ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Special Tools when changing the Clutch? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/187909-special-tools-when-changing-the-clutch.html)

Jolly Green Monster 14 March 2003 10:36 PM

Workshop Manual mentions a special tool to support the engine.. I presume I can put a jack under it rather than this tool?

Do I need a tool to align the clutch before refitting the gear box?

Many thanks

JGM :)

tweenierob 15 March 2003 09:04 AM

A Jack can be used to support the engine, however i recall just leaving it on the engine mounts...

I have lined every scoob clutch up with my fingers (honest), you can feel if it is lined up..
However, the first clutch i did on a scoob i used a 3/8 to 1/4 socket adapter, the 1/4 bit fits into the flywheel and the 3/8 adapter was a perfect fit for the clutch plate, i then just used a 3/8 extension in the adapter to move it in and out..

What you can do is put the box in gear before you remove it, then when it comes to refitting the box to the engine you can turn the engine over by the crank pulley to help the main shaft locate..

Rob

rally colin 15 March 2003 09:49 AM

You will need to support the front of the engine so to get a good angle to replace the box. If you have a catted downpipe and don't remove it you will need to bend the bracket that fits to the gearbox otherwise when you refit it will get in the way. The turbo heatsheilds also catch but it is possible without too much hassle.
If you need more information give me a bell 07771767874.

Jolly Green Monster 15 March 2003 10:18 AM

Thanks guys..

The downpipe is decatted.. I assumed I would have to remove it..

Cheers

rally colin 15 March 2003 12:50 PM

with a decatted downpipe you should e finished in 4 hours!

minty 16 March 2003 12:05 AM

Mr Monster - you will have to let me know how easy it was for you as i may be attempting this myself sometime in the near future. That is if it's not too difficult. :)

Jolly Green Monster 16 March 2003 12:05 PM

Colin,

So I can leave the downpipe on and just remove the centre.. excellent as it was a bu99er to change and ended up visiting Wallis Garages :) mind you it should now come undone easier as the original had been on there 7years and 119,000miles..
decat only been on for 3000miles :)

Minty,

I will put a thread up once I have done it.. not going to be for a couple of weeks at least.

Cheers

David_Wallis 16 March 2003 12:42 PM

:D

LeonT 16 March 2003 06:46 PM

dont need to take any of the exshaust of if you have a decat down pipe, did mine even without taking the gearbox off, you can just slide it back enough to get the new clutch in

Jolly Green Monster 16 March 2003 09:03 PM

Leon,

Did you have to remove the driveshafts to move the gearbox back and what about the prop shaft and gear stick linkage?

I doubt I will be able to replace the flywheel and rear crank seal leaving the box on but interesting thought!

tweenierob 17 March 2003 10:31 AM

Leon, are you talking about your SEAT??

The gearbox has to come clear at least 4" from the engine to let the clutch clear the main shaft..
The prop does not slide backwards (unless disconnected)
The driveshafts do have a bit of rear movement, but are a peice of piss to remove anyway..
The gear linkage will have to be removed, or bent :D:D:D:D

Rob

LeonT 17 March 2003 07:12 PM

hi,
prop shaft off,
bottom ball joint broke,
drive shafts held out of the way with some string,

and away you go, i changed flywheel and clutch!!!!!!!!

took about 5 hrs due to spliting the gearbox from engine