ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Looking for owners with upgraded brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/163592-looking-for-owners-with-upgraded-brakes.html)

rb5_336 03 January 2003 12:25 AM

Based in West Sussex but regularly drive up/down M23 and round M25.

Upgraded to AP Racing 6 pots, and think they are awesome!

Sean

TBMeech 03 January 2003 09:42 AM

Andrei,

I'm based in Redhill, I've got the AP 4 Pots with 330mm disks which are pretty good, but....given the choice again after driving Gixxermans Type R with AP 6 pots on i'd defo go for the 6's all day long.

Dyney 03 January 2003 09:21 PM

Subarussian,
If you can aford them the AP 6 pots are the best!! IMHO

The Movit's have a problem clearing most wheels (AFAIK)

The Hi-spec/ TSL kit is good (though a friend has had some problems with a kit he got direct from Hi-spec)

There is also the Scoobysport/ KAD kit:)

Subarussian 03 January 2003 10:21 PM

Dyney,
Thanks for your reco.
After reading a lot of contradictory posts (i.e. it seems that everybody praises the kit that they've got and rubbishes all others) I've decided that the best way to figure it out is to checkout all the options myself. That's why I am looking for people with different kits to get a quick demo.
Cheers,
Andrei

Danny Fisher 04 January 2003 09:27 AM

Andrei, I have had the AP 4 and 6 pot calipers on my car. I still have the 6 pots at the moment, but shall be coming off soon.

IMHO, and I cant remember if you do track days or not, but you will only need the AP 4 pot kit at most. With the right pads in these you will not get a soft pedal or fade, and yet they give some of the best braking I have had to date. At times better than the 6 pots.

Dan

TBMeech 04 January 2003 01:05 PM

Andrei,

come to the sussex meet tomorrow @ 12pm Pease Pottage, you can have a demo of my 4 pots if you like :)

Toby

Fizz 05 January 2003 11:47 AM

YHM

Subarussian 05 January 2003 09:48 PM

Sorry, read too late about the meet :(

Guys, you all should have mail from me.

Any others out there?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 06 January 2003 04:10 PM

Brembo/APs from SS

Never tried anything else & they work well for me :D (Last of the late-brakers ;) )

Dyney 06 January 2003 07:38 PM

Puff,
I don't think they supply that kit any more?????

moved over to the KAD kit.

Though I could be wrong:)

Subarussian 09 January 2003 06:37 PM

Hello! Anybody else out there???

dowser 10 January 2003 06:53 AM

Come to Switzerland and drive any number of Impreza's with Movit's :)

Richard

Subarussian 11 January 2003 02:03 PM

:)

Got a quote from JAS Traction for Movit 4-pots -- same price as AP 6-pots! Doesn't make sense. It may be as good as AP4s (?) but lacks the brand name, image, re-sale value, etc. I am pretty sure Movit is not as good as AP6s, so their price strategy is insane IMHO.

Having talked to Alcon/Prodrive, AP and Hi-Spec people at the NEC show yesterday, I am thiking of 'short listing' AP4s or Alcon/Prodrive4s.

I am very keen to talk and meet with owners of these kits.

Cheers!

Markus 12 January 2003 11:56 AM

dowser, he don't need to go to swizterland! he can chat to me! :D

I've got the movit kit on the wagon. Dyney is correct, wheel size is a problem, well, ofset of wheels. I'm running 15mm spacers on each front wheel to accomodate the calipers under MY01 wheels. I could get a set of wheels with an offset that negates the use of the spacers, but at the time I'd just got the wheels, so did not want to swap them.

The brakes are very good, and about the same prices as AP 6 pots. I went for them due to them being a bit different, and I think I'm one of only 2 or 3 (if that) people in the UK with movits on an impreza. If you want more info, then email me.

Danny Fisher 12 January 2003 08:00 PM

When you come to replace the discs, you will find that the Alcon stuff is VERY expensive.

The AP kits are discs and bells. The Alcons are one piece discs. Speak to Chuck about them.

Get yourself some AP's. You wont go far wrong. :)

Dan

Glenn_R 13 January 2003 10:29 PM

Put AP 4 Pots with 330mm discs on my MY00 then put them on the P1 when I got it. High speed braking capability is excellent. IMHO the 4 Pots are more than adequate for road use and the odd track day as you'll probably never get to the limits of the 6 Pots without slicks!

Chose APs over the Alcons because the disks can be replaced without bells which saves a few hunderd quid!! Also have heard mixed reviews about Alcons - some love and some disappointed with. Never heard a moan about AP's yet.

Oh yes and they look the biz too. Money well spent!

hypoluxa 13 January 2003 10:59 PM

I'm with Danny and Glenn on this one.

I used to have AP 4 pots and have changed to the 6 pots - mainly because I got a good deal, and their red :D

Otherwise I wouldn't have changed them. I Did a couple of track days with the 4 pots and suffered hardly any wear, during the same period my mate went through 2 sets of discs on his Alcon kit.

lefos-WRX 14 January 2003 04:21 PM

Hello!

AP 4s Vs Brembo 4s (STi)

Which is better for my '01 WRX(PPP)?

Subarussian 20 January 2003 10:01 PM

Still looking... Are you all running standard brakes? ;)

wally 20 January 2003 10:34 PM

I have Prodrive discs 300mm with original calipers and Pagid Bleu RS42, braking is very hard with a very hard pedal and initial bite from top. Also high speed braking is nit a problem.
Try the other night to fade them (on the highway) but couldn't,
Maybe later on the 'ring' or so but you have to wait for that answer...

Sbradley 24 January 2003 01:51 PM

Hi Andrei,

Upgraded to Hi-Spec 4 pot Billet calipers on 355mm disks :D

Based around Croydon. Reigate not a problem.

SB

Subarussian 01 March 2003 12:20 AM

Hi

I am looking for Scooby owners with upgraded brakes in SW London or Reigate area (or in between the two).

I want to upgrade the brakes on my UK MY00 but there is too much contradictory info written here, so probably the best thing is to see and experience the real things, and talk to the people who have done it.

Specifically I would like to here from people with:

AP 4s and 6s
TSL / Hi-Spec
Movit
Prodrive 4s
Other similar kits

Please post here or e-mail me off line.

Cheers,

Andrei

[Edited by Subarussian - 1/3/2003 10:10:56 PM]