ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Scanner kaput? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/210167-scanner-kaput.html)

hutton_d 17 May 2003 01:56 PM

Hi,

Had a problem with my scanner for a while. Finally got around to checking it out.

Basically, when I run the scan SW it comes up with 'Please connect your scanner' ... Well, it is connected properly etc.

What have I done?

a) uninstalled the HW and SW from the system. Rebooted and installed as per the manual - several times. With a couple of drivers - both of which have worked with no problems in the past.

b) took the HW to bits and pulled out the USB 4-port hub I have - even though the scanner is on one of the two built-in ports. The card did have a problem - it had some marks on the connectors which an erasor fixed. When I rebooted the system it was recognised and drivers for that reinstalled. Still no joy with the scanner though.

c) my printer and scanner are on the two built-in ports. I can swap the printer between both and it works with no other changes.

d) the printer cable on the scanner doesn't make it work

e) a new cable doesn't make any difference

f) pluuging into a new USB port gives the 'New Hardware Found' window (the CORRECT hardware is found!) but when the drivers have finished installing the original problem is still there.

So, I reckon the scanner must be boogered! BUT I'd like to see if anyone has any furthur suggestions that I may not have tried. Definitely not averse to chucking this one out 'cos it only cost me about £40 3 years ago ..... Just rather get this going if it was possible.

So, any bright ideas please feel free to shout.
Actually, if you agree that I've done all that I can please also say!

Cheers

Dave

Fig 17 May 2003 02:56 PM

What make/model scanner and what OS?

I had a similar problem with an HP scanner on XP Pro - couldn't get it working no matter what I tried (new drivers/cables/different USB port etc), but put it back onto a 98SE machine and it worked first time and every time thereafter.

hutton_d 17 May 2003 05:20 PM

Forgot those minor details .... :-)

Agfa Snapscan 1212u - USB scanner
HP Kayak 2x550MHz PIII's
W2K SP2

Was working fine. Done nowt before it went funny. Tried the above since it has and still nowt ...

Dave

WREXY 18 May 2003 01:57 AM

I've got the Hewlett Packard Scanjet 3300C. Had the same problems as Dave. Tried everything. Would not work.

Turns out to be a faulty power pack. The one that goes into the electricity power point. I took it apart by cutting it, (no screws), found a blown fuse, replaced it, but it keeps blowing it. There are no repairable parts in the pack so I need a new pack. Problem is a new pack is worth more than the scanner, :eek: so now it looks like I'll be buying a new scanner. :rolleyes:

Talk about waste!

Cheers,

Wrexy.

hutton_d 18 May 2003 04:02 PM

Cheers Wrexy. Tested my powerpack and it's giving 21.5V instead of 16V. Dunno if that's gonna screw up the scanner or not. I'll see if I can mail Agfa.

I'll have to see if I can harras a neighbour to install it on their computer and see what happenes ....

Dave

Fig 18 May 2003 09:19 PM

AFAIK Meroncourt are still the service agents for Agfa scanners in the UK.