ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   AXGT (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/211846-axgt.html)

vindaloo 22 May 2003 12:24 AM

AKA my 'other' car.

I'd always thought to tidy up the AX so it looked 'like new(ish)' and upgrade the running gear (Saxo hubs and VTR or VTS engine). However, in comparison to the P1 it's a slow tinny box that leans around corners. :-(

The upsides are that it weighs just over 700KG (without me) and given the right level of TLC should handle pretty keenly.

So what do I do with it?
1) Nothing - just flog it.
2) Uprate for the road.
3) Strip it out and trackday it.
4) Any other original suggestions (no apache gunships or jetfuelled dragsters mind).

Vindaloo.

Tim-Grove 22 May 2003 12:39 AM

I was under the impresion the AXGT's handeled well for a little hatch??

MooseRacer 22 May 2003 12:41 AM

They do handle well :confused: Sure they roll, but they're great fun to hustle along.

NotoriousREV 22 May 2003 07:06 AM

Strip it for track day usage and drop a Peugeot Mi-16 lump in there. I reckon it'd fit, the 1.4 lump is the same TU unit found in the 205XS, I believe.

Kev-G 22 May 2003 07:34 AM

You'd be struggling to fit an Mi in the space available (it certainly wouldn't be a straight fit). The Mi is a XU engine (sits tilted back), as opposed to a TU which is upright.

Kev-G

NotoriousREV 22 May 2003 09:33 AM

Good point, certainly Citroen didn't use any XU motor in the AX, they even developed a TUD motor instead of using the XUD of the Peugeot, so maybe there's no way it will fit? There's a challenge if ever there was one... ;)

vindaloo 22 May 2003 03:49 PM

Oops, the AX must have found out it was being discussed.

Going to work this AM. First time I hit the brakes, the rears locked up and wouldn't free up. So I had to take the P1 to work :-) after persuading the AX to get back home dragging it's ar*e.

Went home lunchtime and tried it out again over the potholes down to my garage and all's fine. You'd swear that there was nothing wrong.

It must be something to do with leaving it standing with the handbrake on firmly in all of this crappy weather we're having ATM.

Time to find a S*xo rear axle I think....

Vindaloo.

Paulo P 22 May 2003 03:52 PM

Vindaloo

I think they are cracking little cars :D I used to drive my neighbours one all the time. How old is your one?

Paul :)

Boss Hogg 22 May 2003 05:56 PM

trackday - or race in 750MC stock hatch

Blairc 22 May 2003 06:10 PM

Have to agree little cars made of tin but goes round the corners quite nicely. Imagine one of those with a 2 litre lump in it!

Just as a point of information one of my mates has a AX GTI for sale if anyone is interested, just drop me an e-mail.

Ralf 22 May 2003 06:40 PM

Talking about my GTi, it had the perfect set-up for the Nurburgring, though it had not enough power for the straights or the long uphill section. In town it was most fun, its light weight weighing up its (relative) lack of power. Keep it for the city (if you live in one). It's good enough for any legal - ish speeds ;)

vindaloo 22 May 2003 07:57 PM

My AXGT is a 1990 with 14" wheels. 1360 K2A 8v engine with a solex 32/34 carb. and a semi-clockwork dizzy.
The road plan involves it looking as anonymous as possible but going as fast as possible. The looking anonymous bit also means it can't be loud as that'll give the game away too soon.

ellisp81 22 May 2003 08:10 PM

my cousij has a ax gt which is lower than a worms whatsit.

wot engines fit in without to much work?

any other ideas for upgrading the car would be a great help

vindaloo 23 May 2003 02:21 PM

I'll first state that I haven't done any of this, just kept my ear to the ground on several AX forums for the last 12 months or more.

In terms of the engine, almost any Citroen/Peugeot TU series can be made to fit. Later models changed the bolt pattern to connect to the gearbox, so it's best to ensure they fit or buy both.
Inlet and exhaust manifolds also vary in terms of spacing and bolt patterns (I think?).

As for electrics, any mk1 car could need a significant amount of work as the loom is flaky to start with (mine is :-). Fitting mapped ignition and especially injection could be interesting.

Also there's little room for esoteric inlet manifolds as the engine, bonnet, firewall and brake transfer frame thingy egt in the way.

Vindaloo.

RB5_245 23 May 2003 02:40 PM

Why not just use nitrous, If the engine pops you can pick up a new one for 200 squid!

My GT used to lock up the back before the front every time, i like'd it so kept it that way till it failed an mot, brake balance controller!