ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   3.0 Litre Impreza STI (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/171755-3-0-litre-impreza-sti.html)

gareth 28 January 2003 12:26 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted - couldn't find any other threads about it...

from www.autoexpress.co.uk:

"350bhp Impreza Muscles In

Things move fast at Subaru... very fast. Although the new Impreza has only just arrived, the firm is already plotting to unleash an STi model that could end the Japanese supercar debate with Mitsubishi once and for all.

A senior source at the company told Auto Express: "Subaru has something quite special in the pipeline. We're now working on a 3.0-litre turbo Impreza for Japan and Europe that will generate in excess of 350bhp.

"Unfortunately, we're having teething problems with the transmission as the current WRX STi six-speed box isn't capable of handling the torque the engine produces." Several solutions are being investigated, with the most popular being to ask a company such as Getrag, which has much experience in building heavy-duty gearboxes, to work on the transmission.

But before you race down to your nearest dealer, bear in mind how long this is likely to take. Development of the car is said to be very complicated. Our source suggests we won't see the 3.0-litre turbo powering a Subaru until the next Impreza model change, due in 2007. However, anyone wanting a taste of what's to come should be aware a muscular 3.0-litre normally aspirated engine - the platform for the turbo unit - will be used in the new Legacy, here in June. Subaru says the non-turbo will pump out close to 240bhp, which is 25bhp over the current car's output.

The company also plans to scrap the twin-turbo 2.0-litre engine that powers the Japan-only Legacy B4 - a car British Subaru fans had coveted. This motor will be replaced by a 2.0-litre single-turbo B4, which will use the unit that debuted in the Impreza STi. The reworked Legacy arrives next year.
Peter Lyon"

wacky.banana 28 January 2003 12:47 PM

Well Gareth, if there is any merit in this, ie if this is not another story concocted by the car magazines, then I can't wait!

Might well restore our faith in the brand which has had a batering recently via the pricing issues, etc. Whilst all that is simply market forces doing their bit, it has left several enthusiasts with a bad taste in the mouth.

Cheers

WB

Knight Rider 28 January 2003 12:48 PM

Sounds good but given the fact that Autoexpress´s sources were wrong about the look of the MY03 facelift........we have every reason to be sceptical.

gareth60 28 January 2003 01:00 PM

It'd be interested, but I dunno how they can squeeze a 3ltr lump in the tiny Impreza engine bay?

Knight Rider 28 January 2003 01:18 PM

If true, than it will probably been first seen in the 3rd gen Impreza. Which will therefore be bigger.

Stuart Knight 28 January 2003 01:23 PM

I'm sure I remember someone saying that the H6 3 litre lump is only 20mm longer than the two litre!! So size shouldn't be a problem.

gareth 28 January 2003 01:27 PM

Don't shoot the messenger... :)

It's this sort of idle speculation that makes SN go around.

G

gareth 28 January 2003 01:28 PM

I also heard there's an H6 diesel on the cards, so maybe that'll be an option on the 3rd gen Impreza as well ;)

Stuart J 28 January 2003 01:45 PM

Gareth, HOPE your right, Subaru need a new flagship car, the current trend is to soften the car (similar to the way the Golf GTI has evolved). Its now just one of several similar 300 ish brake cars & now with similar residuals
Also re the diesel, Subaru desperately need dare I say an economical car for mass sales, for every STI they sell they must need to sell quite a few of the ordinary models.
Several dealers I have spoken to whilst researching the new wheels selling other brands are saying Diesel sales are soaring, OK they sell a lot of cars in the states but cheap fuel wont be there for ever.

Adam M 28 January 2003 01:48 PM

if its an h6 based car I wouldnt be too happy running massive power. the layout is less than ideal with siamesed ports and touching cylinders, but it is only 20mm longer than the flat four.

I have scanned through but does it actually say the engine will be a flat 6?

Surely they wouldnt be foolish enough to make anything bigger than a 2.5 litre 4?

Dizzy 28 January 2003 02:05 PM

:confused: wasn't the SVX a flat 6? also dont a dodgy german manufacturer have a couple of ponies out of a flat 6?

Steve001 28 January 2003 02:08 PM

QUOTE - It'd be interested, but I dunno how they can squeeze a 3ltr lump in the tiny Impreza engine bay?

ive heard its gonna be a mid engined 2 seater ;)

John Stevenson 28 January 2003 02:08 PM

A wee birdy told me that the new H6 is infact shorter than the current EJ20.

Knight Rider 28 January 2003 02:10 PM

The SVX had a flat 6

But wasn´t the diesel motor mentioned regarding a joint cooperation between SAAB and Subaru. A GM thingy......

Adam M 28 January 2003 03:31 PM

the H6 is the EZ30, the svx is the eg33. the eg 33 is effectively a ej22 with two extra cylinders and hence is very long.

I have no issues with people making big flat sixes, I am just worried it will be a 3 litre flat four!

Flat 12, that is the way forward!