ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Racing Clutch Judder (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/186335-racing-clutch-judder.html)

peccy 11 March 2003 10:45 AM

ive just had a EXEDY Hyper racing clutch fitted including lightweight flywheel (http://www.coximport.com/exedy/index.html) - an awesome bit of kit but a side effect is quite a bit of clutch judder especially on low revs starts, could this be harmfull to any of the drivetrain???

911 11 March 2003 08:10 PM

Had a similar clutch on my hill climb 911. Lots of judder unless lots of revs. hard work in traffic, but killer bite for those 'special 0 to 60's....'. Also killed my flywheel and even seized onto the cover plate once! Do you really need it?
Anyway, it/I survived it for 6000 miles, only damage was flywheel.
Good luck!

scoobyslut 12 March 2003 04:15 PM

Thought the idea behind fitting a "racing/performance" clutch system is that they will only operate at higher rpm limits. If you expect it to perform the same at l;ower rpm, then forget it,as it is not capable of handling the pressure at lower rpm. Better to drive it properly, should of been explained when purchasing the clutch kit

peccy 12 March 2003 04:24 PM

scoobyslut, i was aware that it would judder and dont really mind cos i rarely drive at low revs :) just wondering if the juddering would damage anything?

Pavlo 12 March 2003 05:09 PM

When I spoke to Diaken that sell the Exedy stuff in the UK, they said the hyper clutch was supposed not to be as bad for judder and harshness.

paul

peccy 13 March 2003 08:24 AM

hopefully it will bed in a bit more, only done 200 miles with it

sly fox 23 May 2003 03:13 PM

peccy, hows your clutch now?

I have had one of these fitted today and the judder is a nightmare at low revs and it also judders a bit on down change.

Is this the same as you experianced?

please can you let me know.

sly

P20SPD 23 May 2003 03:14 PM

sly, he changed it to an AP one after he did his 0-60 challenge. No need for such a clutch on your cars IMO.

sly fox 23 May 2003 03:20 PM

mine was starting to "give up" & slipping badly. I think i really toasted it at elvington.

Do you know if he suffered from bad judder, any ideas if this maybe a problem or just a characteristic of the clutch (organic)?

sly

eddiebeef 23 May 2003 07:47 PM

peccy

Is the plate the solid type or does it have springs in it??

Andy.F 23 May 2003 09:06 PM

Sly

Peccy has now sold that clutch (to me :)) He did have a bit judder but he said it was improving as it bedded in.
I think he refitted an AP organic. IIRC his gearbox failed shortly afterwards, probably weakened by the Hyper launches !

Andy

peccy 24 May 2003 11:04 AM

sly fox,think andy.f summed it up, the EXEDY clutch was a bit impractical for the every day to and from work and to the shops etc. to eliminate the down change judder i had to gas change which is a good driving technique but not when ya going 10mph in the asda car park!

JamesS 24 May 2003 08:58 PM

What type of friction disk and pressure plate exactly?

A full face disc or a paddle type disc? `Ceramic` or `Organic`?

peccy 25 May 2003 12:18 PM

JamesS, 6 paddle ceramic

JamesS 25 May 2003 05:03 PM

I guess poor take-up is to be expected then!!!.....

sly fox 27 May 2003 11:07 AM

Mine is an exedy organic.

The judder has got a bit better with bedding in (already done 700 miles with a knockhill trip).

I have had to change my driving style to suit it, reving the engine on downshift and take off.

It's a nightmare in traffic, but the transmission feels really strong and i can't wait to do some qtr miles with it..

sly

JamesS 27 May 2003 07:39 PM

Sly,

you just had the Exedy fitted? Was it part of the group buy?

sly fox 28 May 2003 09:03 AM

Yep ( i think so anyway!)

Spoke to jonathan @ grasshopper after reading the thread by POC, and he sorted me out.

The clutch has now full bedded in and is AWESOME!!! Can't wait to do some qtr miles :D

sly

JamesS 28 May 2003 09:56 AM

Sly,

Just fitted the same one.....has the judder gone after a decent amount of miles?

I`ve only covered about 100miles and 1st gear bite point is still a bit harsh. It has got better since fitting..........?

sly fox 28 May 2003 05:27 PM

Mine has done 800 miles and has settled down now.
Still judders a bit unless i set off at at least 1500rpm.

sly

TelBoy 30 May 2003 11:45 AM

Isn't clutch judder a feature of Scoobs in general? A competition clutch is only going to make the antediluvian power transfer from flywheel to driveshaft that much more noticeable.
I just depress the clutch and give it more revs when it happens, and nothing's broken yet!

XT 30 May 2003 02:13 PM

:D