ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   To Scoob or not to Scoob...that is the question (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/163765-to-scoob-or-not-to-scoob-that-is-the-question.html)

undecided 03 January 2003 04:52 PM

Hi,

New to these boards with a noob question:

Am about to replace my Toyota MR2 with something else and am considering the following cars:

Toyota Celica T Sport (MY03)
Subaru Impreza WRX (MY03)

At the end of the day my head says Celica (less 'problems' forseen in the long run) but my heart says Scooby.

I drive around 25,000 miles a year, will be using the car on company business and spend a lot of it on motorways (but love B roads!)

Not interested in modifying the cars in the future (or so I think)

Any opinions and experience would be welcome...

Gav 03 January 2003 04:58 PM

get a scoob, had mine for two months now m8. trust me, they rock :D :D :D :D

gav....

DaveR 03 January 2003 05:00 PM

I had my new car choice narrowed down to three - the WRX and Celica T-Sport you mention, plus the Honda Civic Type R. After test driving them all I finally went for the scoob, for the 4 wheel drive all-weather capability, practicality (useless back seats in the Celica although the Honda is actually quite good), and also for the presence of the car.

Oh, and I also didn't intend to do any modifying, but you will soon be in the swing of things if you're anything like me (new suspension and exhaust within 6 months)

hope this helps in some way
for what it's worth I thought the Civic was an ace drive, but that the Celica needed a little too much encouragement to get going (although it's good when it does!) :D

cheers
DaveR

undecided 03 January 2003 05:08 PM

Thanks for the posts.

Yeah, I felt the same way about the Celica needing a little too much encouragement to do its thing.

Guess I'm worried that the Impreza is more of a 'target' car for crime. Oh and my wife thinks that people that drive them are boy racers (I guess the way I drive my MR2 on a dry day doesn't help my case!)

Swaying on the side of the Scooby fence. Also, dealer will be Quinby Bros in Baldock - anyone used them before?

SiPie 03 January 2003 05:11 PM

I guess the way I drive my MR2 on a dry day doesn't help my case!
Well buy the scoob and settle your case by driving the same way in the wet :D:D:D

Do it... you know it makes sense :)

DaveR 03 January 2003 05:11 PM

although I recommend the scoob, I gotta agree with you about the 'target for crime' thing - since getting the car I have never been so jumpy about noises outside my house during the night, paranoid about where to park it, etc

but it's all suddenly worth it when you get a weekend blast in the country!!

stevencotton 03 January 2003 05:16 PM

Quenbys was my local dealership, they're not too bad actually but the only gripe I had is that on a 6-monthly (small) service the fluid they used to lubricate door & boot hinges etc was an opaque white fluid which stained the non-colour coded skirts as it dripped down and took a bit of elbow grease to get off.

Steve.

taffyboyo 03 January 2003 05:19 PM

You must follow your heart!
Life is too short to regret anything, so get the scoob!!!!!!
You know you want too!!!!!!!!!

scooby_jim 03 January 2003 05:19 PM

Do not get a Celica 190 T-sport! Had a chance to really boot one on a track-day at Silverstone and the handling is not a patch on the Scoob.. Also used to own an MR2 Roadster, stuck like glue in the dry but the scoob is as good if not better. No comparison in the wet, have not regretted for a minute going from 2 cars to 1 scoob... :D.

Just my twopence anyway.

Can't comment on Civic, never driven one.

Cheers

Jim

Huge 03 January 2003 05:20 PM

Quenby Bros is my local dealership & although I didn't buy my car (MY99) from them, have used their servicing for the last couple of years.

Very impressed with them - sorted out a warranty claim for scratched front windows & lambda sensor with only 2 days of warranty period remaining - and have been very accommodating at getting things done with minimal notice.

Hugh

Brun 03 January 2003 05:27 PM

Take fuel consumption into account. 25k per year is gonna cost alot. You're also looking at a service every 4.8 months, assuming the the MY03 has 10k intervals.
The single biggest kick in the wallet will come from floating around Scoobynet.
I intended to keep my MY99 pretty stock. In the 18 months i've owned it, it's gained a full decat exhaust (£550), Forge dump valve (£150), K&N filter (£70), Eibach srings + wheel laser alingnment + Braided brake hoses (500), full de-tango (£100).
I'm getting very twitchy for more too:D:D:D

undecided 03 January 2003 05:32 PM

Not too worried about servicing or replacement part costs as this will be wrapped up in a monthly maintenance package from the finance company (more expensive in long term, but less hassle)

Ongoing fuel costs might hit me though compared to other cars. Surely motorway driving would keep the mpg up?

Brun 04 January 2003 10:20 AM

From Wetherby to Scotland and back i managed to get 27 mpg.

chrisp 04 January 2003 01:17 PM

From work and back 18mpg :D and thats through 12 speed cameras :D.

chrisp 04 January 2003 01:19 PM

Oh and my wife thinks that people that drive them are boy racers
Funny I think that when I see an MR2 :D

Jooles 04 January 2003 01:41 PM

I work for Toyota (technical instructor) but I drive a scoob. Nuff sed.

fastmoverP1AH 04 January 2003 02:52 PM

I drove a evo 6 makinen one day and the next drove a P1 gotta be the scoob every time mate.

chrisp 04 January 2003 03:09 PM

How dare you say an impreza is better than the best, no ultimate car in the universe an EVO 6 Mak [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img], shame on you ;). So did you think evos were slow as well ;).

fastmoverP1AH 04 January 2003 03:27 PM

No not at all just preferred the way the P1 looked and the way it drove personal preference at the end of the day, performance they are roughly the same there is not a lot in it.

undecided 04 January 2003 05:17 PM

Thanks to all that have posted.

As of 30 minutes ago, I now have an order in for a MY03 WRX, delivery (fingers crossed) in March from Quenby Bros in Baldock.

Now all I have to do is count the days, minutes and seconds...

unclebuck 04 January 2003 05:41 PM

screech... :D

chrisp 04 January 2003 05:44 PM

fastmoverP1AH - I guess you knew I was joking with the EVO comment. I only do it to wind the Lancer boys up there egos are fragile u know ;) :D.

Congrats "undecided" and welcome to the fold. BTW you will need to create an new account as you cant change a username unless you want to be undecided forever :D.

undecided 04 January 2003 07:55 PM

Thanks for the tip re: username.

Will do it now.

Silverback 04 January 2003 08:00 PM

et voila

(previously registered as 'undecided', 'cos I was, but am not now!)

DaveR 06 January 2003 07:23 AM

you've made the right decision silverback/undecided - makes sure you reward our advice with some piccies in the members section when your new beast arrives!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Silverback 06 January 2003 10:26 AM

Will do! Just have to make sure i don't go the same way as when I got my MR2 a few years ago.

Rear wheel drive, rainy night, pulling away from a roundabout...next stop hedge.

Boy am I looking forward to AWD...