ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Any Advice Please - Flat spot/hesitation @ 4,000 rpm (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/160627-any-advice-please-flat-spot-hesitation-4-000-rpm.html)

SiPie 19 December 2002 10:51 AM

Did the search on hesitation and nothing seems to match what I'm currently experiencing :rolleyes:

MY99 UK Car, 83,500 Miles FSSH,(Due plugs at 90k so maybe due to that) MAF new and clean, Lambda new and clean..... Boost seems ok but generally feels as if car is holding back from 4,000 - 5,000 rpm. Seems slightly exaggerated following new Falkland (magnex) downpipe but existed previously.

Unfortunately Falkland didn't have time to Deltadash and ECU showing no error codes :confused:

I know it's a shot in the dark but anyone had similar.

Many thanks in advance :)

john banks 19 December 2002 12:07 PM

Check plug gap and set to .7mm. Also check if overboosting - watch gauge carefully during spool. Cold weather and DP makes this likely.

SiPie 19 December 2002 12:11 PM

Thanks John

Advice greatly appreciated :)

Gez 19 December 2002 12:28 PM

Could it be a lean spot??? I had a similar prob and found that it was a lean spot and a pretty bad one at that. Best thing to do isto hook Deltadash on the car and do a few runs.

Gez

LG John 19 December 2002 01:06 PM

I get this too....very noticable and very obvious. Is this consistent with other tek2.5 cars John?

I'll describe what its feels like in laymans terms:

2nd gear long straight road at 1500rpm....Mash foot to the floor and the car picks up slowly....2000rpm, boost going up quickly and accelerating.....3000rpm full thud in the back and we're off..:D....:D...about 4500rpm (can't be too sure) boost starts to drop back and....:eek:...loss of power, car now quite flat feeling and very tempted to change gear.....prevail with it and 5500rpm (ish)...thud...accelerating hard again :confused:....:D....:D....Pulling so hard and enjoying so much....:eek: rev limiter...Change up with a bang :D:D:D:D

To me it feels like how a CTR might feel if you fitted a TDO4 turbo to it. You get stonking shove from the turbo low down and in the midrange but it runs out of puff just before the VTEC cams start up. Its like there is a gap :confused:

It far more noticable in the cold and I've been meaning to pester John (as usual ;):rolleyes:) to get his thoughts on it.

dowser 19 December 2002 02:13 PM

I've found that you can *feel* a Dawes on a car - it oscillates a the boost a bit through the midrange.....gives your ecu a good workout :D

Richard

john banks 19 December 2002 02:56 PM

No Kenny, there is nothing wrong with the map - the fuelling is generous and the curves are smooth. Must be fuel surge ;) :eek: Sorry couldnay resist. Merry Xmas :)

LG John 19 December 2002 04:18 PM

:D I'll let you away with it.......this time ;):D

Edited to say Merry Christmas :)

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 12/19/2002 4:19:22 PM]