ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Advice on CV's and Graduate Jobs (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/208590-advice-on-cvs-and-graduate-jobs.html)

Defiant STI 13 May 2003 10:48 AM

I finish University in a few weeks and unfortunetly the company I was going back to after my placement year went under (after 25 years) so I need a job. Fingers crossed i'll graduate with a first or 2-1 in Software Engineering w/ Honours.

Could anyone give me some good advice as to what to include in my CV etc or give me any good examples or links. Management advice would be particularly helpful. I lost my old CV when my last PC died and the recriutment agencies are hassling me for them ;)

Alternatively any advice on getting a good graduate job would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

SWRTWannabe 13 May 2003 10:51 AM

When I graduated, because I didn't have relevant work experience, I did a side of A4 that had a brief description of each of the courses I had studied and enclosed that with my CV. Whether or not it helped, I don't know, but it does show employers your interests and (hopefully) skills!

Good luck!

Badger Stuffer 13 May 2003 10:52 AM

Go here and click on their CV Guru service. Worth looking at.

Jason.

:D

MarkO 13 May 2003 10:55 AM

Quick tip - you mention graduating with a Software Engineering degree, but also use the 'M'-word. If you are seriously intending to go into development project management, get some hands-on technical experience first (i.e., get a development job).

As a seasoned developer I can tell you that if you try to waltz into a development project as a manager, fresh from graduating, you'll get little or no respect from anyone. :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that academic IT is very different from commercial IT. Whilst a degree in software development is a superb grounding (I graduated in Computer Science) the world of commercial development is completely different from what you'll learn at Uni. :)

Defiant STI 13 May 2003 10:59 AM

Thanks for the advice but I meant advance from managers about CV's and what they look for / dismiss. I would like a managerial role later on but I appreciate that I need significant experience. I spent 12 months working on control systems but that's about it for experience in my actual sector.

I just want a 9-5 to gain some experience and regular income :D

MarkO 13 May 2003 11:11 AM

Oh, I see.

Just one thing - didn't your degree course mention anything about backing up important files (such as CVs)? ;) :p

rik1471 13 May 2003 11:17 AM

below the belt... :rolleyes:

Defiant STI 13 May 2003 11:18 AM

LOL, I know ;) The truth is I backed up the drive 6 months prior to it "dying" and then lost the CD backup! It's a mistake I don't intend to make again.

The course itself dealt with alot of theory and a fair bit of practical application but nothing of any depth. I learnt more on my placement year than during the previous 2 accedemic years.

I was just hoping that all you IT graduate types out there who have been in the same boat as me would have some good advice.

MarkO 13 May 2003 11:28 AM

If it helps, my CV is here. It's not really a graduate one though, so probably not particularly helpful. :D

Defiant STI 13 May 2003 11:41 AM

Thanks! Loads of experience there, I might borrow the format ;)