ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   been callenged to a 1/4 mile by a CTR and a MINI (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/206173-been-callenged-to-a-1-4-mile-by-a-ctr-and-a-mini.html)

dba 06 May 2003 03:53 PM

Will i win? York raceway,date to be decided (bit of fun)

The MINI is a Hartge 200bhp conversion,the CTR standard.These 2 cars have both done 15s before.My car is a MY98 Wagon with only a decat centre and Scoobysport back box,other mods are suspension and brakes.

Its a best of 3,using best time from the 3 runs.

what do you think? pretend i'm busy,or have a go?

its just a laugh,so no need for snotty "who cares" replies.

slacker 06 May 2003 03:56 PM

don't come back if you fail and trade your scoob in for a maxi

Puff The Magic Wagon! 06 May 2003 03:58 PM

You should do...

TVR Gary 06 May 2003 04:06 PM

You will win

neostar 06 May 2003 04:07 PM

Providing you know how to make the most of 4WD on launch you should win easily. You will be half way down the strip before either of those get any real form of traction.

Will be interesting to see the times from that

TVR Gary 06 May 2003 04:09 PM

I reckon you should run 14's in the scoob. Takes a bit of getting off the line but once your away you will nail um

dba 06 May 2003 04:11 PM

Providing you know how to make the most of 4WD on launch you should win easily

loads of revs then dump the clutch and floor the bugger?

and tips welcome...........................(this is a friendly grudge match)

TVR Gary 06 May 2003 04:13 PM

I started with aroung 3 - 3.5K revs and let her go ....... Over the line in 4th does the trick

dba 06 May 2003 04:24 PM

dont know when the next one is,the CTR guy is getting back to me

dba 06 May 2003 04:36 PM

this is excellent encouragement!!

CTR and MINI blokes are still insisting the CTR is as fast as a classic,and the MINI is faster.

should be close though.I will take out the rears and spare wheels,and all my mini discs,and not eat for a week

spanner75 06 May 2003 04:39 PM

ask gadget daz if you can borrow his car , belive he is racing concorde next week and it's to close to call!!

gareth

should win m8 the shame of loosing to a mini will help

dba 06 May 2003 04:42 PM

lol,yep,the shame of losing to a MINI should add an extra 30bhp,but the Hartge conversion aint to be sniffed at
though

CHRIS_D 06 May 2003 04:45 PM

you will win, no doubt about it

i did 13.5 in my UK MY98

full decat, blitz filter and dawes

chris

MarkCSC 06 May 2003 05:09 PM

Dial in 5 to 6k rpm or more with clutch fully depressed, depending on how you like your car, then just dump clutch as you mash the right pedal to the floor.
You will then fry the clutch. Yours is uprated P20SPD, yes?

By bringing the clutch up quickly but not brutally dumping it will see you get good times without fecking the clutch.

As clutch + flywheel cost £1000!

Badger Stuffer 06 May 2003 05:10 PM

IMO..........The Mini will slaughter you.

Just my opinion but I have been in a 195BHP 2 ltr mini when I owned a 260BHP Scooby and the Mini was very fast. Forget about turbo. The power to weight done it. Traction could be a problem for the Mini but if he knows how to get the power down he will leave you standing.

<Zips up flame suit>

dba 06 May 2003 05:16 PM

Badger Stuffer,

you aren't alone with your theory!

Butkus 06 May 2003 05:53 PM

Does the Mini have traction control? Does that help in situations like this?

brett555 06 May 2003 06:01 PM

dba ......... get yourself a dawes quickly ... and an ecutek remap :) should safely up power a bit.

dont tell the ctr and mini owner ...

brett

dba 06 May 2003 06:03 PM

Kosy,

its a 200bhp tuned MINI,with tc

so he should be quick

dba 06 May 2003 06:05 PM

Bret,

can't do an Ecutek on a MY98,have to get a Unichip,and that leaves a lump in the carpet and he might check :)

might sneak a dawes though but dont want win tarnished by cheating

vindaloo 06 May 2003 06:06 PM

Thing is they're not all that 'mini' these days. They're compact enough on the inside but quite a bit bigger on the outside.

's probably why they call it a 'MINI', as 'Mini' doesn't sound big enough and 'Maxi' has a bit of an image problem :-)

Interested to know what occurs though as MINIs have a rep. for making the best of whatever wheels/tyres are fitted.

dba 06 May 2003 06:51 PM

so Broccers is sneakily hiding some mods is he?! :)

looks like the times are very similar,around 14 1/2 secs,so should be an even contest.

and i never made the classic bit up! you just can't read :)

this all started becuase he said the CTR is AS fast as an Impreza,and the your MINI is faster.I only took up the challenge against his CTR,not your MINI.Will be fun to race all the same

but now I know he has some mods.....................if its a remap/chip then its a void contest.If its an exhaust then i will let him off because his engine wont benefit as much as my centre decat so we will call it quits on mods :)

mn_angrybeats 06 May 2003 07:00 PM

Once it's moving and the traction problems are no longer a problem the CTR & my MINI are pretty nippy, hence why it probably feels closer on the road.

Standard Hartge, independently timed.
0-60 in 6.7secs
0-100 in 16.1
30-70 in 5.2 ( Timed by Autocar )

If only the MINI has a close ratio box, can nearly do a ton in third gear and it's got six speeds :-( not good 1/4 miles.

Might change my 17" S Spokes too, huge un-sprung weight doesnt help..

You going to Gti international ? I'll give you a spin..

Broccers only has a induction kit

dba 06 May 2003 07:05 PM

induction kit? coh!

nope,not doing GTI int,working

hades 06 May 2003 07:13 PM

Once a mini like that is rolling and can put the power down, I'd bet on it beating a standard scoob. Slightly more power, less weight and less transmission losses. However, the 1/4 mile suits the scoob perfectly as a good launch will be worth a second or so. I have heard of a 280bhp scoob beating a 400bhp+ 2wd Sierra cossie 2 times out of 3 over a 1/4 mile. The Cossie had a much higher terminal velocity, and was massively quicker from 40-50mph up, but struggled to catch up from the launch.

( R6 CDW ) 06 May 2003 10:43 PM

Why shouls u not mod up too??

Those feckers are tuned upto there eyeballs, Spend some cash then go and thrash in the 1/4 dash.

P20SPD 05 June 2003 04:14 PM

You will be lucky if you get 3 runs in at York;)

You should win, easy IMO, well a good second at least.

Dial in 5 to 6k rpm or more with clutch fully depressed, depending on how you like your car, then just dump clutch as you mash the right pedal to the floor.

When is next one at York?

[Edited by P20SPD - 5/6/2003 4:15:20 PM]

Doggy 05 June 2003 04:27 PM

CTR are crap i have beaten 2 at Elvington.
Mini you should beat too.

I have a MY00 UK Turbo and only have an air filter and back box.
Am running 14.05sec for the 1/4.
Yours should be quicker.

Tell us how you get on.

[Edited by Doggy - 5/6/2003 4:27:56 PM]

Kosy 05 June 2003 05:38 PM

LOL @ at the possibility of a MINI beating your Scooby :D

[Edited by Kosy - 5/6/2003 5:38:59 PM]

mn_angrybeats 05 June 2003 06:26 PM

Hello Dave,

What Dave failed to mentioned was I mentioned about my car biting the heals of an Impreza, I didnt know what Scooby it was Dave made up the classic bit. Looks like it was a bug eye whatever that is.

Last time at Santa Pod did pretty poorly, it was slippy but it's no excuse, the traction control is useless to be honest just cuts the power dead and forgot to switch it off twice so only managed 2 decent runs, Still only a crappy 15.5 secs with 94mph trap speed.

I had major traction problems, my Cooper S also weighs over 1250kg's with me sat in it so it's a heavy lardy spam chariot..

My car has the Hartge conversion + Full Milltek exhuast including the Manifold + Sports Cat, oh and some ecu tweaking + induction kit.

I reakon it's around 225hp with 195lb/ft, despite it being Dynoed more at AmD..

I should get around 14.5 - 14.6 if I get a good run..

Broccers CTR is slightly weaked too, and he has already post a 14.6 or something time a York.

Dave with your traction advantage and boxer grunt if you lose mate they wont have you back on here, you will never live it down :-)

[Edited by mn_angrybeats - 5/6/2003 6:28:18 PM]