ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   TV-out Help needed please (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/164311-tv-out-help-needed-please.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 05 January 2003 09:12 PM

Ok want to play files off my pc like films through my widescreen TV. I dont want to burn them to cd etc. What I want to know is what is the cheapest and easiest way to get TV-out on my pc. Only way I have seen so far is a new video card with it included which isnt exactly what I wanted to do.

Any other way to do it and how much does it cost?

DJ Dunk 06 January 2003 08:57 AM

I just use a cheapo GF2MX card with TV-Out and the TVTool software. Works a treat :)

Just connect the composite video cable to a scart block along with phonos from your soundcard and Roberts your mothers brother :)

Bravo2zero_sps 06 January 2003 11:12 AM

Dunk nice one m8. How much would be the cost of that card and the software? Err hang on forget the software cost I have edonkey ;)

Can the card be fitted along with original video card to use just for tv out stuff? I been out of work to long to be asking these questions :rolleyes:

Cheers...

DJ Dunk 06 January 2003 11:21 AM

The card is just a standard graphics card, replaces the one you might have. This model only costs about £40, but if you are a serious games player, you'll need a more powerful card with TV-out too.

A lot of graphics cards come with TV out. Its normally in the form of a yellow composite socket or S-VHS socket on the back of the card next to the monitor port.

TV-Tool is free to trial but, ahem, well, you know ;)

DJ Dunk 06 January 2003 11:39 AM

Both sound good to me :) Not an expert on graphics cards but these look like they'll do the trick.

<Stands back and awaits flames> :D

Bravo2zero_sps 06 January 2003 11:45 AM

Ok :cool: I might post in non scooby realted about dvd players as well as I just heard picture quality isnt fantastic on tv out :(

Basically I want to play vcds and divx stuff but current dvd player doesnt do it altho I did get it free so shouldnt expect too much :D

DJ Dunk 06 January 2003 11:56 AM

Very true, quality isn't great compared to DVD. I prefer to use my X-Box and the Xbox Media Player for it. Means I can run divx files from the Hard Disc at superb quality straight to the TV :)

Bravo2zero_sps 06 January 2003 12:00 PM

Didnt realise xbox played vcds :o might have to see how cheap I can get one of those for then! Get to play loads of games then as well as m8 can get them chipped :D

MattW 06 January 2003 12:01 PM

You could pick up a Radeon 7500 card from the net (ebuyer.com, Dabs etc)for about £40.

That has Svideo TV out, and is a good enough card for gaming without going over board. Mate of mine just bought one, and its certainly better than good.

marcmann 06 January 2003 12:30 PM

sorry to latch onto this thread but I've got a Raddy 9700 with TV-Out (I think!). I have connected the S-Video cable from the card into a scart (got an S-Video connector and composite connections on the scart) and then into the back of my 32" widescreen. I then start PowerDVD and play the DVD but I get nothing on my TV. I've made sure I'm on the right AV Channel but nothing. My old P600 Dell PC let me do this with no problems (32mb Nvidia Card).

I'm confused

Marc

DJ Dunk 06 January 2003 12:49 PM

marcmann - Not sure about the Radeons. TVTool only works with Nvidia based cards tho :o I would imagine you need a similar piece of software for your card which too will defeat macrovision and allow use of the TV-out ports. Is there nothing in the display settings ?

Bravo2zero_sps 01 June 2003 11:28 AM

LOL ok, well I have seen nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 with TV out including cable, svideo-rca and DVI-VGA (what ever those are :rolleyes: )

Saw it in PCWorld for £99 but know it will be cheaper on the web. From what I have heard its a fairly decent card. Would u recommend it?

I shall have a look for the trial version of the software ;)

Just seen this on scan.co.uk

64Mb Chaintech Ge-Force 4 GT460 DDR Mx460 TV Out £78.73

What do think on that?

[Edited by ************** - 1/6/2003 11:31:03 AM]