ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   More whooses, suction and chatter than a hoover (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/202861-more-whooses-suction-and-chatter-than-a-hoover.html)

TVR Gary 26 April 2003 06:34 PM

Afternoon all,

Just got me 300 horse STI8 back from the dealer after its 1000 mile service and Trust induction kit fitment and boy is it good. First chance to really open her up and the power is awesome.
I must say the difference in sound is very extreme. Before the induction kit I got to listen to the trust exhaust and turbo whine but now its a mixture of whooses chatter like the WRC cars and dump valve style gear change noises. Is this usual with induction kits? I pressume so. It isnt obtrusive but it is certainly different.
As for the power my friend had a go just now ( he has a UK 'S' plate classic) and he said the difference in power is outstanding. The grin on my face is very wide and long may it stay there.

Saw loads of classics in Andover today by the way, (all blue)

Cya

mwp 26 April 2003 07:02 PM

gary,

what is the difference between what you've had done and the PPP i've got ?

mark.

myp1 26 April 2003 08:55 PM

gary get a knocklink fitted asap

TVR Gary 28 April 2003 08:00 AM

mwp.

I couldnt tell you what the difference is other than Prodrive remap your ECU and i think fit an uprated fuel pump.

To be honest I dont really care haha, as long as mine is the business thats all that matters to me. The 'trust' gear on my car seems pretty good though.

What is a knocklink and why do I need one?

Old_Fart 28 April 2003 08:38 AM

If they've really given you 300BHP (easily checked over at Power Engineering at Uxbridge if you are near West London) then you may find your car is running lean at the top end as the standard fuel pump isn't up to the job(PE will also check this). The PPP and many aftermarket tuners (using ECUTEK or similar) requires an upgraded pump.
The Knocklink is a little box that gives you a visible indication of whether 'knock' ( or 'det') is occuring..which is another indication of lean running.
Keep on enjoying the car!
Rgds
C

TVR Gary 28 April 2003 03:12 PM

Thanks for the advise old fart. Gonna take her along to a rolling road day or something in a month or so. Gonna give her a couple of thousand miles first to let everything bed in properly.

myp1 28 April 2003 05:07 PM

gary u maybe ok in cooler weather but on a warm day u run the risk of det.knocklink is only about 2-250 incl fitting and is an absolute must to check if u are detting

Harry_Boy 28 April 2003 05:27 PM

Gary - get a knocklink Mate - don't want to hear of your pride & joy being ruined before you get to the rolling road....

TVR Gary 28 April 2003 07:41 PM

OK fellas you have me convinced .....I will ring the dealer tomorrow .....A knocklink is on its way.

Fanx for the advice guys .....