ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Clapton Vs Hendrix (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/181693-clapton-vs-hendrix.html)

Crush 26 February 2003 11:24 AM

So who do you think is better?

Both are legendary, Jimi played stuff you wouldn't imagine possible. Looking at the leads hurts my head :eek: And he did all that whilst singing :D

Clapton is a bit simpler, but more diverse. Just listen to the unplugged sessions :cool:. He's a brilliant song writer too.

I can't decide who I like better, I like Jimi for his rawness & Clapton for making such simple & great stuff :cool:

What do you think? ;)

TelBoy 26 February 2003 11:29 AM

Did you know the Clapton football team play their games behind the Spotty Dog pub?

Clapton's a nice place. Got a nice pond. Bit close to Hackney though. :(

Tommy 2000 26 February 2003 11:47 AM

Both ace but Jimi has to get respect for playing his guitar upside down! :D

jaycee 26 February 2003 11:50 AM

It's gotta be Jimi!!
His singing wasn't as good as Clapton's but his guitar was awesome.
He certainly shaped how the electric guitar was subsequently played.
Bit of an unfair comparison though as Jimi's been dead for over 30 years and Eric is still going strong albeit on past glory.

:D
Jason

Badger Stuffer 26 February 2003 11:51 AM

Jimi didn't play his guitar "Upside down" it was re-strung.

Jimi was the king. IMO

Clapton is a great but nearly all of his lead rifs are made up from only the pentatonic scale.

Luke 26 February 2003 11:52 AM

Clapton......... bit overated.

3times 26 February 2003 11:59 AM

Haver never seen Hendrix, but having seen Clapton on numerous occassions from very close (in front on the stage before the first row of seats) I think the guy is a genius. Saw him with Robert Cray and Buddy Guy, What a Gig.

Tommy 2000 26 February 2003 12:18 PM

badger, it was still physically upside down! :D

Mr evolution 26 February 2003 12:28 PM

Jimi By a hundred miles even the band of gypsies album had some of the best guitar playing ever heard on it.

Badger Stuffer 26 February 2003 12:42 PM

Yes but the strings aren't and an upside down body isn't that hard.

It was a gimmick. He was a legand and there is no denying that but not because he reversed a Strat.

Crush 26 February 2003 12:46 PM

Very true :cool:

Didn't he use his teeth to play too? :confused: That's nothing short of insane! :eek:

Makalu 26 February 2003 12:49 PM

Jimmy gets my vote.

(And yes, he did play an upside down Strat AND yes, he restrung it to suit so the bottom 'E' stayed as the top string)

Mak.

Chip 26 February 2003 12:56 PM

Reason his guitar was upside down was the fact that he was left handed.

Chip

Crush 26 February 2003 01:01 PM

I'm sure leftie guitars were available at the time, but wasn't the reason he turned one upside down, because he was too cheap to buy a proper one? :D

brickboy 26 February 2003 01:07 PM

Clapton was good when he was lovelorn / drunk / drugged -- see Derek & Dominoes, and 461. Rest of the time, a bit dull & formulaic .... Dusty Hill's a much better blues guitarist than Eric anyway :D

Just listen to Hendrix's "Red House" from the "Are You Experienced" album. One take -- no overdubs -- pure motherlode grade A uncut class.

Oh, and he could do acoustic too. Check his solo acoustic version of "hear my train comin'". One voice and one acoustic -- awesome stuff.

[Edited by brickboy - 2/26/2003 1:09:13 PM]

mattstant 26 February 2003 01:07 PM

both brilliant in there own right but i do hate these arguments its a bit like saying whats better an apple or an orange ?
Music is especially hard to judge as it is so esoteric.

Its the same with sport i hate those would the current england team beat the 1966 team or would Ali have beaten Tyson qyestions

Dracoro 26 February 2003 01:11 PM

I don't think he actually used his teeth. Just used the tap on strings technique with his 'fretting' hand. I can do this!!!!

Even if his guitar was strung normally, it's not that tricky if that's how you've learnt to play! I can play my mates left hander (in right handed style, very craply) even though I'm right handed but with a little bit of practice, changine to the strings the other way round isn't that difficult.

He's very good as is Clapton. Haven't heard enough of both of them to say who's better. They're both amazing from what I've heard though.

I rate Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr as amazing guitars and they play more varied stuff from slow ballads to stupidly fast riffs.

[Edited by Dracoro - 2/26/2003 1:13:01 PM]

jaycee 26 February 2003 01:11 PM

Ali in his prime - No contest! :D

Jason

Crush 26 February 2003 01:17 PM

Aye, It's not the fairest of debates, but they've both inspired a few million guitarists in their time :D

Oh, It passes the time too ;)

Badger Stuffer 26 February 2003 01:18 PM

Have any of you heard any stuff by KWS (Kenny Wayne Sheperd)?

This guy is 21 and a guitar god. He grew up listening to Jeff Beck, Hendrix, etc and is absolutely fcuking awsome.:eek:

Find a track on the net and listen to this young kid rock.:)

Only down side is he looks like on of those Hanson tw@ts.:rolleyes:

jaycee 26 February 2003 01:20 PM

I remember seeing him on tv when he was about 9 years old and he was amazing then.

Jason

muppet paster 26 February 2003 01:22 PM

I'm not going to even read this thread. What a stupid bloody question! Old slowhand has neve been in the same league as Hendrix! not even compareable, not even when Clapton also got a drud addiction!

Now say sorry to the memory of James Marshall Hendrix, and never insult his memory in such away again! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Badger Stuffer 26 February 2003 01:30 PM

KWS

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/S...12868h7cd3.jpg

Sample

Crush 26 February 2003 01:33 PM

Yeah, I remember when they stopped playing 'Hey Joe' halfway through so they could dedicate a track to Cream. It was a BBC session wasn't it?

I'm not going to even read this thread. What a stupid bloody question! Old slowhand has neve been in the same league as Hendrix! not even compareable, not even when Clapton also got a drud addiction!
I would suggest reading the thread then :rolleyes:

Now say sorry to the memory of James Marshall Hendrix, and never insult his memory in such away again!
No

muppet paster 26 February 2003 01:37 PM

The reason Hendrix Played Sunshine and the plug was pulled, was 'cause Hendrix decided to play it out of the blue, on the day that Cream annonced they were going their seperate ways. You can't compare Modern Clapton to vintage Hendrix. If Hendrix was still with us, how much would his playing of come on in 30 years? Clapton himself was in awe of Hendrix, and IMO only a handful of guitarists have ever come close, Clapton's not one of them. From that era, i'd say Beck, Winter & Santana were his closest rivals.

jaycee 26 February 2003 01:45 PM

It was a show hosted by Lulu.

Jason

mattstant 26 February 2003 01:46 PM

Hendrix always seems to come over as a thoroughly decent bloke apparently at the Isle of wight he had an argument with The Who because he didnt think he deserved to go on after them (Cant see Bono and their ilk being so gracious).
So he was determined to pull out the stops to prove he was worthy.

dont quote me on the isle of whight reference as i am no expert but i am sure about the incident

Crush 26 February 2003 01:46 PM

Quite interesting how he said "We're gonna stop playing this rubbish now..." :D

mattstant 26 February 2003 01:49 PM

You can't compare Modern Clapton to vintage Hendrix. If Hendrix was still with us, how much would his playing of come on in 30 years?

CHRIST on a bike!!!! you mean he would have got better!!!:D:D:D

now I am in mourning

jaycee 26 February 2003 01:53 PM

What about Ritchie Blackmore?????
A true guitar god!!

:D
Jason