ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Slow puncture advice req urgently,,,,,, (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/201054-slow-puncture-advice-req-urgently.html)

Bee 22 April 2003 12:24 AM

BOGUS!! Just noticed that I've managed to pick up a slow puncture on one of my 18's!!

Still to investigate but what is the jackanory with tyre repair? OR should I just get a new tyre??:confused:

The tyres have only been on for about 4 months max...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers. Bee

*Sonic* 22 April 2003 12:30 AM

AFAIK some punctures can be repaired, depends on where it is I think, and the severity of the puncture

probably safer getting a new tyre, or two

SuperFlyGuy 22 April 2003 11:02 AM

May just be leaking around the rims....the seal can sometimes leak giving you a slow puncture, especially on low profiles. Get someone to check it out for you

Tiny 22 April 2003 07:41 PM

Bee
Yeah noticed that i also had a very slow puncture, It was only losing about 5-10psi per week, Had it down to the local tyre place they checked it out and it was a poor rim seal, Build up of laquer around the rim £ 12.95 to sort it though!! Still better than a new tyre;) Hope ya get it sorted...
Tiny..

sparkster 22 April 2003 08:31 PM

Agree with Superflyguy,

I must have hit a stone and the rim was slightly dented and i had a slowie.

Took the wheel off. Got a wooden hammer and worked the rim back into shape. Its perfect now.

NB This was a small dent. If its big, by knocking it back, you are likely to reduce the strength of the alloy and it may fail.

You dont want that to happen on the Motorway!!

Bee 22 April 2003 11:56 PM

Cheers for the replys guys! Much appreciated. Just took the wheel off tonight, looks like I've ran over a tiny thin nail or somethin?

I'll get it checked out in the morning. EVERYTHING crossed! Lol;)

Thanks again peeps!

- Bee

Brun 23 April 2003 12:02 AM

As long as it's not too close to the wall of the tyre a repair will probably be possible :)

Toerag 23 April 2003 02:52 PM

I had a slow punture in one of my Geolandars on the forester. Turned out to be 3!!!! nails, all of which were repaired by me mate dave for a tenner! Haven't put it back on the car yet, but they should be OK as they aren't anywhere near the sidewalls.

Hobbsy 23 April 2003 06:20 PM

I also had a slowey once and the tyre was refitted twice to the undamaged rim. No nails in the tyre got a warranty out of TOYO new tyre supplied and no further leaks. It was put down to tyre flex under load.

Leslie 25 April 2003 05:33 PM

It could be a load of reasons most of which have been mentioned. It is also posssible to have a porous wheel, we used to fix that by painting the wheel rim inside where the tyre goes.

If it is a puncture in the tread area it can be repaired easily by a tyre stockist,but if in the sidewall it cannot be repaired legally.

Les

Steve Whitehorn 25 April 2003 08:52 PM

Yeh good advice.
Sidewall = No
Tread area = Yes

Best wishes
Steve