ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   On a scale of 1 to 10????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/160836-on-a-scale-of-1-to-10-a.html)

HCMH 20 December 2002 09:06 AM

I am going to be a Scooby owner for the first time in the next month (very exciting!). I have read numerous threads on this BBS and it has been a massive source of info and great to see there is such a following.

I have always been lucky with the reliability of my previous cars (Westfield, Caterham & Lotus Elise) and I have always been led to beleive that Subaru are very reliable (in standard form). Can you guys assure me that this is the case as I am totally new to this car - thanks in advance.

HH

chrisp 20 December 2002 09:11 AM

They are if you keep them pretty much standard and follow service intervals, use good oil and fuel.

HCMH 20 December 2002 09:14 AM

Thanks Chris...which oil would you recommend? I have always used mobil 1 in the past - any good for Subaru?

chrisp 20 December 2002 09:39 AM

Many threads and issues over oil. If you intend using mobil 1 please stay way from the 0w40 version as its way too thin. I see you are from Italy so I dont know if you get the Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W50 which is what a lot of people use. I personally use Silkolene Pro S 15W50 ( I think) fully synthetic. Best to check with your local dealer what they recommend as you may invalidate a warranty be using the wrong oil. Subaru UK use to recommend Shell helix. If it a new car then some people recommend a semi-synthetic upto about 7000 miles to allow the car to bed in and them swap to a fully synthetic. Best to have a look the techincal forums as there is plenty of info.

My oil is swapped every 2,500-3,000 miles which is what Subaru Japan recommend I think.

Cheers

ChrisP

HCMH 20 December 2002 09:50 AM

Cheers Chris,

Appreciate the words of wisdom...I am going to be buying 2nd Hand from the UK (LHD) and importing over here. Judging from the state of most of the cars here, I suspect they are all running on Olive Oil!!!

Thanks

HH

dnb 20 December 2002 09:54 AM

You'll hear plenty of horror stories here. I don't listen to them any more, as in the main, the cars are reliable. Mine's needed a few new bits this year (dampers & a clutch), but no more than any other car ("performance" or otherwise) - and most of those bits were because it gets a hard life on the "twisties" :)

Enjoy it :) They're great fun.

banshi 20 December 2002 09:57 AM

I have owned Scoobys for around five years, and we also have another in the family. All are standard, except for the addition of Prodrive enhancenment, braided lines, upgraded pads & fluid.

I've done a couple of trackdays, numerouse sedate ;) runs with other owners, driven to the Catalyna Rally ctc.

The cars has been serviced by main agents to maintain the UK warranty with interim changes of oil/filter where necessary.

Experience so far, with a combined mileage well in excess of 100,000:- no serious problems.

Other than tyres/brakes only cost has been replacement discs (MY99), anti roll bar bushes & cracked windscreen (MY01).

There is much discussion about choice of oil, Mobil, Castrol, Silkolene & Motul all have a following - really a matter of personal choice.

HCMH 20 December 2002 10:06 AM

All very encouraging and I cannot wait to get the car here. I have the fortune of living at the foot of the dolomites and the roads are made for the scooby...thanks for all your help.

TelBoy 20 December 2002 10:09 AM

8.0456, to four decimal places.

:p

HCMH 20 December 2002 10:20 AM

???????????????????????????????

TelBoy 20 December 2002 10:21 AM

Well so far i think i'm the only one who's actually answered the thread question...

:p

HCMH 20 December 2002 10:24 AM

I'd forgotten all about that....doh!

Fuzz 20 December 2002 04:41 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10?????

I'd give her one....
Oh sorry wrong thread :D ;)

Riftzone 21 December 2002 09:50 AM

10 - completely reliable. havin ran rovers and fords, i always used to ask the rac how many subaru's they attended and always got blank looks back...

Toonman1 21 December 2002 04:42 PM

'94L - duff clock in 50K miles (fixed under warranty)
'96N - duff horn connection in 50K miles (FUW)
'98R - duff CD player in 55K miles (FUW)
'02 WRX PPP - nothing so far in 8K miles

9.5/10