ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Saloon or Estate (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/167404-saloon-or-estate.html)

Reaper03 14 January 2003 08:18 PM

Hey there, im thinking of buying an impreza in the next few days, however i can not decide between saloon or estate, just looking for other views on this......
And any other advice that people have would be apreciated...

Cheers

Scratch 14 January 2003 08:31 PM

I have an 1998 5 door, which I chose for the follow reasons :

1. Practicality. seats folded theres load of space for mountain bikes etc, you can even get 1 in plus luguage with the seats up.

2. Looks. I like the 5 door - I wish they did an sti version of the 5 door.

3. Looks - it's not as well known, so I feel more secure leaving it parked in places and still expecting it to be there and undamaged when I return.

chrisp 14 January 2003 08:36 PM

Estate - cost more to buy new, worth less 2nd hand. More practical but noiser with a fruity exhaust back box. Essentially the same car just a different shell. Pays ya money ...........

Reaper03 14 January 2003 08:37 PM

Totaly agree with the down low side of the estate.......
Maybe swaying

scooby-new 14 January 2003 08:38 PM

5 Door (can't bring myself to call it an estate!) cos they are cheaper than the equivalent 4 door saloon. No other reason.

I think the wagon is probably more practical but it doesnt half boom at 135MPH ;-) -unless the boot is full.

Reaper03 14 January 2003 08:39 PM

Boom?????

scooby-new 14 January 2003 08:41 PM

as in "makes a booming noise" like a loud growling - I quite like it actually but it gets tiring after the first 500 miles!

Puff The Magic Wagon! 14 January 2003 10:44 PM

woos :rolleyes:

Get some DynaMat! ;)

Wagons are the best :D

:cool:

Spoon 14 January 2003 10:44 PM

For me it was the looks of a wagon then the hatch.

They did do an STI 5 door.

David_Wallis 16 January 2003 05:52 PM

Same chassis.. (body) whatever you want to call it..

Some argue 5 doors corner better.. Shame you cant get a rollcage for the 5 d00r unless saftey devices custom make it. <read Expensive>

wagon's are subtle.. but noisy...

Especially if you stick a few fuel pumps in the boot..

But thats what the radio is for...

David

coco_scooby 16 January 2003 06:00 PM

hi

a saloon unless you need the space!!!!!!!!

MarkCSC 16 January 2003 06:03 PM

A wagon will draw slightly less attention to you as it doesn't have a park bench for a spoiler sitting on the boot.

You decide if that is good or bad :)

gossythevaleter 16 January 2003 06:36 PM

Has to be a wagon for me had both and prefer the wagon corners better too IMHO however they are noisier than a saloon

Having said that i am seriously considering treating myself too a Sti type R

chriswishart 17 January 2003 02:29 AM

I have a wagon, but prefer the looks of the saloon, however iv had lots and lots of very large items in the back, the salonn would never take anything bigger than a suitcase.

I bought my wagon because i need it for my work, so the wee bit extra at the back is very handy.

No diff in performance, and will see off a t5/t4 with ease.

go for the wagon, go on!!!!!!!!!

Big Daz 17 January 2003 07:55 AM

Wagon Wagon Wagon. More room for Subs and it sounds better too !!

Stuart J 17 January 2003 08:24 AM

Wagon every time, Ive had my STI3 for 2 years & love it, IMO it looks better than the saloon, they are harder to find but worth the search. As for noise I have sound proofed mine but that was only because it is fully decated. Mine may be up for sale soon, why, because I am trying to source a STI 7 Estate, I think they look the dogs. YES they do make one, Import only but their again any decent spec scoob is either a Jap Import or way over priced UK spec. If you want to talk STI estates mail me direct.

Stuart

Gina G-force 17 January 2003 09:08 AM

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Deffo the WAGON.

The NOISE (with Magnex 6"x4" and centre section) is just fantastic. :D
The STEALTH angle has been covered in above posts. :D
The PRACTICALITY is obvious. :D
The HANDLING suffers nowt over the saloon. :D

The only downside I can think of is it's a criminals' dream and there's no current STi wagon... :(
JUST DO IT!!!

Gina G

pbee 17 January 2003 09:18 AM

if you have a dog get a wagon they dont seem to like saloons boots for some reason. if not you would be nuts not to go for a saloon. IMHO.