ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   What training do u IT guys/gals get? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/170957-what-training-do-u-it-guys-gals-get.html)

CC 24 January 2003 10:40 PM

Just wondering if and what sort of IT training you people get on behalf of your company?

I've been with mine nearly a year now and basically have received sod all :(. I do perform a fairly critical role for the company. I often use software thats fairly tricky to use but have received bugger all training even though I've no experience of it....I have coped but it's a constant battle sometimes when i know that there easier ways to do things....

Just wondering why the non training stance when I read about other IT bods getting training, and people within my dept. have had training too.

Opinions please. P45 in post :D? Scared I'll get too qualified and do one (hope not cos thats not my intention whatsoever)? If you face dont fit etc?

Come on IT managers/professionals alike...what do ya reckon?

SCOSaltire 24 January 2003 11:58 PM

been at this job nearly 5 years
only training i have had is out of work hours studying
i do get time off to go to take the exam if i need it, and get the books bought for me - but no courses or that...

Jye_0 25 January 2003 12:09 AM

Put in request for abacus last week :(

edited to say was turned down, lol

[Edited by Jye_0 - 1/25/2003 12:10:29 AM]

Loopylu 25 January 2003 12:12 AM

edited coz this aint my username!
Joolz

[Edited by Loopylu - 1/25/2003 12:19:33 AM]

jbryant 25 January 2003 12:20 AM

What do we get? Whatever courses are relevant to our jobs. At the moment that means MS courses in W2K track and backoffice products we're using as well as VBS scripting and AD stuff for future projects.

And sorry no, we're not recruiting! :(
Joolz

Iain Young 25 January 2003 09:53 AM

Been with my firm for 8 years now, and never had any training. Learnt it all myself as I've gone along....

Iain

asifR 25 January 2003 10:26 AM

get quite a lot here,

they encourage you to take the courses on offer.......

have just signed up to a tcp/ip & LAN fundamentals course, which is a two dayer in Birmingham......pool car and hotel and time off work....cost me nowt!!!

we can get everything from....voice, data, ccna, microsoft type courses, also health and safety, management trainee stuff....it will be authorised if it's in my PDP and no-one else is off on the team.

did i also mention we have a library upstairs for certain courses!!!

Gedi 25 January 2003 10:33 AM

CISSP
CISA
CCNA
GIAC
Security+
I also did a computer science and networking degree, C++ certs and UNIX certs.

Just google search if you want information on them all...loads out there....the CISSP can pretty much garantee you a job above 50K a year.

[Edited by Gedi - 25/01/2003 11:01:02]

darlodge 25 January 2003 03:28 PM

In 3 years at my last company I went on about 5 courses (PC hardware and troubleshooting, Advanced Hardware, Windows 2000 Admin, Exchange 2000 Admin, Lotus Admin) and in 4 months at my new company I have already been on one (Novell Admin) and the next is on the cards soon (CCNA).

Both of the companies I have worked for are very into training staff, which is good :D

Darren

darlodge 25 January 2003 03:30 PM

Also been on a few team building and customer care and liaison courses, what a pile of **** they are. I would learn more down the pub with the guys from work:D

Darren

SCOSaltire 25 January 2003 04:54 PM

edited coz wrong thread oops

[Edited by SCOSaltire - 25/01/2003 16:57:18]