ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Clutch Judder (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/205043-clutch-judder.html)

Chris L 05 April 2003 05:42 PM

Because on a 20 grand + car you shouldn't have things like this. I have never had clutch judder on any other car I've owned or been in. That to me is a problem - a design fault some would say. If isn't a 'problem' why do Subaru replace perfectly 'normal' clutches under warranty?

I had the clutch on my MY00 replaced under warranty for exactly this problem and it has just been agreed that the clutch on my MY01 will be replaced for exactly the same reason.

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 5/4/2003 6:42:49 PM]

Andrewj 02 May 2003 05:01 PM

Just noticed that someone mentioned clutch judder while answering another post.

Is this common? The MY99 Turbo that I bought a couple of months ago from a main dealer seems to suffer from this a little especially when cold.

Any comments?

steve G MAN 02 May 2003 05:18 PM

yea mate i think all classics do i know mine does until she warn :)

Aintbroke dontfix 02 May 2003 05:26 PM

If its got a warranty with it they should skim the flywheel to stop it. If not when it needs replacing, get intouch with TSL motorsport in Nottingham, they put in an AP clutch, STi bearing and lightened flywheel. Well impressed with the result and a nice bunch of lads.

Harry_Boy 02 May 2003 05:43 PM

Not just Classics either..... MY02 WRX - same 'characteristic'.

JackClark 02 May 2003 06:10 PM

I had my 01 fixed under warranty.

simb 2 02 May 2003 06:39 PM

I have a MY99 Type R, does the same when cold but fine once she's warm.

nuclear_pond 02 May 2003 07:50 PM

Best advice i had with this is do a couple of high revs standing startd. I tried this in Jan and not had it recur since. Give it a go - lots of revs & let out clutch. Fun too.

STi wanna Subaru 02 May 2003 08:01 PM

do a search and you'll find plenty of info on the subject :)

Riftzone 02 May 2003 08:20 PM

perfectly normal, nowt to worry about...

STi wanna Subaru 02 May 2003 08:25 PM

It's not normal! when will people realise it's a design fault that is 'common' NOT normal......

.....I feel better now :D

If it was normal they would not replace so many clutch's under warranty. I'm on my second new new one now (MY99)

dicky ticker 02 May 2003 11:17 PM

yep
it seems to be a common problem.
had it on my MY97 sport and now on my MY99 turbo. wasn't present on the MY00 P1 i test drove. obviously part of the extra wonga you have to pay.

i read a thread a while ago saying that if you give it lots of revs (3-4k) from a standing start it cleans the clutch. works for me.

cheers
colin

trugoy 02 May 2003 11:29 PM

all true, common problem, a high rev start will sort it out for a while, is a fault that should not be there, AP organic clutch from TSL (£800) will rid you of this problem. A lot of Impreza's suffer this when cold and it does go away when warmed up, it should not happen but has been termed a "they all do that sir" problem and really should not happen but it does, you can get another OE fitted under warranty that will do this again after a while or get the AP fitted that gives you much more torque but costs a few quid, I spent a few quid and it is much better!

Toonman1 04 May 2003 04:55 PM

Plenty do it and it's not a problem. As someone says, get a few revs on and pop the clutch. Shorts it for ages.

Why do people get so steamed up about it? It's not as if the clutch is going to fail because of it.

mikey5T 04 May 2003 09:02 PM

I agree, get to your local dealer and demand it be changed under warranty. We have had 7 clutches in 26000 miles all changed under warranty(MY00). The last one being the new and improved version which seems to have cured the problem at last.If anyone on here feels they have a problem I can assure you it should not be accepted as "Normal" and "They all do that" not on as was said 20 grand + cars.

Mike:(