ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Maybe I need to spend some cash now ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/160255-maybe-i-need-to-spend-some-cash-now.html)

Hndatch627 18 December 2002 07:59 AM

sounds like you may have taken a ring land off, been there done that, adding a 6psi kit with a crappy Deltagate(boost spike crazy) to a dynamic compression 10:1 subaru kissed a ring land good by in under 1k miles.

Andy.F 18 December 2002 09:13 AM

Yea, I think it's hinting "spend some money on me, you tight Scots git" !! ....... Or was that Mark ;)

David_Wallis 18 December 2002 10:46 AM

:(

MorayMackenzie 18 December 2002 11:52 AM

Well, IIRC, you've had a very good run for the money you've already spend on the engine internals. ;) :) Glad you have decided to open it up before it opens itself up. :)

Its going to be interesting to see how much more you will be able to get out of the engine after you've strengthened the internals a bit. :)

LG John 18 December 2002 12:19 PM

:( Good that you caught it now before it developed. Hope its nothing too major.

Sam Elassar 18 December 2002 01:29 PM

could be a broken valve?

still maynot be that expensive ;) :p

the question is, when you open it up much are you going to replace? just the broken bits or are you going to rebuilt the whole engine.

sam

dowser 18 December 2002 03:36 PM

Replace? Why not duct tape? :)

Sorry to hear it Andy - it would be useful to identify what is failing (for the greater good, so to say :)) before it goes big time.

Richard

AlanG 18 December 2002 07:26 PM

Better get cracking Andy.

Well Lane 4's only a few weeks away :eek: ..or is that deffo out the window? :(

Alan :cool:

Andy.F 18 December 2002 07:32 PM

Depends on a mutual agreement between my bank manager and Mark Aigin :D :D I'm just a bystander now ;)

T-uk 18 December 2002 07:39 PM

I picked it up on the knocklink as 'lift off det' a few weeks back

they all do that-don't they? :eek:

Andy.F 18 December 2002 07:45 PM

My one never used too !!!

T-uk 18 December 2002 07:50 PM

only greens or more?

sure my car has always flashed the greens on high rev lift off's.

group-buy from mark anyone!

Andy.F 18 December 2002 07:53 PM

Nah, think you're ok :) I can get it climbing right up the tree on light load but quiet at full boost. Remember at Knockhill we thought it was the turbo discharge pipe rattling that was causing it.

R19KET 18 December 2002 11:02 PM

Andy,

I'm terribly sorry, if it turns out to be terminal. You know my feelings from my email.

Joking aside, these are not the circumstances which I want to get business from. I'd far rather people "chose" the time they want to up grade.

I hope it turns out to be something cheap, and easy to repair. I'm also looking to limit the competition :D

Mark.

David_Wallis 19 December 2002 12:28 AM

like i said... let me know if i can do anything to help or if you need anything sourcing... mark will vouch for my contacts :D

David

teknopete 24 December 2002 08:37 PM

Hi Andy,

Sounds exctly like the symptoms I had pre the "big BANG".
We did a compression test just before big red clocked out and found that no3 was 60 psi down. All cyls were around the 150 mark except no3 which was approx 90 psi. Now as you know after knockhill she died :( Maybe worth doin the check m8.
BTW haven`t split the block yet 2 c the damage but the symptoms sound 2 similar bud. Lemme know how u get on ;)

Pete

Adam M 26 December 2002 11:06 AM

sorry to hear that andy, but definitely looking forward to seeing what you'll do next.

teknopete 26 December 2002 11:18 PM

Good stuff Andy,

Glad 2 hear it`s not gonna be a bad un 2 fix ;)
Hmmm.. might even crack my old 1 open for a butchers, wot with the symptoms sounding so similar. After having a full read of the thread can`t believe how similar "thought it was the turbo discharge pipe rattling" :) Uncanny how parallel our thinkin was there mate. And a spare engine would be nice :D
Lookin 4 ward 2 seeing ur`s fixed up 4 the new season, so c`mon bud, get her sorted. It wouldn`t be the same without some real competition.

BTW u got a list of the torque settings for the engine ?
If u do any chance of a copy ?

L8r m8
Pete

[Edited by teknopete - 12/26/2002 11:20:28 PM]

Pavlo 27 December 2002 12:24 AM

Mark has some Sti 4 pistons

or I have an Sti 5 short engine

Solid lifter heads are indeed a bonus, any measurement of the diameter? Cam lift would be interesting too.

Paul

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 27 December 2002 02:51 AM

Although there is no visible signs of det on the pistons, surely this is what caused the broken piston???
Solid lifters?? wouldnt that be expected in an RA. The 93 RA my mate had over 4 years ago ( albeit for only 4 days ) had a rev limit of 8000rpm...went bloody well too for a completley std car.
The rings do seem to be made of strong stuff.. Ive seen pistons totally melted around the rings, and they still havent broken

john banks 27 December 2002 11:20 AM

:) Glad to hear the internals have survived otherwise. Would be interesting to hear how much the pistons weigh compared to a Phase II UK car if you could weigh one. I'm sure someone would know the weight of a UK piston.

Pavlo 27 December 2002 12:00 PM

I think the phase 2 cast pistons are like the Sti pistons size and shape wise, but the Sti ones are definitely different.

I suspect the late pistons are lighter than the early ones, but not as strong.

Interestingly, I wonder if the std phase 2 pistons are close enough to the weight of the Sti ones, that the conrod loadings are the same?

Paul

R19KET 27 December 2002 12:40 PM

Andy,

If you have solid lifters, the heads aren't original. Are you sure that they aren't hydraulic ? Do the buckets/followers have a groove around them, and about 28mm in dia'.

Mark.

Andy.F 27 December 2002 12:59 PM

There is just a little top hat shim between the valve and the follower. I'll go have another look, I don't recall a groove :rolleyes:
Is it standard for the cam bearing caps to be etched with their locations ?

R19KET 27 December 2002 01:19 PM

Andy,

If you have shims, then they are solid lifter.

If they are "top hat" shims, as against small discs, then they have definately been played with, maybe converted at some point ?

Subaru only started making solid lifter heads in '97, so it looks like your engine's been apart at some point.

Mark.

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 27 December 2002 01:57 PM

I dont know for a fact, one way or the other, but given the higher rpm of the RA, wouldnt solid lifters be expected???

Also look at this link
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~miner/Impreza/misc_dataeg.html
copy and past it into here to translate the website
web translator thingy :D

I does seem to say that RA's do have solid lifters, with lesser models having Hydraulic Lash adjustment from what i gather from the translation. The coil on plug direct ignition would suggest it is an early model, as would the TD05H turbo, whcih also appears to be slightly larger for the RA and post 94 models.
Make interesting reading??

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 12/27/2002 2:02:41 PM]

Andy.F 27 December 2002 05:22 PM

Right, Followers are 30mm diameter, 23mm long (very light)
The top hat type shims have a marking (size?) such as 32 or 25.
The heads are early bolt on coil type.
Cams are marked R3IN R3EX L3IN L3EX. Also M9 cast in to shaft.
Pistons (ART) weigh 490gms pin 145gms.

Does that help ?

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 27 December 2002 06:39 PM

How about some pics too Andy ??
The cam carriers are usually engraved with locations, and the cams are also marked as you locations.
Not sure what the 3 refers to, or the M9

T-uk 27 December 2002 07:12 PM

Mark,

can you say which MY cars have metal cam pulleys?

I noticed andy's are plastic but always thought the early cars were metal.

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 27 December 2002 07:37 PM

Didnt think the plastic was til after 96ish??