ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   clutch pedal crunching (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/168708-clutch-pedal-crunching.html)

p1 tud 18 January 2003 05:49 PM

this happens very occaisionally, maybe every 15 or 20 presses any ideas what it is?? racthet needing wd40 or something hopefully.

Colin P 19 January 2003 12:29 AM

Mine does it too.
I think it is the nylon bush the pedal pivots on but it is under a lot of presure from the spring, so getting it back together after greasing would be a nightmare.

Or it could be at the other end ie release bearing etc...

Colin

scoobyboy 19 January 2003 10:18 AM

we had problems with a few making a crunching noise try taking off the little white holder that holds all the clutch pipes just by the clutch master cylinder and just pull the pipes apart a little more.

p1 tud 19 January 2003 01:37 PM

thanx for the replys guys. will try that. :)

scoobyslut 21 January 2003 01:03 PM

The mod to brake pipes was only to cure a vibration noise I was told, if suffering from a "creak", more likely to be suspect of the pedal box mounting points, so would advise checking the holes where the mounting bolts go through the bulkhead, as they may of started to crack and it is this "flexing" you can hear.

scoobyslut 21 January 2003 01:07 PM

The mod to brake pipes was only to cure a vibration noise I was told, if suffering from a "creak", more likely to be suspect of the pedal box mounting points, so would advise checking the holes where the mounting bolts go through the bulkhead, as they may of started to crack and it is this "flexing" you can hear.

Colin P 21 January 2003 01:16 PM

I removed the clutch pedal assembly at the weekend, took it all apart and greased everything.
The pedal pivot was bone dry and starting to score the bushes.
I also fitted washers either side of the spring pivots to keep everthing aligned as there was a lot of side play.

The pedal feels like new now! well chuffed..........

Colin

Floyd 21 January 2003 01:30 PM

Colin, what grease did you use?

As a slight future note to anyone lubricating rubber parts just remember that some bits require special grease or they eventually seize up.

F

Colin P 21 January 2003 01:34 PM

It was a super duper silicon grease I aquired from work, where we use it for everthing like that.

There are no rubber parts in the clutch pedal assy.

Colin

Colin P 22 January 2003 10:15 AM

Floyd
Is rubber lubrication a big problem for you?
I have always found vaseline did the job.

Floyd 23 January 2003 08:21 AM

KY jelly is best.

p1 tud 26 January 2003 03:08 PM

bttt

Colin P 02 February 2003 06:54 PM

I changed clutch fluid today.
I got all the old fluid out as well as a few air bubbles and replaced with dot 5.
Feels much smoother and a little lighter, worth doing chaps only took about an hour.

Col