ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Grand Designs Ch4 now (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/187044-grand-designs-ch4-now.html)

unclebuck 12 March 2003 09:09 PM

I like his style - sells the family home without telling the missus LOL :D:D

RON 12 March 2003 09:15 PM

Bu66er, going to watch it now!!

unclebuck 12 March 2003 09:17 PM

evening Ron.;) This one should be amusing :D

unclebuck 12 March 2003 10:00 PM

What a classic!! They saved the best till last :D:D

Tom was almost exactly 50/50 Harold (Neighbours) and Harry Seecombe<sp?> The roof episode was very funny :D:)

RON 12 March 2003 10:00 PM

Still wanna do it mate???
That was a right royal cock up, start to finish!!!]
Although it'll no doubt be stunning in the end!!

Luke 12 March 2003 10:02 PM

Bloody hell......... Few hours work sealing the end grain would have helped the roof problem...

unclebuck 12 March 2003 10:03 PM

"right royal, fur lined, ocean going!" according to Tom :D:D

and the answer to your question is still 'yes':p

RON 12 March 2003 10:04 PM

Surely they'll have to put a thin, say 3mm thick venneer on the inside of the roof, not too hard is it?#Why didn't they do that in the first place?

RON 12 March 2003 10:05 PM

UB,
for god sake build a square house mate, it makes life a 'bit' easier!!
Not had a mega mail from you yet??

unclebuck 12 March 2003 10:10 PM

Ron - as I said, I want to build a 'conventional' house first then sell it to raise more capitol for a more ambitous build. That's the plan anyway.

It maybe to raise the money to get the hell out of this country though (although I could do that now). The next few weeks should decide that :(

RON 12 March 2003 10:12 PM

Go somewhere warm where living costs are low, and live like a king a never work, sounds good to me!

Olly 12 March 2003 10:22 PM

Unbelievable. Talk about a fool and his money.

No wonder he had to approach 20 odd companies to build the roof. No company with any brain would have touched it with a barge pole.

Nice upside down roof. Made mainly in plywood. And they wonder why it p1ssed in.

And birch faced ply is great. But transporting with a crane and propping with acros aint gonna do the 0.6mm sliver of birch veneer much good.

Wonder who foots the bill when the roof is as rotten as a pear in 5 years, and needs replacing. Who is to blame? I'm amazed some architects are allowed to trade.

BOB.T 12 March 2003 10:35 PM

What about the airbags that knocked the walls down:D:D:D

The wall that had to cut down too:D:D:D

I think I let out a small amount of wee:eek:

RON 12 March 2003 10:43 PM

Building regs is what amazes me, when I got our plans approved I had to move one of the doors to keep 'them' happy, which I did, on his house he seems to have every wall without a corner on it, therefore they are all pretty much prone to falling over until load,(from above) is applied, I just don't get how they got the plans psssed.
Beats me!

unclebuck 12 March 2003 10:47 PM

knowing what he's like, I expect he greased a few palms ;)

SUNDAY DRIVER 12 March 2003 10:47 PM

The 'upside down' roof is on the whole not a problem in itself-its been done many times before.Once its covered in zinc/stainless steel etc it would be fine.If problems arise it will be because of the amount of water they let get at it before its covered-not a design fault(sticking up for the architect here).But I do think it was a bit unrealistic to expect the ceiling to be perfect without needing veneered on site.

RON 12 March 2003 10:52 PM

UB,
I reckon more than palms were involved in the greasing!!

mattstant 13 March 2003 01:11 AM

no palms needed to be greased just provide decent structural engineer details (and his indemnity )and bobs your dads brother.
Missed the start though and am assuming that this was an architect managing his own project:rolleyes: when will they ever learn

SUNDAY DRIVER 13 March 2003 08:59 AM

Not an architect-just a client with vision..and money.

BOB.T 13 March 2003 09:04 AM

Lots of money:D

CaptainBeakie 13 March 2003 12:51 PM

Also part Christopher Biggins! lol

He reminded me a little of Alan Partridge.

Looks like a great place(when finished), though bit concerned about where he is getting the money to fund it.

speedking 13 March 2003 01:34 PM

The roof fitted onto the steelwork really well, top job, but guys that turn up to do a job without their tools :eek:

Did anyone notice why the wall was high and had to be cut down, was it an error on the drawings, or the setting out, or the contractor?

CrisPDuk 13 March 2003 07:10 PM

To be fair to the guy, at least he got up off his ar5e and had a go, it's easy to criticize from the comfort of an armchair.
The roof cock-up was in two stages down to contractors. One, they roof builders didn't glue the roof together properly in order to deliver it on the scheduled (sunny) August week. Two, when the roof turned up, the installers didn't bring their tools (FFS), & the crane company took over 4 HOURS to supply a simple banksmans certificate. If the cert had been supplied the roof would have been up & covered on the dry day.

Contractors, if you want a job doing right do it yourself;)

mattstant 13 March 2003 09:38 PM

I stand corrected then certainly had some balls then, but he must have had some grounding in design or engineering to come up with those way out ideas