ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Jet washing a 205 engine (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/183340-jet-washing-a-205-engine.html)

Dream Weaver 03 March 2003 10:33 AM

Started on my 205 XS project car yesterday. Gave it a full service, fitted performance filter, plugs etc.

However, there is quite a bad oil leak somewhere, which has chucked oil in the alternator, and then chucked it all over the engine bay.

So next Sunday, i was thinking of masking EVERYTHING up in the bay, degreasing, then blasting it with the jet washer. This would then give me an idea of where the oil leak is. It is not a bad leak as it never loses oil, but it is messy.

Any tips on jet washing?

CJB 03 March 2003 11:53 AM

a mate of mine has one of these. what year is yours?? its quite common for the dip stick casing to crack and leek and also the sump is in a low position which is why my mate caught his on a rock and cracked his.

ciaran

Merc_Cosworth 03 March 2003 12:03 PM

1) Do it with the engine running, and leave it running for a while afterwards.
2) Cover it in engine degreaser first, toothbrush required.
3) Do not point the jet straight at the Rad core - it'll bend it.
4) Similarly, don't spray it directly at sparky bits like the coil
5) Do it over a drain - cos it makes a hell of a mess

Dream Weaver 03 March 2003 12:50 PM

CJB - you've just helped me no end there :) I was looking at the dipstick yesterday, and wondering why it wasn't sitting properly. The edge bit which gives you the final "push" so to say has come away, so the dipstick just rests on top of the shaft leaving a gap. I bet it has just been spurting oil out the top all this time, as there really is oil everywhere - carb is covered, bonnet covered, gearbox covered etc etc.

It is a 90G, and was my sisters, then my mums. It has been sitting unused for 3-4 months, and I have just sold my MR2 so my dad said I could have it for £200 :)

So just doing it up as a project car for now, use it for a year, then buy another MR2/Scoob, and keep it as a trackday car :) Fairly sure you could have solved the oil problem for me though :)

Merc - think I will go the degreaser and hosepipe route - think the jet washer will kill it :)

[Edited by Dream Weaver - 3/3/2003 12:50:43 PM]

Merc_Cosworth 03 March 2003 12:56 PM

No - hose pipe a waste of time..

Jet washing is fine as long as you think about what you're pointing the jet at....

I know this cos I bought a pressure washer a while back,and went through a phase of jetting everything down

Car, wheels, engine, patio, house, dog, children etc etc

Dream Weaver 03 March 2003 02:29 PM

LOL :D

It is very therapeutic though, so I know why you did everything. :)

Did our backyard last year and it was amazing. The stone wall we thought was green turned out to be sand coloured :eek:

Took all the paint of the back gate though :(

David_Wallis 03 March 2003 02:59 PM

Id not bother masking much up on an engine like that.. its not like theres much to go wrong.. assuming the 205xs is carb??

So watch out for dizzy.. ht leads, plugs.. carb / airfilter..

Warm the engine.. cover in gunk with a paint brush.. and get a steam cleaner on it, or a pressure washer if you must... :D

If you are sensible about how close you go, and where you aim the pressure washer then electrics will not be a problem.

David

Dream Weaver 03 March 2003 03:25 PM

Its your fault anyway this Dave ;)

Watching all those "get yer hands mucky" DIY threads of yours has turned me into a grease monkey, intent on dismantling and rebuilding the whole bloody car :rolleyes:

Most of the interior is downstairs in the kitchen sink, to get rid of my old mans horrible fag stains etc :D

David_Wallis 04 March 2003 12:02 PM

LOL..

David