ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Battery flat , after 1 week in garage (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/183501-battery-flat-after-1-week-in-garage.html)

Tiny 03 March 2003 05:22 PM

As the title says, Put the scooby away in the garage last sunday, went to get it out on Saturday morning and would not turn over ( flat battery) Could it be the alarm or dodgy battery? Anyone else?, btw car is MY01 WRX
Cheers Darren

elgordano 03 March 2003 05:31 PM

My MY01 battery died on me the other week as well. How long should a battery normally last before it should be replaced ?

Gordo

AlexM 03 March 2003 05:35 PM

If accessories repeatedly drain the battery to empty, you will need to replace it in no time as it will be permanently damaged.

Life expectancy varies greatly with usage. A battery could last for eight or more years if maintained at or near full charge continuously (i.e. used daily, or trickle charged).

If the car is infrequently used, and run flat occasionally then 2-4 years is common.

Also check your electrolyte levels.. the battery will not hold a charge if they are too low.

[Edited by AlexM - 3/3/2003 5:38:20 PM]

minister of speed 03 March 2003 08:49 PM

Doesn't sound right to me.

I left my My02 untouched for 5 weeks last summer (didn't disconnect alarm or anything)

Came back from hols and started first time no probs...

So one week sounds very wrong, get it checked mate - battery, charging, alarm etc.

Hope it all works out

fdpxfunix 03 March 2003 08:52 PM

On my MY99 I replaced the original battery in Sep 2002 due to it not holding a charge. I could jump start the Scoob, take it for a 30 mile run and then turn it off, but the battery was dead on trying to restart.

The new battery (a Subaru supplied one) has been fine. My Scoob as been parked up (fully alarmed etc) for the last 6 weeks on my drive, due to a back injury I've got :(

The car has started every couple of weeks without fail.

J.

Forester_GP 03 March 2003 10:04 PM

The same thing happened to me in November. Immobility and cold would kill, pretty quick, a used up battery. Even if it is brand new its capacity will deteriorate substantially within a few cold weeks if not charged meantime. The exact opposite is during the summer where a proper charge will deliver more than the nominal rated capacity. (Self discharge rate also applies here - dependant on cell construction)

George

JohnD 03 March 2003 10:29 PM

Hi Darren
Chris' STi7 Suffered a spate of flat battery probs (thought it was lack of use!) turns out that it was a duff battery - and not the first one to be reported to the dealer either! Get it load tested.
JohnD
PS Why no one at Brands on Sunday?

Crusty 05 March 2003 06:34 AM

Same thing happened to me. After approx one week parked up the car alarm had drained the battery below starting levels... easy fix, buy a 240>12Volt smart trickle charger !! Now after a two week holiday the car starts as if i never left ;)

Strider 05 March 2003 08:26 PM

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME WHEN WE WERE DUE TO CATCH A FERRY FOR OUR HOLS, AS A RESULT OF SHORT RUNS PRIOR TO TRYING TO START IT ON AM OF DEPARTURE.... EACH START TAKES A LOT OUT OF THE BATTERY.
SUGGEST YOU RUN IT FOR 15MINS @ HIGH REVS ONCE YOU GET IT GOING.

p1 tud 06 March 2003 07:28 AM

crusty whered you get your trickle charger from? im after one cos i got this prob too, flat battery after a fortnight :( now its flat every day after its been fully charged up leave it a day and its flat again.

AlexM 03 June 2003 11:12 AM

A battery in good condition is not going to have any problems starting the car after weeks of accessory drain (alarm etc).

It is worth using a trickle charger to maintain the battery at it's highest level of charge to maximise the life of the battery, but if it won't hold a charge it really isn't worth being stranded - just fork out £50 for the new battery instead.

[Edited by AlexM - 3/6/2003 11:15:05 AM]