ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What is the point in having all four wheels lock when i apply the handbrake? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/205576-what-is-the-point-in-having-all-four-wheels-lock-when-i-apply-the-handbrake.html)

sparkster 04 May 2003 08:19 PM

My 93 wrx locks up all four wheels when i apply the handbrake.

I live on a farm and when it snows, there is plenty of room to enjoy a bit of four wheel drift. However,the only drift i'll get when all four wheels lock is into A hedge:eek:

Has anybody else got this with their WRX?

mark@wrx 04 May 2003 08:42 PM

They're all like this unless you spend some large money and buy an adjustable centre diff and an active control unit for it. Then you can handbrake till the cows come home!

sparkster 04 May 2003 08:46 PM

lol - im just so used to using the handbrake as an extension of my left arm that when i found myself pulling it in the snow when i first got my WRX i couldnt believe it. Surely not - a rally car???

I think maybe i'll just keep it as (normal?) if its mega bucks

Thanks

mark@wrx 04 May 2003 09:11 PM

Plus it will fook your center diff!

StickyMicky 05 May 2003 12:38 AM

it locks the diff and not the wheels themselvs?
is that right?
its what i was told lol

Avi 05 May 2003 12:40 AM

Tgought it just locked the back wheels.. not the diff.

That's in my Sport though.. maybe the turbo is different.

Once pulled the handbrake in a range rover.. now that definitely does lock the diff.. and didn't like it one bit :D:D

submannz 05 May 2003 01:07 AM

locks the rears only with internal drums on most models, it is the centre diff that locks the front as well

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 05 May 2003 11:13 AM

It acts only on the back wheels. But coz its 4wd, the back wheels are mechanically linked to the fronts.
Most proper rally cars, AFAIK will disengage the centre diff automatically when the handbrake is used, but id guess this would be a very expensive modification.

TonyBurns 05 May 2003 12:47 PM

Stupid question but why do you want to use the handbrake apart from parking up :confused: as you will eventually knacker it and your diffs up......
Also if its snowing you dont NEED to use your handbrake ;) as you can get the tail to slide out quite easily if you provoke it a little ;)

Tony:D

stockcar 05 May 2003 12:49 PM

typeR, etc. with electris adjustable centre diff have handbrake release!!
alyn - as performance

TonyBurns 05 May 2003 12:56 PM

This is a WRX though which doesnt have any release (and no nice ajustable centre diff which you also dont need to use a handbrake with as you can really get the tail out ;):D)

Tony:D

submannz 06 May 2003 10:44 PM

There is a way to do this, connect your fwd fuse under the bonnet to the hand brake switch so whent the hand brake is activated the centre diff is de-activated. Note this is only available on most auto models.

GeeDee 09 May 2003 07:00 PM

I didn't have a problem when I autotested my MY99 WRX. Handbrake worked a treat on rear wheels only, same as it did when I went round the tight hairpin into Padstow recently!

Graham