ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Elastic Band Effect - Overtaking (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/175647-elastic-band-effect-overtaking.html)

The Saint 08 February 2003 04:16 PM

Is it me?

I often find that after following relatively slow moving cars (30-50) on B roads, and then overtaking, thay kind of magically speed up to almost the speed that I am doing after I have overtaken (whan I am doing sane speeds etc). It's what I call the elastic band effect.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Saint

NotoriousREV 08 February 2003 04:35 PM

I prefer to call it the arsehole effect. They go slow and they don't like anyone going faster so they floor it in a vain attempt to stop you getting past. Anyone doing this should be shot on sight.

Alas 08 February 2003 04:44 PM

Tends to happen to me as well. Especially when I overtake one of these white cars with guys in uniform inside:D
Alas

The Saint 08 February 2003 05:32 PM

Alas,

LOL - but I do home you are not implying police are a55holes, for they are not.

Saint

J4CKO 08 February 2003 05:34 PM

I work for them !

Soe are,most are ok though.

Flat 4x4 08 February 2003 05:40 PM

Find it happens a lot with the Legacy on cruise control on the motorway. Go past at 85 on speedo and they're doing 70-75. End up doing 95-100 to get past and have to reset the cruise.

GreenMachine 08 February 2003 06:05 PM

Seems to be standard practise when the motorway is not so busy.

I prefer to make "decisive" overtakes in other circumstances, and people tend not to come after me ;)

SiDHEaD 08 February 2003 06:19 PM

Some1 did this to me the other day. They were doing 50 so i went past on a nice long straight, i saw a puff of smoke as the tried in vain to speed up.

Then further up the road i was turning right at an island, so had to wait longer and they came up alongside me and everyone in the car was sticking their fingers up at me :confused:

Andy

CTR 08 February 2003 06:30 PM

Is very bizarre, happens just about everytime I overtake someone, and then they give you abuse too! Dont see why people have such a problem with being overtaken, and why they cant continue to drive at their own speed. I bet most of them, are the ones who complain about people speeding, and yet will quite happily accelerate when someone is overtaking them, which incidently I think is one of the most dangerous things to do, and then speed following the car that has just overtaken them. I know which one I think is more dangerous, speeding a little, or trying to stop someone overtaking from overtaking them, hmmm...

alcazar 08 February 2003 09:55 PM

I've also noticed a worrying tendency for overtaken drivers to flash, gesticulate, sound their horn etc.
PLEASE don't tell me they're all buying the "Speed kills" crtap as doled out by lying labour?

David_Dickson 08 February 2003 10:00 PM

In a similar vein...
Anyone ever noticed that when driving on a 2 lane motorway or dual carriageway, when you approach a car in the fast lane which is slowly overtaking stuff in the slowlane, you get stuck behind them at 65-70mph for ages, then when the road is clear and they pull in they speed up to 75-80 just as you start to pass them?
I notice this happening pretty much every day to and from work, and without wanting to start and argument, 95% of the time its a woman driving and they dont seem to be aware they are doing it!

TurboKitty 08 February 2003 11:17 PM

BAIT!!!

*here fishy, fishy, fishy*

fast bloke 09 February 2003 01:22 AM

alcazar - surely you mean - Iraq kills if you ask someone who quailified 12 years ago?

p.s. Maybe it is just because it is!! How profound is that?

scooby nutter 09 February 2003 12:26 PM

also its funny when your folowing someone in a 60 zone they drive at 40.now when we come to a 30 zone the same car carries on at 40 instead of slowing down!

boxst 09 February 2003 01:21 PM

ScoobyNutter:

But that's how "normal" people drive. It's quite shocking really: My father thinks that he is a good driver, and rarely goes above 50mph, but completely fails to slow down during a 30.

As I'm a little worried speeding tickets, if I slow down in a 30mph limit, I get a queue of traffic behind me.

Weird.

Steve.

scooby nutter 09 February 2003 05:06 PM

i get the same steve.Ok to go a bit mad in the 60 zone with no-one about but in the 30 zones when i stick to the limit you get tailgaiters and people driving up yer arris!!

GreenMachine 09 February 2003 07:44 PM

Queues behind at 30mph - very true.

I have found that the *only* place people drive at 30 in Nottingham is where the SPECS cameras are up (they slow for GATSOs and speed up afterwards)

I have tried it occassionally and you frequently get a posse of frustrated people trying to push you along!

A friend of mine rides a powerful motorbike and sticks religiously to 30s 40s and 50s. Makes me cringe to see everyone he has recently passed overtaking him again on empty straight roads with 30 limits.

unclebuck 02 September 2003 07:58 PM

Tends to be old fools in maroon coloured Ford Fiestas. Had one the other night. First he pulls out of his drive right in front of me (ok I can handle that) then tootles down to the juction with me patiently behind him. Gets to the crossroads and just sits there:confused: Eventually I toot my horn and he turns right, so do I. I overtake him now as it's safe and 'it' starts. Sticks his lights on full beam as I pass and leave 'em on. So he wants some trouble eh? I slam my brakes and rear fogs on and then he trys to overtake me!! :D:D even tho' there is a car coming the other way.:eek: Christmas!!:D:D I gently accelerate so as to keep him behind and he has to pull in again to avoid a head on :rolleyes: Notice his lights are now no longer on full beam!

Proceed with my journey with no more unprovoked agro. Stupid old cnut!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by unclebuck - 2/9/2003 7:59:50 PM]