ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   missus made my quote cheaper ?????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/202451-missus-made-my-quote-cheaper.html)

chrisyd 25 April 2003 12:26 PM

This is a very starnge one.

Quote from elephant.com, 26 yr old driver with 3 yrs no claims, clean license and no previous claims on an elise s1 £830.

the missus wanted me to insure her to drive it whilst i'm away so had a quote with her on it, 25 yr old, 1 no claim bonus, 1 previous claim and 3 points on the license.

£722 ???????????, how the hell can it make it cheaper ????????

got me puzzled but thankful for the saving. wont be tellin her just yet she is to be insured though, at least not until i stick on some bean bags to the front & bag to prevent those shopping car park scrathces.

RB5320 25 April 2003 12:31 PM

do you mind if I insure your wife on my scoob aswell? :D

Steve

RLE 25 April 2003 12:48 PM

Yep, I could have saved £80.00 with Tescos by putting my "wife" on the policy. Trouble is I'm not married and despite my girlfriends protests that this is another reason why we should tie the knot, I'm not convinced.

I did query it though and was told that its a sign of accepting further responsibility. I'm more inclined to suggest she's more of a liability but there you go.

IN THE STICKS 25 April 2003 01:03 PM

To insure mine in my wifes name rather than mine was more expensive ....their reason was she was at home all day and more likely to drive it (more of a risk than it being left at the station carpark all day... doh?)

simo 25 April 2003 07:50 PM

Its to do with the fact that insurers quote that women are a better insurance risk (ie less claims) Law of average is that if a wife is on a policy she will drive the car some of the time (ie when driving then the accident risk reduces!!!) so the premium is reduced to reflect this.

best option if offered (imo)is to insure her but don't tell her:).

simon

simb 2 25 April 2003 11:57 PM

This is true in most cases, the Insurance co's see living together (common-law) the same as married, they look at you as being settled down more responsible. Little do they know eh!:D

simb

simb 2 25 April 2003 11:58 PM

P.S. RLE, no need to walk down the isle yet my friend.:)

MARK MORRIS 27 April 2003 12:15 AM

on my my97 adding my wife made it cheaper, on my p1 she made it more expensive, on my sti7 she makes it more, now im with liv vic, they wont insure her as she under 30
mark

forest172 03 May 2003 10:50 AM

My wife is 22 and they quoted me £50 less to add her to the policy on my STI8. Strange but true!!!

corradoboy 06 May 2003 03:57 AM

Has anyone else noticed a striking similarity between tesco and direct lines online quote questionairres. Its uncanny that all 3 of the test quotes I ran came out exactly £30(to the penny) dearer on tesco. one wonders if tesco simply buy directline policies and sell them on at a profit. but i suppose thats business.