ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   cambelt purchase and change (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/186667-cambelt-purchase-and-change.html)

gene1 11 March 2003 10:40 PM

Hi,
Just coming to 40k and for my own piece of mind was going to change the cambelt after seeing different threads ons/net,but looked in handbook and shows 60k as the date for replacement is this true?
Was going to buy fluids to change all the diff and box oils also so i know theyve been done.
Has anybody changed their belt and bought an aftremarket belt from one of the scooby shops that advertise or is it a must that i should pay the extra and buy the geniune belt from Subaru dealer.
Reagrds
Gene

RON 11 March 2003 11:27 PM

Just last week I had mine done at a dealers, charged 3220 for the privelege, about 100 for the belt +vat!!

gene1 11 March 2003 11:34 PM

What was your mileage?
Will be doing all fluids etc myself and have a mate with an mot station who owns scoobys to do the belt,hes advised to fit only dealer belt like he does on his,was just a bit puzzled over whether its 60k of 45k
Gene

gene1 11 March 2003 11:56 PM

Ron
My mate said the belts were about £100 so will go ahead and do it shortly and all the fluids at the same time for peace of mind.
Regards
Gene

kev93wrx 12 March 2003 09:14 AM

Done mine at 40000 mate price for belt seems high though.....

gene1 12 March 2003 02:47 PM

I know,i can get a belt through scooby shop local for just over £50 and the dealer is i think just over £100 plus vat.The only thing is i dont know if the make up of the belt is less or more superior.Seems a stupid to scrimp £50 if the belts sh*** and gives up and snaps,but dont know whether they are.
Gene

APJ 12 March 2003 06:40 PM

The dealer changed the cambelt on my MY00 at 45000 - they said best to be safe.

If you use an aftermarket cambelt - how do you stand with warranty?

Leslie 15 March 2003 12:56 PM

The original belt change period was 45,000 miles, I gather it is now altered to 60K miles but I dont know if there is a difference between the older and later belts. I really would not use a cheap belt myself, if it lets go then it is a very expensive failure! I have been told however that Gates belts are very good but I dont know what the price difference is.

Les

gene1 15 March 2003 01:18 PM

leslie
Do you have a contact mo or email for them,am only on 40k but will buy the oils and fliuds next week and the belt asap and do the change before 45k
Regards
Gene

Leslie 16 March 2003 12:28 PM

Gene 1

Sorry I dont have a contact for Gates but would have thought an enquiry to a Factor like Brown Brothers would maybe come up with the goods. I have not done a Scooby cam belt change yet but have heard that you have to be careful not to let the cams turn under valve spring pressure since it is possible to bend a valve. You probably need to jam the cam wheels to stop them from turning.

I found this link which might help. www.gatesrubber.com

My server would not access it but maybe yours will.

Good luck with the job

Les :D

Trucker Ted 16 March 2003 08:20 PM

A little tip is to mark the position of all the sprockets with some Tip-pex before taking old belt off.

paul w 16 March 2003 08:39 PM

Gates belts are ok to use,i've used them on all my vehicles in the past,someone did say they make the scoob belts on a previous thread a couple of months ago.Dont get ripped off by your dealer.I would have thought that all belts nowadays will be to a set standard.

RON 03 November 2003 11:36 PM

My car is now three years old, and I only did the belt due to the time factor, it's only done 28k!!
Forgot to say that the 100 was just the belt, the labour was abour 80ish.
I'm also gonna do all the fluids, with the better ones!!

Edited to say that my dealer said belt change on up to and inc my00 is 45k, although most on here will tell you that my on, should be done at 60k
Did mine just to be safe!

[Edited by RON - 3/11/2003 11:38:26 PM]