ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Has a SNOPER let any body down? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/183026-has-a-snoper-let-any-body-down.html)

wardie 02 March 2003 08:41 AM

Just woundering how good these are? Has any body been caught useing one?

S.B. 02 March 2003 08:42 AM

SNOPER
...?

wardie 02 March 2003 08:54 AM

SNOOPER then

StudentScooby 02 March 2003 09:30 PM

I had an S5 cost nearly £300 never gave enough warning hence 2 bans on me license save the cash and just drive slow.

dave cos4x4 02 March 2003 09:39 PM

I have had a couple of them,they were crap, your better of getting a gps type of radar detector which is capable of picking up guns also.

These type though cost a lot of money,but how much is your licence worth!

Dave.

MRK_IV 02 March 2003 09:39 PM

Had a Valentine One now for a few years and it's been invaluable.

Civic Type R 02 March 2003 10:29 PM

I have a Bel Euro 550 and it's excellent though it's pricey.........you'll get them cheap on Ebay though........

Failing that get a Road Angel with laser detection

sKunk 02 March 2003 11:40 PM

The Bel Euro is WAY better than a cheapy snooper.

What you pay for is what you get....

supra460+++ 03 March 2003 12:45 AM

Get a laser jammer,hide it and save all the hassle

exesspeed 03 March 2003 03:01 AM

snoopers are crap. valentine or bell their the only 2 manufacturers i would use, from experience

TopBanana 03 March 2003 09:33 AM

I have a Bel 990, works a treat (when it's switched on - doh!)

wwp8 03 March 2003 09:40 AM

WHAT!!!! i just bought a s6-r neo
i was proud and people say they are crap!!!

FERRARINUTTER 03 March 2003 11:17 AM

A10 Harlow to Stevenage, 70 to 50 (camera)to 70 to 50 (Camera) to 70, Snooper S6R neo picked them all up with 500 mts notice...........

Saved me 6 points large fines and probably my licence.......had it for 2 months and has picked up all gatsos, specs and truvellos

Even went looking for the police and it picked them up too.........great bit of kit...........

162 mph in a P1 03 March 2003 11:33 AM

well mine did not work for me and usually u get so little warning its to late anyway it pick up traffic lights better than guns or cameras.

MJW 03 March 2003 11:33 AM

Older Snoopers aren't much cop compared to Bell and Valentine, but the S6-R Neo is a great all rounder - picks up all cameras along with laser/radar traps. The only system currently on the market that does all three.

I can't comment on its laser/radar effectiveness as I don't have anything to compare to nor have I run into any potential 'situations' with it, but it has never failed to pick out the many different types of revenue-collector cameras.

FERRARINUTTER 03 March 2003 11:59 AM

S6R neo is great with lasers and radar, went to test them with a friendly traffic cop..........

And tested them in and around the Southend area picked them all up

Lasers typically 1.5 to 2 miles notice

Handhelds & stationey radars around 350 to 500 metres

Though this is with the sensor located in the grill at the bottom of the car

alcazar 03 March 2003 12:46 PM

Am I right in thinking that these things are still illegal to use in France? I was over there last week, and was only saved from two large fines on French motorways by the fact that I was towing a trailer, and so going relatively slowly:D
Alcazar

dba 03 March 2003 12:47 PM

whats useful about the Snooper S6-R Neo is the mute facilities.You can effectively mute traffic lights and all unwanted alrms when you are under the speed limit.

To the guy that mentioned it picks up laser at 1-2 miles.Is that enough? is that picking it up before they have locked onto ypour car specifically?

MJW 03 March 2003 12:58 PM

The laser detector unit can also detect 'scatter' ie. if there's a laser trap down the road targetting other cars, it'll warn you. If you're unlucky enough to be targetted yourself you're as good as nicked. Having said that they have to take 3 readings and average them, so if you're not going *too* much over the limit and are quick on the brake pedal you may stand a fighting chance, but I wouldn't want to risk it personally.

akshay67 03 March 2003 03:20 PM

I have the S5 and the false alarms annoy the crap outta me - these days 'eyes' make for a better detector as you can spot the yellow coloured cameras from a reasonable distance and with accuracy.

Gooner 03 March 2003 06:02 PM

I've just purchased the S6 R Neo, as the instructions clearly state, these do not allow you to travel at excess speed, however, should you be over the restricted limit the device will let you know in plenty of time that you are approaching 'cash machines', Oh sorry, I meant safety cameras.
With regard to the radar / Laser detector part, I havn't yet been near one with it, will let you know when I do!