ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   ECU reset pictures? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/170022-ecu-reset-pictures.html)

Dark Blue Mark 22 January 2003 02:18 PM

I had a quick look under the dash last night (back is now buggered)
Where abouts are the black and green wires, and what do the connector plugs look like? Are the wires part of a big loom or on their own in a group of four?

Looked on search but there are no pics.

Help appreciated.

MB

Fat Blerk 22 January 2003 02:58 PM

DBM,

I fished around blind from the drivers seat until I found the first one..... adeeper delve on my back found them right up under the steering column - you really can't miss them. Mine weren't part of a thick loom - just hanging.....

It was easier to get them together than get them apart, I can tell ya!!!

Edited to say: Oops - forgot to say - its the connectors that are coloured and that you'll be able to see - just plastic "push-lock" connectors............

[Edited by Fat Blerk - 1/22/2003 3:01:30 PM]

Dark Blue Mark 22 January 2003 03:21 PM

So the connectors are coloured but not the wires? I saw some bigish green ones!

Ta for the advice - going for it tonight...

MB

Petrol-Head 22 January 2003 03:26 PM

I did do a thread with pictures on how to do this, there are a couple of ways that i know.

1. Disconnect the battery and leave it for about 15 mins.
2. Do the wire thingy which i couldn't work out either....!
3. Take the wire out of the unit which is situated in the passenger footwell under the carpet (under a metal plate 3 screws.)

hope this helps. :)

Fat Blerk 22 January 2003 03:59 PM

MB -yeah - they aren't small!! An inch long, each one....

Easy to get together, difficult to get apart becuase of the cramped space and pressure required.

Mickle 22 January 2003 04:01 PM

How long do you connect them for to perform the reset? Is it instant? Do you turn the engine on? etc...

Dark Blue Mark 22 January 2003 04:08 PM

Stolen from somewhere....

How to re-set your ECU unit.
ECU clear memory procedure is as follows for auto and manual transmissions:

With engine at operating temperature, turn engine off. Place gear shift lever into park (auto transmission cars only)
Locate the two ECU check connectors, for most cars they are located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector. The exact location of the connectors varies with the different year models, but generally they are located under the steering column on the drivers side.
NOTE: sometimes they are still taped over with some small amount of plastic tape, so look hard, they will be there!
With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.
Turn on ignition, do not start the engine, (and for auto transmission, cycle the gearshift lever from park to neutral and back to park ), depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and hold for a few seconds, and then release.
Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 11 Km/h.
ECU is now re-set.
At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes). If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs.
Once, stop the car and turn off the engine.
Disconnect the plugs.
Job complete

MB

dob 22 January 2003 05:57 PM

done that came up with 42 idle switch error have you got a clue what to do next do i change switch or do i reset switch
cheers

Dyney 22 January 2003 08:27 PM

Handy link (no pic though): http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....htm#_ECU_Reset

dob 22 January 2003 08:48 PM

i've had a look under the bonnet there is two screws on the switch wonder if it is a garage job