ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Just how dangerous is the bumpsteer mod... (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/194231-just-how-dangerous-is-the-bumpsteer-mod.html)

matty01 01 April 2003 06:48 PM

...regarding an increase in lift off oversteer,caused by the front gripping better, i'm all for the better grip at the front,but lift off oversteer at high speed
is BAD news,my question is ...near the limit(or even at slower speeds)how much is lift off oversteer increased by?

Adam M 01 April 2003 10:47 PM

By exactly 9.38 (within a tolerance of plus or minus 9.38)

[Edited by MorayMackenzie - 4/1/2003 9:34:38 AM]

[Edited by pat - 4/1/2003 10:45:38 AM]

superstring 02 April 2003 02:11 AM

That's hilarious!! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-001.gif (Sorry matty01, couldn't help myself :) )

matty01 02 April 2003 04:14 PM

Yeah, yeah ;) [9.38 what mm ,feet, inches :rolleyes: ;) ] You know what i mean though ,am i "much" more likely to spin it (through oversteer) if i have to let off or brake mid corner at 50-60 mph sort of speeds,surely there's someone on here that has had experience of this ??

TelBoy 02 April 2003 04:18 PM

It's only bad news if you're not used to it. You just have to learn to accept the car will handle differently.

The benefits outweigh the "disadvantages", if that's what they are, imo.

RB5320 02 April 2003 04:34 PM

hmm. I see what you are getting at Matty but I havent really noticed any dramatic difference in lift-off oversteer on mine. Having said that, I would consider myself to be a bit of a wuss so dont tend to drive on or near the limit very often.
My experiences suggest that a slight lift mid-corner will not provoke major snap oversteer, just allow the front to dig in a bit more, but as I said above - I dont drive like a lunatic anyway. :D
What really impressed me is the increase in straight line stability, particularly under very heavy braking. Previously the back end of the car would be a bit if a handful when braking hard, which is not fun. Now the car just pulls up straight.
I did ask exactly your question when I had the car done at Powerstation. They basically said the effect is to slightly reduce rear grip, but increase controllability (is that a word?).
Best ask them yourself - they are very helpful and will probably put your mind at rest.

Steve

MorayMackenzie 03 April 2003 11:55 AM

Re: " [9.38 what mm ,feet, inches :rolleyes: ;) ]"

9.38 +/- 9.38 of exactly the same units you specified in your question "my question is ...near the limit(or even at slower speeds)how much is lift off oversteer increased by?"

:p ;) :rolleyes: :)

matty01 03 April 2003 02:58 PM

Ah yes,but the implicated request was for a subjective analysis of aforementioned oversteer character parameters,and obviously not an objective mechanical definition utilising abstract mathmatical measurement of aforementioned parameters.... ;) :D :)
Edited to say that *cough* my mate *cough* drives a bit quick sometimes and i dont want 'him' to be cought out near the limit if unforeseeable circumstances arise(resulting in the need to brake ) whilst cornering enthusiastically etc etc

[Edited by matty01 - 4/3/2003 4:04:57 PM]

[Edited by matty01 - 4/3/2003 6:21:29 PM]

ozzy 03 April 2003 04:08 PM

I suggest your m8 finds a very quiet, open piece of land and goes and practices to see exactly how his car behaves after the mod.

I guess it's like going from your normal everyday car into something new and asking how more likely am I to crash this?

Obviously, if it makes the car oversteer a whole lot more, you can make more assumptions and watch out for it so it's understandable question.

Stefan

matty01 03 April 2003 05:24 PM

I suggest your m8 finds a very quiet, open piece of land and goes and practices to see exactly how his car behaves after the mod.
Good idea,i'll have to do that,cheers :D

Silver Wings 08 April 2003 11:13 PM

But lift off oversteer is only what 3 series BMW owners worry about...! :)

Scoobies are about getting the speed right into the corner and then powering through...

Mungo 09 April 2003 11:12 AM

If he's driving flat out round corners he can't see the exit of (and thus having to lift off when there's a hazard), he's asking for trouble! I'm not saying don't drive fast, but there's a tiome and a place - when you can see it's clear.

matty01 09 April 2003 06:09 PM

If he's driving flat out round corners he can't see the exit of (and thus having to lift off when there's a hazard), he's asking for trouble!
Mungo, i don't do that :eek: but inevitably i'll have to lift off/brake on a corner and would like a rough idea of how much more oversteer i can expect :D

StickyMicky 14 April 2003 06:43 PM

mine lift off over steers
i wonder if the previous jap owner tickled with the suspension

Leslie 28 April 2003 01:35 PM

Matty

I was always taught that it is easier when cornering on the bitter edge to arrange things so as not to have to use the brakes and to be able to use power and the steering to balance the car in the corner. If you are at max cornering performance, you can expect an uncomfortable moment or two at least if you have to lift off or brake. Gerards Bend at Mallory park was always an ideal corner to experiment with your car's handling with respect to the use of power etc. Nice long fast corner.

Practically speaking, I have not noticed any extra problems with lift-off etc when the bumpsteer mod was done to my car. The car no longer understeers as it used to and the rear hangs on as well as ever. The car is very well balanced and far more controllable then before. This improvement is even more marked on a wet surface. It was well worth fitting the solid anti roll bar links too. If you get it done Matty, you won't regret it. The car is a lot safer for spirited driving. :)

Les :D