ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   Waddya think I've done? (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/162351-waddya-think-ive-done.html)

ScoobyDoo555 28 December 2002 05:43 PM

Hmmm. Got a Sony CDX CA850 H/Unit, now connected to a Kenwood 12" sub (thru a JBL 2ch amp) - Thanks to those who responded in my other post!!!:)

However, from what was all working properly to now, well, not at all - I'd like somebody to confirm my suspicions....

When reseating the Head Unit bakc into the slot, the display power vanished!!! You can still insert a CD and Eject it, but cannot power up the unit :( Even tried the reset button.

Me thinks that I've snagged a cable behind the H/U (hopefully), otherwise, it's a dead HU.

Which cable do you think I've snagged? I'm gonna take it out in the morning and re-install it.

Any suggestions in the meantime?

Thanks in advance :)

Dan [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

john_s 28 December 2002 06:00 PM

Sounds like the ignition switched 12V wire to me.

John

ScoobyDoo555 28 December 2002 06:24 PM

Kinda what I was thinking - there's an 'interesting' wiring harness from the Subaru wiring to the Sony :) I've probably disturbed it when re-seating the Head Unit :rolleyes:

Gonna plug my old Impreza radio in first, just to make sure (using the original wiring loom) Then re-connect everything (checking and re-wiring as necessary) GOD how I hate bodgers!!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

* before you say - I've only had the car about 2months!!!:D This is not my wiring!:)

Of course, even if the 12V ignition has come loose, I'd still be able to load/unload CDs.....

Roll on daylight!!! :D

Have to have it done in the morning - going to a meet in the afternoon (NEED choons!!!!:D:D:D:D:D)

Dan :)

BigRed 28 December 2002 09:59 PM

Had this with a kenwood unit and a nasty goodmans unit both had the same problem insert a cd and eject a cd but no amp output or tuner display, cause to these problems a loose 12v ignition controlled feed. If no joy from checking harness connection points (there are 3 on my00 all behind the head unit which is a VERY tight fit and so it is very easy to accidently loosen a cable when refitting H/U) then could be a suspect head unit.

BigRed

ScoobyDoo555 30 December 2002 11:21 AM

OK - Head Unit DOES work (albeit in the wife's car!!!:rolleyes:)

However, the stereo still won't power up :(
What are the connections for the stereo? where is the 12V feed?

Someone mentioned that there are 3 different feeds behind the Head Unit.

Is is something I can check for (such as a blown fuse) or should I pop to my dealer to get it sorted?

Thanks in advance

Dan (v annoyed that THIS install is falling to pieces[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img])

TBMeech 30 December 2002 12:53 PM

Best bet is to get a voltmeter and check the +12v live and switched to make sure you're still getting power correctly.

ScoobyDoo555 30 December 2002 02:53 PM

Now sorted - turns out that the clock/radio fuse had blown :rolleyes:

I overlooked this fuse coz I thought that if the clock worked, so would the radio!!!! D'Oh!!!

All installed and working now.... :)

mmmm.........bass :D

edited to add why it had blown - a stray strand from the crimped 'remote' cable :rolleyes:

Lesson learnt - do NOT install ICE in the dark and also TAKE YOUR TIME!!!:D

Dan

[Edited by ScoobyDoo555 - 12/30/2002 3:01:04 PM]

BigRed 30 December 2002 06:16 PM

Don't crimp , solder!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScoobyDoo555 30 December 2002 06:29 PM

;)

Had left my soldering iron at work!!:D

Dan

Never thought I'd say this, but roll on next week when I go back to work:D:D:D:D