ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Buying some Defi's (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/205104-buying-some-defis.html)

alcazar 02 May 2003 07:56 PM

Finally decided to take the plunge and invest in some decent gauges, boost, oil temp, and oil pressure.
Anything I should know b4 I get 'em? They're going into a Scoobymania pod onto a '98 Uk car. cheers guys,
Alcazar

mega_stream 02 May 2003 08:20 PM

Only that you will spend more time concentrating on them than the road :D

Serious nice bits of kit these, I wish I would have taken them out my old scoob before I sold it :(

alcazar 02 May 2003 10:26 PM

Cheers for that:D:
did you fit your own, and if so, what tips/drawbacks/pitfalls?
Alcazar

care3 03 May 2003 11:14 AM

only thing is instructions come in japanese,so youll need this site http://www.defi-shop.com/product/dl/cu2/cu2_top.htm
youll need a volt tester to pick up your supplies off the back of your stereo
dead easy:D

TonyBurns 03 May 2003 11:44 AM

Ive got some defi's fitted to my scoob ;) (oil pressure, egt and boost) and really i would dump one of the oil ones (even from the oil pressure one you can tell your oil is warm as it sits around the 3 mark) and get the EGT one instead ;)
They are an excellent bit of kit though and worth having on your scoob :D
Happy motoring when fitted :D:D:D:D:D

Tony:D

swiss scooby 03 May 2003 01:11 PM

When I installed mine I fitted the control unit into the box between the two front seats. I therefore had to buy an extension powercable of about 2 meters. That was the only thing I had to buy extra. Oh, don't forget to also order the 'adaptor-plug' for the Oil-Temperature if you haven't done it already. Don't forget to concentrate on the streets, especially at night!!

mega_stream 03 May 2003 01:15 PM

I fitted mine to the car, wired up the electrics and got mounted the control unit on the side of the centre console where your left leg goes.

I chickened out fitting up the oil pressure and temp sensors, got the dealer to do this while it was being serviced.

Brun 03 May 2003 01:17 PM

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temp???

If that is right what is it gonna tell you bout your car?
I'm thinking AFR, Oil Pressure and oil temp myself, but you've go tme thinking.

:)

TonyBurns 03 May 2003 01:40 PM

Brun,
you can tell alot by how hot the air is flowing from the engine (ie is your engine actually running a little too hot :eek: ) but there is more to it than that and i think that having 2 oil gauges is a waste of time when you can tell by the oil pressure gauge that your oil is hot ;)

Tony:D (still happy with boost, oil pressure and egt gauges ;))

alcazar 03 May 2003 01:45 PM

<<<<When I installed mine I fitted the control unit into the box between the two front seats.>>>

Do you mean the one with the flip up lid and the cupholder? I was wondering where to put mine, I thought the control box was under the bonnet? And that all that cam into the car was a daisy chain for each gauge? Or have I read the instructions wrong?
Alcazar

care3 03 May 2003 02:28 PM

control unit goes inside the car,in reach, so u can hit the record button,set warning levels,press play etc

Tats 03 May 2003 03:15 PM

With the EGT you can tell a lot. Generally speaking...the hotter the egt's the leaner you are running and the cooler the egt's the richer you are running. Here in the US we will usually tune to the egt's.

Nice gauges too! I have the 60mm EGT, boost, and oil pressure and the 52mm oil and water temps.

Cheers.

hypoluxa 03 May 2003 06:13 PM

Tony,

I think your missing the point of an oil temp gauge. After 5 - 10 mins of running your oil will be 'hot', trust me ;) You do not need a temp (or pressure) gauge to tell you this. What you need the gauge for is to tell you how hot the oil actually gets.

If I cruise at 80mph (4k) my oil temps are 10 degrees higher then at 70mph (3.5k) Prolonged use at or above 5000rpm and they are soon up to 120 degrees. How can an oil pressure gauge show this?

swiss scooby 05 May 2003 09:56 PM

<<< Do you mean the one with the flip up lid and the cupholder? >>>

Exactly, that's the place I went for. You just need to drill a little hole in the size of 1 1/2 Defi-plug-diameter (Plug and 4 cables have to go through the hole) at the bottom towards the handbrake. Stick some strong, double adhesive tape to the control unit and attach the lot to the inner, near driver side of the box (mine left/yours right)*lol*. Looks clean, easy to reach and hidden! For the Pod, I just used some (heat resistant!!) clear bathroom silicon paste.