ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Does anyone actually use their Intercooler spray ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/197531-does-anyone-actually-use-their-intercooler-spray.html)

GarethE 10 April 2003 02:58 PM

Having just groped around the lower dash to press the IC water spray button while on a spirited back road blast in my STi8, I began to wonder - does anyone bother ??!!

The tempory loss of concentration while trying to reach it, then wondering whether I'd actually pressed it, or switched the fog lights on, seemed to make it a bit pointless. If there was an auto setting which activated it at a certain temp or under certain driving conditions, fair enough - didn't the 22B have this feature ? - but i'd rather keep control than worry about cooling the air temp.

Anyone else found this problem, or even better found a solution, or am I using the IC spray under the wrong conditions ?

Gareth

swan 10 April 2003 03:09 PM

Many fit a switch so that the IC spray comes on at a certain boost or on WOT. I've got an aftermarket unit where you can set the time off and time on that it sprays.

STi-Frenchie 10 April 2003 03:15 PM

I thought it was automatic (STi7) - I don't mine often but after a couple of months, the light comes on in the dash telling me to add some water to the spray bottle so I assumed...automatic.

Or a leak !

ramdor 10 April 2003 03:18 PM

The sti8 one is manual... press the button, 5 seconds of water spray.... only time I have used it so far, is if I have been sitting at McD's waiting for the food :) (which is quite often actually.. :D)

Richie.

GarethE 10 April 2003 03:32 PM

The Mc D's use is interesting....personally I found the headlight washers on my MY00 useful for spraying the bosses kids as they walked in front of the car...wish I had that feature on the STi ;-)

scoobieblue 11 April 2003 11:14 AM

hi gang
i was thinking what a stupid place to put the spray
button...
i was wondering if it would be possible to
use the windscreen washer switch instead?
wonder if it is possible to swap
them over...
just a thought...
andy

ALi-B 11 April 2003 11:33 AM

Might Have MOT problems with that Andy.

Windsceen washers are a required feature. and the switch should be correctly marked (or is that just fog lamps, hazards etc.). Could wire them so they work together ;)

bigdavegtt 11 April 2003 11:57 AM

The wrx sti V5 Type R has an auto setting, I thought that was very good :)

GU5 11 April 2003 11:58 AM

Not such a good idea wiring them together!! Giving it loads down a road, want to cool the intercooler and all of a sudden you can't see where you're going :eek::eek::eek:

ramdor 11 April 2003 12:01 PM

Does the sti8 continue to work whilst the dash light is on? Can you keep spraying until every last drop of water is used - and the pump runs dry?

Richie.

Leslie 11 April 2003 12:52 PM

I am surprised that it is not automatic when you reach a predetermined boost pressure as well as working with the spray button. I have an STI 1 which has the water spray fitted and if I have been winding it up a bit I find the water level has gone down, so it must work automatically.

Les

philgr 11 April 2003 01:22 PM

I thought this was Auto, and the Switch was for Manual Operation,

Agreed the postion of the switch is pretty poor, i am thinking of moving mine to the Spare switch postition above the wing mirror adjuster, i think the Electronic Diff lives there on the Jap cars,

And while i am at it wire up the SECS unit to it, as this has output on the back to switch it on at a set boost pressure.

Phil G

Boyakasha 11 April 2003 01:28 PM

Never touched it in a month and a half of ownership. Must remember to ive it a squirt next time I'm gunning it :D

GarethE 11 April 2003 03:16 PM

Phil G

Thats interesting about the SECS unit...i'm looking to get one soon, but didn't know it could be linked to the IC spay... will have to look into it

Cheers
gareth

ramdor 11 April 2003 03:20 PM

yeah, need to find out if the pump stops when the water level is low, otherwise the secs will run it dry... 'tis why I was asking just above ;)

Richie.

sammyh 11 April 2003 03:38 PM

I have been told by Prodive that it is auto but only when it is really needed.

GarethE 11 April 2003 03:43 PM

Hi Sammy, any idea when "really needed" is. Sorry M8 still haven't had time to pop by, hopefully soon

Gareth

Paul_M 11 April 2003 06:14 PM

It's not the best making it boost dependant, just cos you hit high boost doesn't mean the core is warm (when you first use boost on a run the core will be at its coolest). The McD's seems a more relevant use to me - even though the car is idling it's a good idea to use the water spray to get rid of heat soak *before* hitting boost IMO.

DanTheMan 11 April 2003 08:24 PM

Jeez my STi5 goes through a bottle a day on Auto, and I have checked for leaks :) perhaps you lot need to use some right foot from time to time?

T5NYW 11 April 2003 08:56 PM

My mate has SECS on his STi7 :D Has taking some readings of charge Temperature :) water spray makes no Temp difference once going over 35mph :rolleyes: so TMIC is quite effecient :cool:

Tony

Ps My Sti7PPP 12 months old on had to top it last week :) and only operated it twice to see if it works

GarethE 11 April 2003 08:56 PM

Thats it...perhaps I should use my right foot to press the IC spray switch :-)

mega_stream 11 April 2003 09:07 PM

Yup, now I know that I have to have the push the auto button so the orange light comes on I seem to get through water pretty quick in my STi5 :)

Waiting for the government put a tax on Intercooler waterspray next
:rolleyes:

O n i o n. 11 April 2003 11:27 PM

I have fitted IC water spray to my car and to be sure it is only used when needed I have put a main power switch on my dash and wired a press switch in series which is fitted bellow my accelerator pedal.

This way, it will only work when I have switched the power on, (if driving hard) and it will only spray then when my foot is firmly pressed to the floor(full throttle).

And because of the lag between full throttle being pressed and full boost being reached then the IC should be getting cold before the hot charge air passes through.

However, I have never seen how effective water spray is. But it does sound good down the pub.

MARK MORRIS 13 April 2003 01:06 PM

only use mine when ive been sat in traffic
mark

judgejules 13 April 2003 02:18 PM

I stopped by my bro's yesterday after a little raz. When I started the car back up to leave (about 45 mins later) the sprayer went off while I was idle.

~Jules - STi8