ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Safe mods for an STi 5 Tyoe R v-ltd (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/186910-safe-mods-for-an-sti-5-tyoe-r-v-ltd.html)

ragnarock2 12 March 2003 04:05 PM

I will be running on optimax + octane booster, I would be looking for an induction kit, de-cat d/p and backbox. Will it be safe to run on these mods, or will the mixture lean out and melt things? Would I be best to get an ECU remap immediately after the above mods???
Thanks for any help!

TonyBurns 12 March 2003 04:10 PM

Forget the induciton kit, that will definately give you problems along with a full decat.
If you are going to go full decat then i would personally go for a remapped ecu to compensate, you may also find that just a new STi filter (ie not the paper ones but ones especially for STi's, available from scoobymania) will be better for your car.

Tony:D

PS i would consider doing the brakes first before doing performance mods though ;)

scoobystan 12 March 2003 04:34 PM

My mate has a full decat Trust Power xtreme xhaust system, a RSS parts stainless steel manifold, a Greddy profec b boost controller running 1.5 bar, a Greddy E-manage piggyback ecu, silicone hoses, induction kit, hks plugs, magnecor leads, the e manage has 2 programs set up on it-1 for summer and 1 for winter due to the extreme differences in cyprus weather and has been running this car for over a year with not a single problem!!!

scoobystan 12 March 2003 04:35 PM

Official times for 0-60 are 3.9seconds and 12.5 seconds for 1/4 mile drag. These times were recorded in an official drag race last year. Approx 360bhp @1.5bar @ 6000rpm.

stavros 12 March 2003 05:09 PM

scoobystan who r you???i am from cyprus too...:D bloody foreigners:D:D:D:D

stavros 12 March 2003 05:10 PM

r u talkimg about Adonis?

ragnarock2 13 March 2003 09:25 AM

Is the ECUTEK map OK for a type R then, or would I be best to go for a Link or such-like (bearing in mind, I will only be messing with induction and exhaust)??

Dave R 13 March 2003 10:43 AM

ECUTEK would be fine. Different ECUTEK maps for all different 99 onwards cars. PE/BRD will have one to suit your car. Just get all the mods done first and get it mapped asap afterwards.

john banks 13 March 2003 10:51 AM

Don't think PE do STis. Suggest speak to Bob Rawle.

Joff 13 March 2003 12:17 PM

I have an STI 4 that has induction and exhaust mods, but I have just knocked out the big end, still not sure of the cause?

I intend to use an aftermarket up pipe and cat by pass down pipe, together with a rebuilt motor, we do I get ECU programming/chip to sort out the fuelling, and hopefully prevent future problems?

Is there much of a gain from lightening the standard flywheel?

john banks 13 March 2003 12:40 PM

http://www.brdevelopments.com

Bob could sort you a Link, GEMS or MoTeC in ascending order of price (but all good) to fit your needs.

Joff 13 March 2003 12:50 PM

Thanks Jon
I appreciate the advise, and shall look on the website now.

I am puting a V5 short motor with V4 heads and I believe a 0.6mm head gasket will increase comp ratio to 8.3:1. Is this likely to cause more long time problems? or do I play it safe and use a 1.2mm head gasket (C.R. = 7.7:1) with a possible loss in performance?

Fat Boy 13 March 2003 05:37 PM

Ragnarock,

Ecutek 3 is great for a V type R. I have a p1 that has been tek 3ed by BRD . It involves your existing ECU being reprogrammed in situ and on the road to make sure amongst other things that the fuelling covers all the weak points in the map. ( StiV/P1 has two particularly weak areas which, after decatting and breathing that much better, can result in the car running very lean). No other changes required and as each individual car is done on the road while they make sure there is no det, the new map will cater for your cars exact condition. It's like a suit from Savile Row compared to an average off the peg suit..

Dave R 03 December 2003 05:00 PM

For anything more than a backbox change, i'd consider spending some money on the ECU, whether it be the increased knock correction P1 map, an ECUTEK or Link/Gems/Motec etc...

With the replacement ECU's it's nice to ditch the MAF sensor as some can be rather delicate.

If you are gonna change the map, then yes, full decat, K&N/APS induction, SUL/Optimax fueling etc... can be accounted for in the new map.

PS Would have thought 1.5bar is maxing the std injectors out. Think Bob R said 1.35 was getting close but still 'safe'!

[Edited by Dave R - 3/12/2003 5:01:23 PM]