ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Security (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/)
-   -   What Make Is The STi 8 Alarm? (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/181459-what-make-is-the-sti-8-alarm.html)

ian_sadler 25 February 2003 05:52 PM

Any idea cos the Cobra thats fitted on my Terzo won't take turbo timer or remote start etc.???

And I may, just may, be looking at an 8 :D

TIA

Ian

chiark 25 February 2003 06:12 PM

It's a YYY fitted in the XXX just next to the ZZZ.

If someone knows the answer, mail would be most appropriate to Ian :D

chiark 25 February 2003 06:13 PM

And strictly speaking, this ain't a good idea as remote starting will invalidate your alarm's thatcham cat 1 certification, which will invalidate your insurance theft cover if the company really wants to get arsey with you...

scoobyboy 25 February 2003 06:32 PM

still a sigma alarm

Shark 25 February 2003 06:45 PM

Subaru UK use the Sigma M30, I don't know that for sure on the 8 but I see no reason why they should change.

David

Charlie H 25 February 2003 06:58 PM

Chiark - saw an advert for the new micra last night in my local chinese and that comes with remote engine start as standard!!! That could cause a few insurance problems then????

chiark 25 February 2003 07:14 PM

I guess that the Micra doesn't require a cat 1 alarm fitted to be insured ;)

Technically, it's illegal to leave a motor vehicle running unattended, so that'll be an interesting one :D

I could, of course, be horribly wrong. That'd be pretty normal for me at the moment!

ozzy 25 February 2003 07:28 PM

I guess the answer is if the car has whatever security device fitted as standard, then that's what insurers expect to cover.

If you go adding a Turbo Timer, then it will alter the spec that was tested for it's Thatcham approval and will therefore invalidate it.

I had the same issue when I wanted full closure added to my MY99's Sigma M30 alarm. It invalidates the Cat1 approval and gives the insurers a very big 'get out of jail' card come claim time.

No idea what the STI 8 comes with, but if you do decide to alter it, then a) speak to the alarm manufacturer and get written advice check and b) get even more written confirmation from your insurers.

I'm sure I still have the e-mail from Sigma that told me my Cat1 approval would go t!ts-up.

Stefan

Andrewza 25 February 2003 07:35 PM

The STi8 I test drove just had the (large) key with a single button, unlike my 7 with a seperate fob, obviously that doesn't preclude it still being a sigma, but the two subaru's (MY00, STi7)I've had have both had identical alarm fobs

[Edited by Andrewza - 2/25/2003 7:36:21 PM]

T5NYW 25 February 2003 08:06 PM

Andrew,
The Sti7 & STi8 and have the same alarm system Sigma M30 IIRC. ;)

I ordered from my dealer, a new replacement Key for my MY02STi7 it won't need the fob as built in the Key :cool: They have been waiting for 3 months and heard it arrived Today :):) around the £55 mark though so only buying one.

Tony

Tony

Andrewza 25 February 2003 08:46 PM

Probably worthwhile to reduce the key bundle, would think about it if I wasn't picking up an STi8 next week :rolleyes: :eek: :D

clarence 25 February 2003 08:50 PM

The 'remote start' on the Nissan Micra is similar to the Keyless Go system used by Merc & Renault.

ian_sadler 26 February 2003 09:50 AM

OK guys thenks for the help so far. :D

I was aware of the possible risks of changing the std. alarm.

So it's a Sigma M30.

With the Cobra on the Terzo I can't add anything. Will the Sigma allow full closure, turbo timers & remote start?

Thanks again.

Ian

Paulo P 26 February 2003 11:26 AM

Ian

Why not get a micra then ;):p save time and hassle :D

Paul

Paulo P 26 February 2003 11:28 AM

:eek:

http://www.nissandirect.biz/images/micra%20new.JPG

Maybe not ;)

Fulham71 26 February 2003 11:31 AM

Ian
I think you will find that you can have a turbo timer with any alarm ! you just need the right person to fit it ! ;)

[Edited by Fulham71 - 2/26/2003 11:31:37 AM]

ian_sadler 26 February 2003 12:14 PM

Paul & Fulham :p

Ian

Andy Porter 26 February 2003 12:30 PM

Chiark- AFAIK remote start does not invalidate insurance.
I checked with my broker and because :
a) The car is still locked
b) The car will stall if you smash a window and drive off

If this is wrong I need to hear about it me thinks !

Ian Sadler-Clifford ?

pbee 27 February 2003 11:04 AM

Do a search for sigma m30, it looks like the only options are window closure, microwave sensor, so no aux for turbo timer.

you could go for a clifford concept 300 or 500 which is cat 1 the 500 has blackjax included and both will allow a turbo timer and remote start if going for remote start you probably arent to far away for the price of the concept 600. as working on the retail price if you start with the 300 and pile lots of options on it will cost you more than starting with the 600 with all the goodies on already.

The wrx 3 and sti 8 both have sigma m30 checked last week in the owners manual whilst on a test drive and the serial number for the alarm startd with m30-numbers.

dont know about cat 1 cert with remote start and turbo timers guessyou would need to speak to your friendly local dealer.

Rab 01 March 2003 05:23 AM

GF Has just bought a micra and it does not have a remote engine start. It does have keyless entry / ignition though, and more storage bins than you could think possible

chiark 02 March 2003 08:47 PM

Andy, get it in writing from your insurer, as at the moment you'll have something saying "car must be fitted with thatcham cat 1 alarm which is used for theft cover to be active". Or something like that.

Strictly speaking, *anything* that changes your alarm's immobilisation nulls the thatcham cat 1. As long as your insurer is happy, go for it. :D