ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Washing Machine Recommendation (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/206092-washing-machine-recommendation.html)

Tiggs 06 May 2003 01:09 PM

Washer is busted!

need a new one- is it worth paying extra for anyone in particular or is a cheaper one as good- in otherwords what do i get for more money? flashy LCD and stuff or any proper benifits?

T

beemerboy 06 May 2003 01:11 PM

i swear by 2 makes, zanussi(sp) or AEG.

never had probs with either of these 2 makes.

be interesting to know the views of others!!

BB:)

IWatkins 06 May 2003 01:22 PM

Our old HotPoint is 12 years old and still going strong. Wouldn't buy anything other than HotPoint or Zanussi (sp?).

LG are doing an internet ready one though ;)

Cheers

Ian

Brendan Hughes 06 May 2003 01:27 PM

Have been looking at these. Thoughts:

I only ever use 2 wash programmes, and perhaps a half load button.

Max spin speed about the most important factor.

Reliability probably quite important, they won't develop a revolutionary (groan!) washing machine in the next 10 yrs. Unlike a dishwasher perhaps, where my friend was told it would last 20 yrs and she replied "I'll probably want a new one before then" - fair comment!

I'd go for siemens or AEG also. Miele a bit OTT.

TelBoy 06 May 2003 01:28 PM

One word - Miele.

Six words - Miele, if you can afford it.

druddle 06 May 2003 01:39 PM

I would say Miele too. Outstanding washers. Not quite as colourful as my Dyson tho. Thats bloody superb !!

Dave

PG 06 May 2003 01:54 PM

AEG or Miele

Depends on budget

NotoriousREV 06 May 2003 01:56 PM

Get down to your local "graded goods" seller, get whatever they have for £50 and do the same again in 5 years time when it breaks down ;)

alcazar 06 May 2003 02:01 PM

Do what our local repairman says: buy a cheap one with a name, (Indesit etc), and a 5 year service agreement. After 5 years , the first time it goes wrong, chuck it up the road and start again.
Alcazar

Suresh 06 May 2003 02:17 PM

Have an AEG washer and tumble dryer. The ECU on the dryer failed after 18 months. AEG replaced it for a nominal fee even though the guarantee was over. (No ECU reset or wrong fuel jokes please)

Otherwise it does the job looks good and has a nice 'time remaining' display.

Miele kit was too pricey IMHO.

Suresh

Dunk 06 May 2003 02:22 PM

It's cheaper in the long run

D

ChrisB 06 May 2003 02:24 PM

LMAO @ Dunk.

I'll be in the market for a washer soon and was looking in Apollo 2000.

A 5 year service plan on most washers is only £40/£50 less than the cost of the damn thing in the first place! :eek:

south-star 06 May 2003 02:25 PM

Yeah, but whashing machines dont leave you after 3 years and claim half your dough!!!!!!!!!!

:D..

mwp 06 May 2003 02:26 PM

Miele

TopBanana 06 May 2003 02:26 PM

My hotpoint just blew up after 4 years... ordered a Hoover to replace it

Tiggs 06 May 2003 02:35 PM

"Do what our local repairman says: buy a cheap one with a name, (Indesit etc), "

except our indesit has been crap from day 1 and flooded the floors in biblical fashion. i didnt need a warrenty.......i need a flippin ark.

T

ChrisB 06 May 2003 02:43 PM

Just to add...

My Mum & Sister are happy with their Zanussi's, so I'll listen to a women for once and go the same way :D

beemerboy 06 May 2003 02:48 PM

My hotpoint just blew up after 4 years... ordered a Hoover to replace it
what?? and now you 'vacuum' your clothes clean??

hahaharr
BB:)

SWRTWannabe 06 May 2003 03:42 PM

We've got an Indesit washing machine, and it's been great - it's eighteen months old and no problems. So my wife says anyway, I don't go near it ;) (No, she's not Russian!)

stevem2k 06 May 2003 03:42 PM

Get the simplest one you can find. No-one uses more than 4 different settings, and all the flashy lights and gizmos are just more stuff to go wrong.

When it dies in 5 years , repeat ..... Probably will have cost you £40/year . A posh one will have to last a long time to work out the same tco.

Steve

Mr Gee 06 May 2003 04:23 PM

I swear by my Boschmatic. I have a washer and a seperate dryer. Had them for the last 5 years and never had a problem with them.

S55 HOT 06 May 2003 05:05 PM

I got a Dyson - very pleased with it.

Vinesh 06 May 2003 05:15 PM

AEG :)

Dont buy Hotpoint, they are ****e. Our previous hotpoint chewed up clothes. So insurance company gave a full refund.

J4CKO 06 May 2003 06:34 PM

Indesit, pants, Miele are amazing, Mother in Law has had one for hundreds of years !

We replaced the ailing Indesit with a Bosch and it hasnt flooded anything !

Luke 06 May 2003 08:01 PM

Miele all day long. Dyson if you like stupid looking plastic objects. I know the truth about Dysons returns and problems. Wouldnt touch one.

dba 06 May 2003 08:43 PM

Miele is what my Hoover repair bought,so i bought one and never saw him again.

never seen a repair man since coming to think of it.£750 is a lot of money but it has a one button memory wash the wife set for me but i forgot which button it is

blkoody good washer she reckons though

tuffer 06 May 2003 09:40 PM

Got a Miele washer and drier, nearly silent in operation, spin gets clothes drier than my old drier and they are built like tanks. Had ours 6 years and never had a problem, not even a tiny one!! They are the Scooby of the JDPower White Product of the year survey!

Allan 06 May 2003 10:58 PM

Just replaced a knackered Bosch (4 years old) with an LG, it's got a direct drive motor, no belts, no brushes, very quite.

It also has a 7kg load, which means we use it less than the Bosch, so should save money.

I factored it to last 5 years which = about £70 PY. A Miele we looked at cost £800, assuming it lasts 10 years = £80 PY. I know Miele are supposed to last more than 10 years but it would probably start to look a bit worn and dated.

Allan

pslewis 06 May 2003 11:54 PM

Mielle - you not only get a machine that lasts, you get a machine thats great while it gets old too!!

Buy one when you are 25 and you will only ever have to buy 2 washing machines all your life!! =£1600

OR

Buy 10 at £249 each = £2495

Pete ................ who runs a Candy!! :rolleyes: :D

jbryant 07 May 2003 09:07 AM

BTW, who is going to listen to the advice of their washing machine repairman when it comes to picking a reliable machine?:rolleyes:

"Buy that one mate, and I'll never need your business again. D'oh!"

Joolz