ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Scotland (https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-28/)
-   -   Strange Camera's (https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-28/209639-strange-cameras.html)

chrisyd 15 May 2003 07:17 PM

Did anybody see all the camera's placed on bridges around cumbernauld today, big heavy duty ones and small hand held ones on tripods on the back road at the sewage works ?????, i'm thinking traffic volume monitoring but could it be somethin else ???.

PaulC555 15 May 2003 08:01 PM

yeh - they have been there the last two days, facing a different direction yesterday....dont think they are speed related....but then again you can never be sure.....dont see any traffic police about though...

John Stevenson 15 May 2003 08:28 PM

Methinks they are surveying traffic levels re: M80 / Auchenkilns Interchange work.

---john---

(Though I did see one flash this morning Chris, just as you passed it :o)

trance 15 May 2003 10:25 PM

Flash john, it nearly fell off it's tripod!!

Hos 15 May 2003 11:17 PM

double post

[Edited by Hos - 5/15/2003 11:19:46 PM]

Hos 15 May 2003 11:18 PM

Saw something like this on Wednesday around 6pm near the start of the M73, looking down off the gartcosh/muirhead overpass. (1st bridge you come to from the A80 from heading for carlisle)

I came off at that junction and was quite shocked to be honest as it looked like a serious bit of kit - 2 to 3 cameras on tripods pointing down at the road off the bridge.

I just thought it was some sort of speed trap type thing as they had a White unmarked Van with one bloke standing by the cameras and a white unmarked ford puma with 2 blokes sitting inside.

[Edited by Hos - 5/15/2003 11:21:15 PM]

Marky-San 15 May 2003 11:37 PM

Hope its not speed related - the M73 is my private test ground.

alter_ego 16 May 2003 02:10 AM

This looks like more than a coincidence.
Travelling westbound into Glasgow on the M8 near Easterhouse, about 11:30 yesterday (Thursday), there was an orange cased device on a pedestrian overbridge. I assumed at the time it was survey work for the large groundworks being done on the North side of the road. Now I'm not so sure.

The Saint 16 May 2003 07:12 AM

Marky,

Its not your private test ground any more: this site is monitored by the police.

Saint

Langy@Work 16 May 2003 12:44 PM

I noticed these heading from Glasgow from the auchenkillens (sp) roundabout last night about 6, near filled my pants when i clocked them, both lanes :eek:!

Then further up the road they appeared on another bridge, could be wrong but they looked suspiciously like speed cameras to me. Like the ones using constant recording to gain average speed but as said earlier could (read - hope!:rolleyes:) be monitoring traffic volume

Marky-San 16 May 2003 01:09 PM

Saint, how do you know that then? I'm just waiting on the obligatory speed camera being set up on this road.

Marky-San

chrisyd 16 May 2003 02:37 PM

If they are recording video nasty's then a certain Mr Trance could be in trouble for a certain undertaking manouver yesterday evening which was in perfect timing of the cameras. You will have to learn to drive sensibly like me gregg.

P.s. liked your pufferfish impression trying to get up on the board on the park yesterday, hows the ribs ....

John, ave you been tweekin your suspension, car looked quite low down yesterday.

Chris

John Stevenson 16 May 2003 03:35 PM

Chris, it had a fat boy in the driver seat, hence the ride height

:)

trance 16 May 2003 06:44 PM

As said mr crispy d, this site is monitored by the police so keep it stum!!!

The Saint 16 May 2003 08:20 PM

Some very nice officer was "persuading" someone I know on-line to admit to an offence "and be a man".

Tosh. They are here. You have been warned.

Inspector Saint

JasonO 19 May 2003 12:38 PM

If the police are montioring the site, then maybe they can let us know what's going on on our roads, these extra cameras of unknown origin are a danger, as many motorists do emergency slow downs when they see them.

I noticed these cameras on the A79/8 last week, both in Prestwick and near Troon.

I was lucky to notice the driver in front of me, slowing down from sillyfast speed to sillyslow speed, just in time for me to avoid rear ending him.

Like I say, unmarked cameras are a danger, it's bad enough with the marked ones. :(

New To Scoob 19 May 2003 01:06 PM

A bit off topic here, but I agree with the cameras cause accidents statement, I was driving up the A90 last night sticking to 70mph as I always do on that road when I started to gain on a HGV, unfortunately somebody was closing on me in the outside lane so I let off the power until the other car past, just as I started to pull out the 4rse spotted the camera and slammed on their brakes I almost ended up in the back of this idiot thankfully I wasn't too far out so I could pull back into the inside lane and avoid him.
I support cameras in the correct areas eg towns outside schools and where speed limits change from 60's to 30's and stuff like that but most are just cash generators :(