ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   P1..... Is there anything worth doing to it.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/180567-p1-is-there-anything-worth-doing-to-it.html)

Kartmann187 23 February 2003 11:33 AM

Hi....

New to Scooby land... Have a P1 2001... I was wondering what you pep's would suggest in the way of mods... I'm very happy with the car and just wondered what was about....

M0NEY 23 February 2003 11:54 AM

Do you mean exteriors mods, interior, engine or all 3?

Mickle 23 February 2003 11:56 AM

Hi and welcome. First thing I did with my P1 (within a few days) was a full HKS exhaust system. The standard P1 just doesn't sound right being sooooooo quiet on the standard exhaust.

Do you know if your car is standard or are there extra bits already?

fusioneer 23 February 2003 12:07 PM

exhaust system will boost the performance quite considerably without causing any harm or having to mess about with the ECU (according to the ones who know) also the bumpsteer mod will improve the handling no end. they are the TWO IMHO.

Brun 23 February 2003 12:09 PM

First and foremost, lose the orange indicators and fit a backbox. :)

MARK MORRIS 23 February 2003 12:49 PM

i had a full scoobysport system, 18's, alcons and clear indicators, 18's were an improvement but i only bought mine because i damaged 2 of my 17's, alcons were good but not good enough for the money, i would have gone for brembos/aps if doing it again, scoobysport system or cat back a must
mark

john banks 23 February 2003 01:17 PM

I am not the only one that would not put a full exhaust system on a P1 without remapping it. You could say I am biased though, but I would put a full exhaust on a MY99/00 UK car without mapping it. I won't bore you with the details, just to say that if you do put an exhaust on it too, make sure you have a boost gauge and a knocklink. Check that the boost is not creeping at the top end, and that the knocklink on maximum sensitivity never shows anything other than a few greens at high RPM.

Kartmann187 23 February 2003 02:24 PM

Ok... The car has OZ 18's... Uprated front brakes.... I have been told that there has been nothing else added to the engine or anything else.... Oh it has clear lights.....

Josh L 23 February 2003 02:35 PM

P1 backbox with a de-cat downpipe makes a big difference to the performance and the sound. However, the concensuc of opinion is that you're best getting a remap to go with it.

However, this is all academic if you have a warranty, and wish to retain it.

Josh

Brett P1 23 February 2003 03:13 PM

Sorry to jump on your post kartman! but can somebody i.e john explain this knocklink to me? I also have a P1 with EcuTek 3 remap, full system and downpipe and aps airfilter! cheers

john banks 23 February 2003 03:35 PM

See http://www.brdevelopments.com/link.html scroll down to knocklink

[Edited by john banks - 2/23/2003 3:36:15 PM]

Kartmann187 23 February 2003 03:44 PM

Would I be better of leaving the car as Standard until the warrenty runs out... Also here is a strange one for you...

I was on the M1 yesterday and stopped at the service just after J 13 heading North.... Went to arm the alarm and nothing happened.. Engine imobolised so I could not even start the car... :'(....

Called Scooby assist and they said it was interferance and they have many calls for scooby owners in that area.... Its a black stop...

We pushed the car about 30 meters behind a tree and it started to work again...

Can anyone please tell me if this is true...

chrisp 23 February 2003 04:10 PM

I have an import RA and resisted doing the full decat due to the remapping issues. The Type RA only has a DP cat anyway so I just replaced the STI centre with resonator with a TSL straight thru centre and replaced the bb with a scoobysport back box. Believe me its loud enough and quick enough, for me anyway. I wouldnt want to go any louded put it that way ;). Been in cars with full decats that are quieter :D, must be something to do with the noise suppression or lack of it ;).

The TunnelMeister 23 February 2003 04:13 PM

Hi Kartmann,

what you describe is a known issue. I have this with both a MY00 & P1. Apparently the frequencies used by some immobilsers are subject to interference by the new breed of radio systems, particularly those used by the police!! (Hence why m/way service areas can be a prob!)

I ended up have the complete unit being changed by the dealer.

For what its worth there is a 'trick' that can sometimes work before calling Subaru assistance. Mail me for info.

All you can do is be aware of the black spots and any radio masts within line of sight.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Brewsters_Millions 23 February 2003 04:30 PM

Sorry to sound thick lads. But what the hell is, or is a bumpsteer and knocklink!?

Brun 23 February 2003 04:32 PM

See John Bank's post up there for the Knocklink and see here for Bumpsteer :)

chrisp 23 February 2003 04:39 PM

bumpsteer - http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=99232

knocklink - http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=152532

Easy when you use the search facility ;)

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/search.asp

Brett P1 23 February 2003 04:57 PM

Hi John, The P1 that I have bought has the EcuTek 3 mod which was carried out by BR developments, I would be very interested in having the knocklink fitted what would you charge? Cheers

[Edited by Brett P1 - 2/23/2003 5:13:23 PM]

The TunnelMeister 23 February 2003 05:00 PM

Brett,

re; the knocklink, i'm a total novice when it comes to anything mechanical but even I fitted one in about an hour!!! :D

Use the search facility and you will find the instructions with piccies mate! :)

cheers

Steve.

Brett P1 23 February 2003 05:11 PM

Cheers Tunnelmeister! didnt realise would be that easy to fit! I think there is a group buy for them on here isn't there?

Mickle 23 February 2003 05:23 PM

I had exactly the same alarm problem at exactly the same services as you!!!

I thought my batteries were dead in the key fob. Ended up trying about 20 times and eventually got it going again. Subsequently I've change the keypad code to a code I can remeber so i'll never get stuck again.

BigMikeyBoy 23 February 2003 07:58 PM

Hi mate,
have had my P1 for about 4 weeks now and have done a couple of things, they are as follows:

Replaced standard 4 pots with TSL 6 pot brake upgrade, great stopping power now.
Scoobysport BB fitted, standard STi was tooooooooo quiet, had the p$ss ripped out of me! ScoobyJawa if you are reading this, NICE!!!!!
Blitz VTA dump valve fitted.
Will probably have gauges fitted soon along with knocklink.

Mikey

john banks 23 February 2003 10:23 PM

The VTA may cause you no end of problems ranging from unstable idle, poor gearchanges and worsening to bore wash and dilution of the oil with petrol. Not a good idea on a MAF based ECU.