ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   2 x 12" subs in ported box but something must be wrong, any suggestions???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/181743-2-x-12-subs-in-ported-box-but-something-must-be-wrong-any-suggestions.html)

kin quick 26 February 2003 01:22 PM

I have a WRX MY02 with a twin 12" ported V-I-B-E box and matched amp which is putting approx 750WRMS up the subs (VP4 - VIBE)!

I have heard an E36 saloon with same set-up (solid rear frame behind the seats as in MY02) and it is really loud, therefore I was expecting the same/better due to less sound deadening in the Scoob.

I have positioned it in loads of different places and angles in the boot and with the armrest up and down but to my dismay am not getting a response anywhere near that of the BMW. It is fairly loud but not as loud and doesnt seem to drop as low as other installs with 2 12" subs.

I had a BMW E36 saloon myself with only a single 12" ported box with 300WRMS amp and even that sounded better than the VIBE (and that had been in my Astra GTE for 4 and 1/2 years previous!!)

I bought the VIBE due to recommendations and magazine reviews and it is a good make at a good price so am a bit dissapointed after sound deadening the whole boot and taking a weekend to do it properly!!

Has anyone got any suggestions or had experiance with this box and amp?
What type of set-up (make, speaker size, amp power) have you found best in the Scoob and which position were/are the speakers facing??

please help cos it's getting on my t1ts after all the work I put into it!!

Ross :(

matty01 26 February 2003 05:53 PM

have you double checked the head unit settings ..
sub:active
band pass:set correct
hertz:not too high
are you using the left channel for input or pre-out?(sorry if it's a bit basic advice :( )

Luke 26 February 2003 06:22 PM

6/8/10/12/15/ inch subs etc... from different companies all sound different. The cabinet could be different. the amp gain could be different

So many things..

nom 26 February 2003 07:13 PM

especially if it's ported - is the frequency the ports are tuned to correct for those speakers?

rockinRu 26 February 2003 08:02 PM

Make sure the sub's are not out of phase with each other too...especially inside the box.

Esoteric Beast 26 February 2003 08:49 PM

Inside boot of e36 nice and solid rigid boom box

Inside boot of scooby all tinny and flexable :(

You should hear mine :) I dont have a scooby no more :)

[Edited by Esoteric Beast - 2/26/2003 8:50:11 PM]

Luke 26 February 2003 10:38 PM

VERY good point!!!! Had same system in a quattro.......... Much much better.

rockinRu 27 February 2003 02:11 AM

You just need a meter to find the vehicle's res fqzy if the installs are the same...

Re-Bitten Hero 28 February 2003 01:44 PM

What about the head unit output levels? Cheap standard head units are around 1-2V, better ones around 4V or even 5V. Maybe the Merc had a better head unit (couldn't be much worse than the standard Scooby one :()

Richard

kin quick 28 February 2003 02:30 PM

Sorry took me a while to reply, got laptop for work and it crashed!!!!

My headunit is Alpine with 4V pre-outs, I have positioned the box towards the back seats - subs have plenty of room to move, there are 2 big ports on the box and when the armrest is down they are directly behind the hole in the seats!

The box comes from VIBE with subs already in it as they are matched and designed for the box.

Thinking now that I should keep the amp (heard loads of good things about it) and get an install made for the boot with 2x12" Fusion subs or maybe Alpine, not sure yet!