ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Midband Prices Officially Announced (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/207268-midband-prices-officially-announced.html)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 09 May 2003 09:07 AM

Here

That's if no-one has seen it & it wasn't covered exactly in the thread the other day...

boxst 09 May 2003 10:11 AM

Hello

That's expensive. I can't find the details of how much per hour / minute it is after you have used your 75?

Steve.

CEL 09 May 2003 01:29 PM

What a rip off :eek:. surely no one is going to take up this serice? :confused:

hutton_d 09 May 2003 02:42 PM

Steve - I have HH and pay 2xlocal call charges when using the 128K service. i.e it's then using both 'phone lines. (With BTOpenworld anyway). I rarely use the 128K esxcept when downloading something fairly large. But I'd guess that Midband would be similar as the other costs are identical to HH.

Don't think I'll *upgrade* ...

Dave

PS: went for HH 'cos ADSL doesn't work at my house (but it does at several neighbours who I know for a fact are actually furthur from the exchange than me!!) and I needed two 'phone lines....

Chris L 09 May 2003 07:51 PM

It's a shame they don't introduce IDSL (ISDN DSL) which combines the two B channels and D signalling channel of an ISDN2 circuit to give you an IDSL connection of 144K - but I guess that would kill ISDN stone dead and ISDN is something that BT makes a lot of money out of.

Chris

Puff The Magic Wagon! 09 May 2003 08:14 PM

Strange, 'cos they don't make bundles out of HH...

carl 09 May 2003 11:29 PM

The official rhetoric mentions that the £35 includes two phone lines (which it does, by definition). I pay NTL £48.49 per month for two phone lines and 600 kbit/s broadband. IIRC the 128 kbit/s (now 160 kbit/s) cable service is 16.99 so for two phone lines + broadband that would be £40.49 per month.

Of course the two key differentiators are:
1) I can use both phone lines and the cable modem if I choose
2) I actually need and want two phone lines.

If you only want one phone line and net access, it doesn't look such great value :(

Puff The Magic Wagon! 10 May 2003 04:40 PM

Carl

YOU can also have an "always on" connection with no extra charge after a certain amount of hours :rolleyes:

That's the bit I'm p1$$ed about 'cos I reckon there's 720 hours roughly in a month & even 160 hrs a month @ a very conservative business rate of 20 days & 8 hrs in a working month - means that I/wifey can't work from home full time as we'd like to :(

I can live with 64/128k throughput as its workable with all my VPN stuff (128 obviously better than 64) but its that maximum hours bit.

carl 10 May 2003 07:31 PM

You're right, NTL broadband isn't "time limited" but it is now bandwidth-limited (you get kicked off if you exceed 1GB of traffic for three consecutive days in a 14 day period).

Puff The Magic Wagon! 10 May 2003 08:32 PM

Well, with VPN, email & CS, I'd be lucky to hit that limit!

Hoping my co will buy me a leased line at some point or that my community win their EEDA Broadband Competition that we've entered for ;)

carl 10 May 2003 08:42 PM

How far is your local exchange from the trigger threshold, or is it a question of distance?

AFAIK the trigger threshold has recently been lowered and the distance limits increased.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 10 May 2003 09:29 PM

Well, my local town is nowhere near trigger & my exchange has about 30 people registered...