ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Advice on buying a new PC (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/163194-advice-on-buying-a-new-pc.html)

Tim W 01 January 2003 03:55 PM

I've finally had enough of my old PC (and I mean old...Pentium 200mmx running windows 95!) and want to replace it.

I'm tempted to buy a new Laptop, either an ACER Aspire 1301XV (at around 755 quid) or a Sony Vaio PCG FX801 (at around 850) but haven't been able to find any reviews on either, anyone got one, or know much about them?

I would rather spend a lot less money and get something reasonable, I might keep a mini tower system, but if I do that I want to stay under 400 quid for a new mini tower PC or second hand laptop...any recomendations...bit tempted by Europc's deals at the moment...

I don't use the PC for gaming, have a Playstation for that :rolleyes: mainly for web browsing, e-mail, the odd spreadsheet and letter...oh and storing my datalogs and maps from the Link ecu I run! I'm also thinking about getting a digital video camera so wouldn't mind getting a PC that I could use to edit videos as well.

I'll also probably be chaning from NTL's terrible dialup to their broadband service with the new pc.

Any thoughts and recomendations?

[Edited by Tim W - 1/1/2003 3:58:08 PM]

kamikaze 01 January 2003 04:34 PM

staples do a cheap system for 330 excluding monitor.
think its a 1.2 gig duron cpu with reasonable grpahics card
no need for any more power.
you wont notice the difference unless gaming.

ScoobyTal 01 January 2003 04:42 PM

build it yourself its simple

just built a

Duron 1300
256meg sdram
40gig 7200rpm hdd
on board sound graphics
case psu
fdd
kb mouse
17" monitor
dvd drive
56k modem
lan
usb ports ect

320 quid all - local computer fair

cdrw 40 speed another 40 quid

resonable 3d card 50 quid

Tim W 01 January 2003 05:45 PM

Building myself would probably end in disaster ;) although I would then be able to ensure a good motherboard!

Hmmm...I wonder if Pat is busy...

ChristianR 01 January 2003 07:03 PM

how much are you wanting to spend? drop me an email - vat savings n all ;)

James Neill 01 January 2003 07:10 PM

I think the EuroPC deals are pretty good at the moment. To be honest the E-Machines P4 1.5 512 CDRW at £299 would be perfect for your needs (ie, no gaming which otherwise would be the biggest driver for high-end hardware). Get the 17" monitor though.

The only other approach I'd consider is *******ising your current system and purchasing upgrades. But you'd probably be hard pressed to get new MB, HD, RAM, chip etc for less than £299

Regards
James

the asterix's were meant to say B A S T A R D I S I N G

[Edited by James Neill - 1/1/2003 7:11:54 PM]

Tim W 01 January 2003 07:49 PM

Erm...using my existing system as a base...nah not worth it!

ATX case ok, that's usable, as is the DVD/CDRW...the rest of it is junk! Pentium 1 motherboard with EDO ram :eek:

16mB Voodo fx graphics card...PCI I think or ISA? whichever isn't supported anymore :rolleyes:

20Gb hard drive...which has loads of corrupted sectors helping my PC to have a tizzy after 2 hours or so being left on...

Diamond Stealth modem is good though!

I've already got a 17" monitor so that's alright...

Mind you if I strip the thing back down to a basic system I suppose it could be used as a firewall...

Chris@Excal 02 January 2003 11:50 AM

Tim W,
Where are you based, how is this for a good deal......?
Duron 1.2 Pro System (Ready Assembled) + CDWRITER instead of CDROM
Duron 1.2 Pro + Motherboard Onboard Sound / Video / Network 256megs 133 Memory 30gig Harddrive CDROM Floppy Drive Modem Speakers Keyboard Mouse All ready assembled and tested. (Requires installation of an Operating System & Monitor to complete system)
All for £300 inc delivery!
Let me know if you are interested,
Chris