ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   12volt ATX power supply... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/178934-12volt-atx-power-supply.html)

ramdor 18 February 2003 01:48 PM

Hi,

I am looking for a 12 volt ATX power supply (200-250 watt, ~9-18volt input range)... I have found a couple sold in the US, but none in the UK. Anyone know of a UK supplier for such a power supply?

As an example of the thing I am looking for... click...

Cheers,

Richie.

DominicA 18 February 2003 03:51 PM

tried maplins??

ramdor 18 February 2003 04:00 PM

yep, rs components and farnell... no luck though :( Strange that I cant even find one UK supplier that stocks these 12v power supplies.

Richie.

chiark 18 February 2003 08:28 PM

Two ways of doing this: a cheap (nasty) way that works, or an elegant, espensive way

Cheap: buy a 150W inverter from maplins for 20 quid, or 250W for 30 quid. You're converting 12v->240v AC->5/12/3.3v dc. It isn't elegant, but it works and is cheap.

Proper, but cheap-ish: make your own. I have a circuit diagram, but it'll still cost around 60 quid in parts before you kick off

proper: buy one from Taiwan. I sourced one, and it'll cost around $160 + shipping + VAT + duty for a proper 8-18V atx psu.

I'm using the PSU from a Morex 2688 case, but with an inverter at the moment. It takes 12v input, but I'm not convinced you can just whack it straight on a car's supply without a bit of transient protection. Also, I haven't confirmed whether the 12v output from the PSU is actually regulated again - given that it's expecting 12v in...

The PSU that you found is the same one that I've been speaking with the manufacturer about... I can find a more accurate cost if you like?

Cheers,
Nick.

[Edited by chiark - 2/18/2003 8:40:15 PM]

ramdor 19 February 2003 04:32 PM

Nick,

I thought about using an inverter, but I really want a nice tidy solution that is hopefully more efficient than going from 12>240>12,3.3,5. I have spent ages looking for a suitable 12v power supply. The ones I have found are $190 and up.. then $80-100 for shipping, so its not cheap :(

I'd be interested in some further info from that manufacturer that you have been talking to...costs etc.. you planning on buying? I am really looking for 2 of the things. Perhaps we could get a group buy thing going... I am sure there must me more than 2 people here who fancy the idea of having a PC in the boot ;)

Cheers,

Richie.

chiark 19 February 2003 05:19 PM

I actually considered setting up as a UK importer, but the price breaks and investment are a definite downside.

Drop me a mail, I'm sure we can get something going even if we end up just ordering 3, it'll bring the shipping down. I've received a pro-forma from the company for 1 "sample", so I'll drop them a mail.

Anyone else interested? Price will be a little over 100 quid, plus VAT and shipping I think. Drop me a mail if you are. We'll set this up as a "group buy", though I suspect I might need money up front. It may be wise for us to get a sample first too - I'm willnig to do that...

[Edited by chiark - 2/19/2003 5:48:17 PM]

Robertio 19 February 2003 06:26 PM

If it is the simple solution I have been looking for then add me to your list Nick :) and I'll not bother getting the minitx one .

chiark 19 February 2003 07:34 PM

This is the simplest solution yes, but it's the most expensive :(

However, it is capable of over 200w, unlike the 55w mini-itx...

ramdor 19 February 2003 09:06 PM

Nick, YHM :D

This one looks quite interesting...

sleekline...

Richie.

chiark 19 February 2003 10:08 PM

You're right - that does look interesting... The one that I'm looking at is a standard ATX size, too, which is good in some ways and not ideal in others.