ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Considering Changing my P1. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/173239-considering-changing-my-p1.html)

Dixie P1 02 February 2003 10:57 AM

I'm thinking of changing my P1.
The car I have been looking at is the sti7(Preferably with PPP).
I haven't driven the sti7 in standard form or with PPP,so obviuosly I would need to drive it for myself to make up my own mind.

What I am wanting to know is how does the sti7 compare with the P1, especially with the PPP fitted.Also is there a big difference in the car non PPP and PPP'd.

Has anybody on here made this change and regreted it?
What is slightly worrying is the thread I have read about the strange performance of the sti7

Pro Boy 02 February 2003 11:02 AM

Dixie P1
made that change but to a sti8 and as yet no regrets, did test drive a 7 with ppp and one without and cant wait to get the ppp for my 8. sold p1 private so that paid for ppp

didnt want to lose more on p1, but with the ppp still got the power

Dixie P1 02 February 2003 01:03 PM

Pro Boy

Was the sti7 with PPP as quick as the P1.

Dixie P1 03 February 2003 07:49 AM

Surely there must be people out there that have made this change.
Come on guys give me some idea!
It would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Josh L 03 February 2003 08:18 AM

To be honest, I don't think I know of anyone who changed from a P1 to an STi7, although I'm sure there must be a couple. P1 to STi8 seems to be fairly common though.

I think the problem is that the P1 wasn't old enough, when the 7 came out, to merit changing.

Josh

DrEvil 03 February 2003 10:39 AM

Rum changed from a P1 to a UK300PPP to an STi7PPP and now has an STi8 PPP.. the STi8 seems to give him a bigger grin than the P1, AFAIK the STi7 didn't...

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong..

MARK MORRIS 03 February 2003 12:32 PM

i went from a p1 with 18's, alcons and full ss system to a sti7, a better handling and stopping car, less understeer but slower and not so exciting, now got my ppp, think its quicker than p1 and more exciting to drive, just quieter and more grown up
mark

Dixie P1 03 February 2003 12:42 PM

Thanks Mark

Just what I wanted to here.Is the performance(with PPP fitted/handling alot better than the P1.Also is the build quality better.How much did the PPP cost if you don't mind me asking and would you recommend it.

ago2 03 February 2003 01:11 PM

I went from P1 to STI7 as well -had PPP fitted in nov and haven't stopped grinning yet - faster than P1 but much smoother and you don't realise how fast you are going until you look at the speedo.

Ps on rolling road saturday gave 310bhp with 228 at wheels!!!!!

Andy

p1doc 03 February 2003 04:47 PM

i will be changing from a p1 to a sti8 ex demo in about 6 months,still undecided re ppp till i drive one,irecall someone getting a £600 premium on his insurance for having it!!
martin
ps ?driving lights

MARK MORRIS 03 February 2003 04:49 PM

dixie
the performance and handling are better than the p1, build quality is far better, paint still chips easy though, no creaks and rattles like my p1 had, ppp cost me £2003, well worth it
mark

Dixie P1 03 February 2003 05:31 PM

Cheers Mark

You've just helped me make my mind up.I will be posting on the For sale and Wanted forums soon.
Must admit I will be sad to see my P1 go,it's looked after like a baby.However sti7(with PPP fitted),can't wait.

Dean.

Dixie P1 04 February 2003 10:36 AM

Any more comments please.

MARK MORRIS 04 February 2003 12:04 PM

dixie
now what you mean, a friend of my wives parents bought his a week before me, sometimes when we call up their house its on the drive, gets me sentimental like
mark

Floyd 04 February 2003 12:42 PM

IIRC the PPP on the STi7 is different to the STi8. The latter having an ECUTEK based mod rather than a piggy back botch-up. I'd feel happier with the ECUTEK remap if it were my money so that would mean me getting a dopey-eye 8!

F