ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   hmmm. remember this ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/196695-hmmm-remember-this.html)

what would scooby do 08 April 2003 03:51 PM

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/...m_keyboard.jpg

GaryK 08 April 2003 04:27 PM

aha a speccy!

Big Col 08 April 2003 04:29 PM

still got mine somewhere at my parents. Rubber keys :)

camk 08 April 2003 04:31 PM

Camel Flesh for the keys I believe ;) not rubber....

PiNkEyE69 08 April 2003 04:36 PM

Ahhh.... Many a moons spent programming my spectrum.
I remember amazing my parents with my creative use of the very limited pallet and basic drawing skills.
That and annoying the pets buy turning the volume up when loading a game :)
Ahh, the joys of fiddling with the tape deck to load games!!! Nostagia at it's best.

S.B. 08 April 2003 04:42 PM

Anyone still got a ZX81?

DJ Dunk 08 April 2003 04:43 PM

Everyone knew the exact point where they had to have the volumne control to load each game :D One audio lead required or two ? ;)

The joys of having 20 odd games on a C-90 tape :D

PiNkEyE69 08 April 2003 04:45 PM

White/Grey = Earphone lead for loading, Black Mic lead for saving ;)
Anyone have those 'specially for computers' tape players from boots?
Still have a ZX81 in the loft, still works but the PSU is blown and if I run it of a variable mains adaptor it won't take the 16j rampak :(

DJ Dunk 08 April 2003 04:55 PM

Some games required me to have both leads connected to get them to work ! Twas an odd machine. Typed up one of those hex games out of Sinclair User once, didn't work [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Never again ! :D Well, until the next issue.

stevencotton 08 April 2003 05:08 PM

I have four rubber keyed Spectrums, one of them is still boxed, got a Smiths cassette recorder too. You didn't need both leads plugged in to load any games, I don't think the ULA could even use both at the same time, one was for loading and the other saving. I almost have a complete collection of Ultimate titles too, one of them is still sealed and is worth a LOT :) Also have my original Kempston joystick, interface and most importantly the original instructions :) A mint 16k is worth over a hundred quid now, 48ks around 50-60. If you have an original 16k with the fawn-grey keys you can double the 100 quid price tag.

PiNkEyE69 08 April 2003 05:15 PM

I broke my Kemptston joystick on Daley Thompsons Decathlon.....and my Sinclair Joystick.....and some key contacts....and burnt out the PSU....... :)
I used to have the Microdrive add on with 3D Ant Attack as well.
Had a thermal printer but never used it as I could find no places that sold the special paper.
I had a ZX81 in late 82, then a Spectrum 48K for Xmas 83 (My brother got his mid 83), upgrading it with the Hard Keys a year later (48K+)
I got the Horace games with it (Hungry Horace, Horace goes Skiing, and Horace and the Spiders from Mars).

stevencotton 08 April 2003 05:21 PM

As in the other thread cheekily asking for your old PC kit, I'll also take any Spectrum stuff off of any of your hands ;)

beemerboy 08 April 2003 05:41 PM

do you all remember taking ages to type in BASIC games published in magazines, then spend even longer de-bugging them, then after about a weeks work, deleteing it all because it doesn't work!!!!

hahaha what fun!!!
BB:)

DazV 09 April 2003 11:16 AM

3D Monster Maze on the ZX81 anyone ?

I remember seeing a tiny black and white ad in the back of the sunday express colour magazine, weeks after the Spectrum was first released. My dad sent a cheque off for £149.95 and I got my Spectrum 48k!

PiNkEyE69 09 April 2003 11:20 AM

Played it once, then the pus on the zx81 burnt out as I couldn't run the 16k pak required for the game :(

basal_lobe 09 April 2003 11:28 AM

I have the "fits over the cursor keys joystick" for my old spectrum (16K with ram pack as big as the machine itself). I also still have my interface 1 with microdrives and my interface 2 with cartridges.

Problem is I don't have the speccy- it got used as a target back in my air gun/catapult days. Still I see them all the time at car boot fairs so I might buy one and plug it all in for 5 mins till I remember how crap it is!

My fav retro machine is my old Vectrex console- top machine. Also my colecovision with speech add on.

LOL what a lot of old junk I have!

basal_lobe 09 April 2003 11:51 AM

don't think I'd sell any of it- I would consider a swap for arcade/console related stuff though. Have you got anything interesting?

beemerboy 09 April 2003 12:42 PM

i got stacks of commodore amiga 500 games if anyone needs any.

the best program being "xcopy".... class.

BB:)

DJ Dunk 09 April 2003 12:44 PM

nibble :D

stevencotton 09 April 2003 12:51 PM

basal, unfortunately not, all I have is a load of Spectrum and Amiga stuff.

stevencotton 09 April 2003 01:05 PM

No, only reason being those things are worth a fortune :)

basal_lobe 09 April 2003 01:44 PM

are they????I have 7 of them most still in their boxes with the instructions. My girlfriend said I was mad for wasting £1.50 on the last one I bought.

stevencotton 09 April 2003 01:55 PM

If they're in good condition and old originals, then you're looking at 40-50 quid each.

basal_lobe 09 April 2003 02:41 PM

I'm rich! Now to find out how much my beloved vectrex (still in the box) is worth. Also all those larger battery powered LED games like Astro Wars I have in the loft.

DJ Dunk 09 April 2003 03:10 PM

Have a peek on ebay, loads of stuff being sold. Munchman, Marios Cement Factory . . . Those were the days :)

stevencotton 10 April 2003 10:58 AM

The Kempston joysticks were called "Competition Pro", and the leaf-switch versions were much better than the later microswitch model :)

carl 10 April 2003 11:04 AM

I think not.
The general consensus at the time was that a microswitch joystick was far better than a leaf spring.

stevencotton 10 April 2003 11:05 AM

Wrong!

carl 10 April 2003 11:06 AM

Leafsprings were nasty mechanical things that didn't provide any positive engagement, and frequently bent so they didn't connect properly.

Ugh :(

carl 10 April 2003 11:14 AM

IYHO ;)

If a microswitch goes, you can just replace it with another one. IIRC they were standard microswitches that you could buy from Maplins and their ilk.
I liked the clicky sound ;)
Arcade games at the time used microswitched joysticks :D