ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I've just been Gatso'd (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/170631-ive-just-been-gatsod.html)

TomGti-6 24 January 2003 01:28 AM

Jusy popped down to the local garage to get some petrol and a sandwich before work when all of a sudden i got zapped twice by a fixed gatso that takes a picture of your rear number plate (the big ugly kind)

Wierd thing is though it was to monitor traffic in the opposite lane and not mine!

Does this mean im o.k as i was travelinng towards it and there wasn't any white lines on my side?

Anyone else had this?

Amanda-Jane 24 January 2003 01:35 AM

That happened to me once on the way home from work but never heard anything about it. :)

AJ

jods 24 January 2003 01:39 AM

Hmm, Heard a bit about cameras zapping when cars are approaching rather than passing over the measurement lines.

Not sure about this but I would have thought that if there were no lines on your carriageway then it would be a matter of conjecture as to whether you were exceeding the speed limit.

Hope you are okay and don't get busted.

Blairs Britain
Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree

Relax, Relax because that is the hardest thing to do...

[Edited by jods - 1/24/2003 1:45:49 AM]

[Edited by jods - 1/24/2003 1:48:24 AM]

Amanda-Jane 24 January 2003 01:49 AM

There are always lines on both sides of the road, just incase of some nutcase who is overtaking :rolleyes:

AJ

TomGti-6 24 January 2003 02:07 AM

it wasn't a dual carriageway just a normal "A" road

Amanda-Jane 24 January 2003 02:17 AM

same with me, normal "A" class road outside a school.

AJ

edited cos I canny spell :)

[Edited by Amanda-Jane - 1/24/2003 2:18:35 AM]

TomGti-6 24 January 2003 03:06 AM

this has made me feel better :)

taken from http://www.speed-trap.co.uk :

I was flashed from the front by a speed camera, can I be prosecuted. In the UK two main types of speed camera exist - they look very similar but work in different ways. The most common speed cameras are the grey boxes on poles that are Gatso's. These use radar to measure a vehicles speed and then take 2 pictures half a second apart of any vehicle that passes above the set limit. Whilst these can be set to fire at the front of vehicles, it is extremely rare for them to be used like this. If a Gatso is on the other side of the road and facing you, they can go off in error and flash. If they do it is not likely to result in you being sent a NiP - in fact we have never heard of a case where the evidence (photo) from a Gatso on the other side of the road has been used to prosecute. The other much less common grey box camera is a Truvelo and this will be set to fire at the front of a vehicle. These use loops in the road to measure your speed (so radar detectors wont detect them) and they will flash in your face. I hear from drivers who have been flashed by these at night and temporarily blinded by the flash. Whilst this does not seem a safe approach, they are certified by the Govt to be used like this. So if you have been flashed from the front by a camera, unless its a Truvelo you are very unlikely to hear any more of it

FERRARINUTTER 24 January 2003 09:02 AM

Get ourself the lateste S6-R Neo from snooper, picks up all cameras and if you change the settings will give you 1000m advance warning.................superb system!!!

alman 24 January 2003 09:39 AM

There's one near my house,
( blackwall tunnel approach,
underneath the sun in the sands roundabout
pointing to catch people before the feed on from the roundabout. )

If I go toward it at 80+ it flashes at me and I never get anything in the post.
But it is on the opposite side of the road and it's a dual carriageway.

workshy_fopp 24 January 2003 10:16 AM

You are ok going towards them - I set one off nearly every morning for a laff. It's best to try and time it so someone else is "in the frame" as it were :D great sport.