ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Petrol pumps and imports (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/196654-petrol-pumps-and-imports.html)

IWantaScoobyNow 08 April 2003 02:38 PM

Anyone else get this problem?.
I have a 94 wrx, love it to bits only thing is that it takes ages to fill the tank up. This is because if I hold the pump fully open the auto stop kicks in every time.
Is this something to do with the type of the valve in the petrol cap?. Must be different in Japan than here or something.
Just curious really, means I feel relieved after having stood there for 5 minutes that its only £30 ish as I have the smaller tank.

Dave

scooby_si 08 April 2003 02:41 PM

try turning the nozzle by 90 degrees or so & it seems to stop auto cutting as it used to do same on my UK car till i saw sum thread on here a while back ;)
Si

IWantaScoobyNow 08 April 2003 02:43 PM

Cheers i will give that a go. At least I am not alone.

pslewis 08 April 2003 02:44 PM

It's because the UK models have a transponder to talk to the nozzle, thus releasing the fuel at a pre-determined rate. What yours is doing is giving the instructions in Japanese and so it's getting the nozzle very confused.

Buy a UK car an save this kind of grief!!

Pete

scooby_si 08 April 2003 02:50 PM

Pete that's gota b the weakest attempt yet 4 justifying not getting an import ;)
I hear the gold wheels also impair the hearing device on the pump :rolleyes: lol
Si

IWantaScoobyNow 08 April 2003 02:53 PM

Sounds about right, why cant everyone just speak the same language.
Only problem with getting a uk car is that you dont get the performance of an import. And as its my second car its not too much of a problem..

If i used it on a day to day basis then i would get pissed off with it

scooby_si 08 April 2003 03:12 PM

Dont mind him he's quite old dontcha no & he finds it hard 2 understand the youf of today so please take the pump nozzle communication line with a pinch of salt ;) lol
Si

IWantaScoobyNow 08 April 2003 03:27 PM

Well any information is good to know. I take everything with a pinch of salt really.
well at least he cant moan about us young kids driving around in fast cars which is a good thing.
Just wish those annoying novas and saxos would bugger off and try and race someone else.
Not much of a contest is it, a nova/saxo against a wrx.

ramdor 08 April 2003 03:29 PM

A friend of mine had real issues filling up his Focus.... would take him 15 mins for a tank full.... reason being (after he forked out the cash for the Ford dealer to remove tank, pipes etc).... was that the small card washer from inside the cap from a bottle of booster/injector cleaner or whatever it was had lodged itself in there..... the fuel just backed up each time, and the pump switched off.

Richie.

scooby_si 08 April 2003 03:37 PM

Shhhh dont tell him he can't moan :eek: u'll never hear the end of it :p lol
Si

IWantaScoobyNow 08 April 2003 03:44 PM

is he renowned for moaning or something?

scooby_si 08 April 2003 03:57 PM

PSLewis is renowned for hating all things non standard, non UK car & especially GOLD WHEELS :eek: but it is all good humoured (as long as yer expecting it;)):D lol
Si

IWantaScoobyNow 08 April 2003 04:21 PM

oh well, each to their own i spose. Long as its all good fun

pslewis 08 April 2003 06:16 PM

;)

pETE

Marky-San 08 April 2003 07:45 PM

I've an import an it gladly takes fuel without any clicks - however birds uk Civic clicks like a clicky thing. Infact so did my Mazda 626 GTi.

StickyMicky 09 April 2003 02:13 PM

i took the fuel neck restrictor out of mine as i had problems

and i also sued a diffrent pump on the forecourt
i can pump it in really fast now ;)
do u use the same pump everytime?

IWantaScoobyNow 09 April 2003 06:10 PM

I never use the same pump all the time. At the minute I am using it for work so i fill up everywhere.
As someone suggested it seems to work fine with the pump turned upside down. Can use it on full power then.
Even though some bloke gave me a weird look as i filled the car up and turned the pump upside down today.

scooby_si 09 April 2003 06:48 PM

he shoots he scores :D
Si (feel the knowledge bursting out :eek:lol)

Leslie 04 September 2003 11:57 AM

Ive got a MY94 as well IWASN, when the pump clicks off first time I find that if you open the nozzle just enough to give a steady flow the same as the flow in the return pipe from the expansion tank that you can see if you look down the filler hole, then it will fill with no clicks and save you time. I seem to get plenty of practice at this. :D Edited to say that mine is an import too.

Les:)

[Edited by Leslie - 4/9/2003 11:58:45 AM]