ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   STi5 intercooler onto a '98 UK car (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/208185-sti5-intercooler-onto-a-98-uk-car.html)

alcazar 12 May 2003 10:38 AM

This is apparently a worthwhile mod, especially as the car is due to have a LINK ECU fitted soon.
Does anyone know if:
a) it's a straightforward swop?
b) I'll need any extra bits, eg hoses?
c) Is it also worth fitting the Samco hoses at the same time? Or maybe I HAVE to?
d) If doing hoses, are coolant ones worth it at the same time?
Any advice will be gratefully recieved. I've done a search over the last year, and came up with a thread that SEEMED to say it was easy, but then contradicted itself, and petered out before reaching a conclusion.
Cheers,
Alcazar

alcazar 12 May 2003 02:17 PM

Come on lads, surely someone has done this?
Alcazar

madou 12 May 2003 02:54 PM

MY98 UK, STi V intercooler, Link

a) Mounting points are the same
b) Yes, you need a dump valve take off pipe made, there is no room to surface mount dump valve. Ian at Hayward and Scott does these, you then need to drill and thread this to the STi V intercooler
c) You don't have to if you have got the STi metal 'Y' pipe
d) No, unless you like the look

alcazar 12 May 2003 10:07 PM

Thanks for that response, things are clearer.
Does the bit about drilling and threading refer to the intercooler, the pipework, or both?
Can I then still fit an aftermarket dumpvalve from a '98 car,(as this is already on order), or will it not fit?

Cheers, Alcazar

madou 13 May 2003 07:54 AM

Drilling and threading refer to mounting dump valve take off pipe on the front right hand face of the intercooler only

You can still fit a MY98 aftermarket dump valve, I use a Forge re-circulating dump valve

Tone Loc 13 May 2003 12:20 PM

How much is this going to cost you? Autospeed did a test of all the various Subaru intercoolers and to honest there wasn't much in it between the Sti intercoolers and uk ones.... a bit more benefit going from version 3/4 to version 5/6 tho. If it's costing a fair bit to do this i simply wounldn't bother.

Tony.

alcazar 13 May 2003 01:26 PM

Around the £200 mark.
Worth it? Or not??
Alcazar

Tone Loc 14 May 2003 08:23 AM

I'd say no.... spend the money elsewhere or put it towards a FMIC.

Tony.

AndrewC 14 May 2003 11:07 AM

If you're willing to DIY you can pickup a used EVO5/6 FMIC for about £125-£150, plus about the same again on pipework you can have a FMIC which is good for - how much power did tweenierob's car make? - for not alot more than a STi i/c and hoses.

Andrew...

NENO 30 May 2003 12:10 PM

madou

I'm trying to sort the same thing for my car ie sti5 intercooler onto a UK 97.

Does this pipe that H&S make fit over the standard hole or do you have to make a new one?

Any pics would be most welcome!!

Mike