ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Scotland (https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-28/)
-   -   Knockhill yesterday (11 May), anybody go? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-28/208166-knockhill-yesterday-11-may-anybody-go.html)

bladerider 12 May 2003 10:01 AM

I saw quite a few Impreza's there yesterday. Anybody Scoobnetters there?
--------------
I got to meet ex three times formula 1 world champion Nelson Piquet, and his son, they were friendly and approachable. Nelson junior (silly sod) lost control just after the hairpin when he was showing off after winning the formula 3 race. I reckon he's definitely a future formula 1 driver though.
I got showered in champagne, and I was standing directly behind him during the press photograghs.
And the noise when the GT cars thundered by on their first lap was enough to wake up the dead.

kart_man 12 May 2003 12:40 PM

Just me and you I guess mate !! I took the skyline up, but there were quite a few scoobies around.
Just had a look at the mosler website and you can buy one of those babies for $149,000 ready to race ! I'm raiding my piggy bank tonight !!

Amanda-Jane 12 May 2003 01:15 PM

I was there with Andy and the wee fella, we parked down by the hairpin as I was frozen and sat in the car most of the time. Carol Smilie walked past with the kids and hubby wandering behind her!

The noise of the GT's was great but after being at the F1 last week the noise seemed a lot quieter!! :)

What colour is your skyline kart_man? Saw a black one as we were leaving. There was also a black STi7 parked just next to us at one point.

AJ

kart_man 12 May 2003 01:38 PM

The noise is nothing like F1 that's for sure, but at least there's no traction control spoiling the rev'ing of the engines !!! F1 hasn't sounded quite the same since they introduced it :(. Where did you see/hear the cars - Spain ?? Usually try and catch the British GP but it's getting too expensive so am thinking of heading to New Zealand via Malasia next year, to catch the GP at Sepang (and maybe back via Melbourne 2 weeks later) ! Probably be cheaper than Silverstone once you've bought a couple of burgers and a drink !! ;)

The skyline's a very deep purple colour. It was parked up by the main gate, and we left just after the second GT race (the cold got to us too !!). You weren't in the RB5 were you - I saw one parked down next to the T&C stand ??

bladerider 12 May 2003 02:36 PM

Our Impreza's were far more exclusive than those common as muck TVR's. Everywhere you looked there was a Griffith, a Tuscan, a Cerbera, Chimera, etc. Lucky gits! Not to mention the blue Diablo getting loads of attention. (Oh, if only!)
I saw The RB5 parked next to the T & C stand as well. I was parked on the hill just behind it and slightly to the left.
So this is May, I prefered March. I had to keep going back to the car for a heat. (black WRX import, with red rally spec front mudflaps)

[Edited by bladerider - 5/12/2003 2:39:03 PM]

[Edited by bladerider - 5/12/2003 2:39:41 PM]

Amanda-Jane 12 May 2003 03:25 PM

Yeah was in Barcelona but don't forget that the Aussie GP is before the Malysian GP! :)

Not sure why this was but only the BAR of Jenson Button and the Minardi of Justin Wilson made this "boom" noise as they changed gear just going over the start line (we were in the Grandstand and amazing seats :p) I will never forget the noise but it was 26 euros for 2 baguettes with what they called kebab and 2 cans of coke, so not that much cheaper on the old food stuffs!!!

AJ

kart_man 12 May 2003 04:09 PM

You're right - the ozzy one's always first isn't it !! Oops !!
I was actually hoping to go out for the Malaysian one, fly back to Oz 2 weeks later to discover I'd missed it and then have to stay another 11 months till the next one !!! ;)... You've blown my cunning plan !

We're actually trying to get some definite dates from the tracks to book around, but the official dates aren't released until November !!! Not very handy for booking ahead !! Just going to have to get the provisional dates, book around that and then pay the change surcharge if the dates move.

Can't believe it was nearly 20 quid for food and drinks in Spain though ! I thought it was just the British GP that ripped everyone off !! Better start practising my sandwich making :D

Dave

William Ball 12 May 2003 05:02 PM

>>Our Impreza's were far more exclusive than those common as muck TVR's. Everywhere you looked there was a Griffith, a Tuscan, a Cerbera, Chimera, etc. Lucky gits!

You could of course join them - my Cerb is up for sale!!
When I arrived at KH, I saw a gap beside a yellow 911 [turbo I think], and thought I'd park next to him just to demonstrate that TVR yellow is real yellow, while in comparison Porsche yellow is just a dull mustard :)

There seemed something scoobyish next to the TVR's though - Town and Country?? Craig, with far better Scoob recognition skills that me, was surprised that there was a new Scoob something-or-other as they were all meant to have been sold. Make any sense to anyone here?

WB

kart_man 12 May 2003 05:06 PM

Hi Willy,

Saw the car but didn't spot you ! Were you hiding in the warmth of the TVR hospitality ??

Dave

William Ball 12 May 2003 05:13 PM

Certainly was :) :) :)
First time I've had a free ticket for anything like that. Most definitely the way to see a race at KH; warm marquee, bacon rolls for breakfast, nice lunch, afternoon tea, bar....KH/Glanvarigill hospitality certainly to be recommended.

Just got to work on getting a ticket for next year now.

WB

GM 12 May 2003 06:42 PM

I spent the weekend observing at the chicane. The speed the F3s were carrying through the corner was stunning.

Janner 12 May 2003 07:33 PM

You are all going on about these cool cars but did anyone see the real star of the show? The MR2 with the Ferrari bodykit in a tasteful oil colour. Immaculate down to the finest detail including the toyota stamped window and folding mirrors. Had to get a photo :)

I sold my MR2 and got a P1...............what a mistake I just didn't see the potential.