ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Security (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/)
-   -   Clifford 500 Anti Hijack stuff (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/193499-clifford-500-anti-hijack-stuff.html)

248SPG 31 March 2003 12:00 AM

I had a Clifford 500 and Turbo Timer fitted to my Scoob and when the installer was showing me how it worked I asked hoe the Anti-Hijacking system worked and was told "We are not alowd by law to activate the G4 system as it would invalidate your insurance"

Is this correct as now I am a little worried about being Car-jacked as it was quite a big part of the spec that made me choose the clifford?

Cheers

Steve

TonyBurns 31 March 2003 06:54 AM

This is unfortunately a true fact :(
I would have a word with your insurance co and see if its ok with them for you to activate it (and make sure you get it in writing) as it does stop the car being stolen ;)
(just tell them that even with the keys the car will cut out, its just not been thatcham tested, thats all and the turbo timer you have on the car invalidates your cat1 anyway :eek: )

Tony:D

TonyBurns 31 March 2003 06:56 AM

I should state though, probably most people with the clifford system have activated the black jax feature (off the record and im not trying to invalidate your insurance but my insurance co doesnt require a tracker or alarm to be fitted to the car :eek: )

chiark 31 March 2003 07:38 AM

Column 5, row 2 from your options.

Read the manual and that'll tell you how to turn it on/off.

Do speak with your insurance company first, as technically enabling it means your alarm is no longer Cat 1 certified. Mine didn't have any problem whatsoever.
Nick.

ed_the_duck 31 March 2003 09:19 PM

**Do speak with your insurance company first, as technically enabling it means your alarm is no longer Cat 1 certified. Mine didn't have any problem whatsoever.**

- Does this mean if you fit an anti car jacking device that is not thatcham approved it invalidates your alarm category.

TonyBurns 01 April 2003 06:54 AM

Yep, if its not cat1 tested then it can invalidate your alarm system as it works in conjunction with it (this includes turbo timers too).

ed_the_duck 04 April 2003 05:32 PM

what if the anti hijack system does not interfere with any existing alarms or immobiliser?

TonyBurns 04 April 2003 05:35 PM

Good one ;)
But i think it has to be attached to your immobilser/alarm system for it to be activated (i wont go into it) but they will also say that its not thatcham tested (the big one) so......
Silly really as it could stop so many of these sneak theives who steal your car keys..... :(

ed_the_duck 05 April 2003 08:44 AM

I've got a system that im looking into marketing.

It not only stops carjackers from getting away it can be used as an alarm........the best benefit about this is that if a thief breaks into your home, steals your keys, all alarm and traking devices are now usless.....the minute the key turns into the ignition...BOOM:D....horns...sirens and no start, What a suprise they'd get and leggit

The system fits to any car with any alarm, immobiliser, tracker and jacking device, it is completely seperate and does not interfere with existing alarm systems...so effectively bypasses the the problem of voiding your Thatcham approval.

Its a system from usa and is used in the military too, and belive that (IICI) that testing is being done to use it in aircraft..but not to cut the engine:D something along the lines of, when hijacked it goes into auto pilot and flown to a pre programed destination.

Can be fitted in under two hours. Got one in a box, and there is no complicated wiring to be done.

Ed

[Edited by ed_the_duck - 4/5/2003 9:46:48 AM]

[Edited by ed_the_duck - 4/5/2003 10:03:26 AM]

SimonJM 17 April 2003 12:08 AM

According to the Clifford website the Concept 500 & 600 are CAT 1 approved, yet both have the Blackjax fitted.

Any thoughts / comments.

Simon

IanW 17 April 2003 12:37 AM

They are both CAT-1 approved, but they need to be disabled for the Thatcham certification to be valid IIRC.

SimonJM 17 April 2003 12:42 AM

That's a bit of a bummer. Nothing on their website about that!!

S

pbee 17 April 2003 11:24 AM

It states it in the concept 500 manual, because thatcham will not evaluate anything that automaticly shuts down the engine, so it never will be thatcham approved. Tesco were happy for me to turn Blackjax on they dont even require the car to have an alarm all they wanted was the tracker and immoboliser.

fastfox13 26 April 2003 09:39 AM

For the record Blackjax can also be brought and fitted as a stand alone system that isn't part of any alarm system or connected to it. So if anyone is planning to have an alarm fitted, want anti-hi-jack facility and are worried about the insurance commpany response, then it may be worth thinking about a Concept 300 and stand alone Blackjax system.

Regards.