ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Buying off eBay (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/181667-buying-off-ebay.html)

PG 26 February 2003 10:41 AM

Looking for some info on buying off eBay from the US.
Am I going to need to pay taxes when a pacage comes into the country ? (package to be an item of clothing)

Cheers
Paul

AdrianFRST 26 February 2003 10:42 AM

If you get the seller to mark the package as "GIFT" then you should be OK.

I've not tried this first hand but I'm told it usually works.

Luke 26 February 2003 10:47 AM

complete with card etc !!!!

PG 26 February 2003 11:28 AM

Cheers guys,

Has anyone tried this ?
Will it work ?
Are there taxes involved even if it is used / second hand ?

Ricky 26 February 2003 11:33 AM

Not 100 % sure about the gift idea as I think the seller is obligued to put a price on the goods. I believe though that if you put a value of $20 or less it escapes duty. Or another idea maybe is to label the goods as reconditioned/used. This may also work.

Interested myself if anyone knows what exactly 'DOES'work and what 'DOESN'T.

Ricky !

planky 26 February 2003 12:08 PM

Yep it does work but if it gets lost you will only get around £40(not 100% on the price it was a while ago) insurance so it will be a risk if the item costs alot of money.

I sent something to the US and the guy never had to pay any duty and i know it works the otherway round to.

Luke 26 February 2003 12:13 PM

I think out of about 30 parcels I have only been charged once............. "Dawes Device group buy" few years ago. But Darren Dawes was on our side about the value!!!!!!!so it was not much..

Import tax .................... I've paid enough in this country.

Ricky 26 February 2003 06:27 PM

By marking the item GIFT, this only increases the allowance by about £8.
Also Note that duty is calculated on the marked value AND the marked CARRIAGE COSTS.
I think this is a total rip off when carriage is included, but believe me this is the case as it has happened to me recently!!!!

Ricky !

robby 26 February 2003 06:51 PM

i bought some dvds in november last year which were valued at around £60 (saved about £30 on uk prices), the fedex package had the value on a label on the front.
2 Weeks ago i got a letter from fedex with a bill for £17 for import duty? nearly 3 months later.....

bigsinky 26 February 2003 08:10 PM

bought some tolkien collectable calendars from ebay. $100 plus $37 for 3-4 day delivery. i got charged

17.5% VAT
0.5% import duty
£7.75 levy by parcelforce for bring it thru customs.

What got me was the fact i was charged vat and import duty on the whole $137 not just the $100. so they charged vat and imprt duty on the actual P+P so beware. the levy by parcel just beggars belief. wouldn't give me the parcel until i coughed up £23.

Fecking robbin ba$tards.

cheers big sinky

[Edited by bigsinky - 2/26/2003 8:11:53 PM]